Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

There are a couple of things I really rely on when considering a hybrid.. I know the profile on this one is a bit more streamlined than many we see on the market, but I do have a couple of questions I'd like to hear about.. If they've been answered already whoops, but I wouldn't mind seeing this combined a bit, and of course why you feel that way..

1 - Do you feel more confident with this vs an iron?
2 - Does the face size and head size ever cause you issues hitting high on the face?
3 - What is the main miss you see, and is that similar to other hybrids? How about other irons?
4 - The shaft is 70 grams(ish)? Do you think that's a good weight for you? Would you be more inclined to match your iron weighting or your 3 wood weighting if given the option?

5 - You're standing on the tee box of a short par 4... This hybrid gives you an 8 or a 9 iron into the green, and your 3 wood gives you some form of wedge. You can't miss right or left off the tee, else you're in trouble... Which are you more inclined to hit? Is this hybrid a fairway finding solution, or a quality contact solution?

There are a couple of things I really rely on when considering a hybrid.. I know the profile on this one is a bit more streamlined than many we see on the market, but I do have a couple of questions I'd like to hear about.. If they've been answered already whoops, but I wouldn't mind seeing this combined a bit, and of course why you feel that way..

2 - Does the face size and head size ever cause you issues hitting high on the face?
3 - What is the main miss you see, and is that similar to other hybrids? How about other irons?
4 - The shaft is 70 grams(ish)? Do you think that's a good weight for you? Would you be more inclined to match your iron weighting or your 3 wood weighting if given the option?

5 - You're standing on the tee box of a short par 4... This hybrid gives you an 8 or a 9 iron into the green, and your 3 wood gives you some form of wedge. You can't miss right or left off the tee, else you're in trouble... Which are you more inclined to hit? Is this hybrid a fairway finding solution, or a quality contact solution?
Thanks for chiming in Dan, let's see if I can answer these questions.

1. Am I more confident with this vs an iron? In terms of loft, yes..absolutely. I dont game a 3iron, nor would I want to attempt to, so this in a long iron replacement is money.

2. I miss high on the face with this club. It's been my biggest struggle. With that, I still see a good shot, just a distance loss. At times, I really hit under the ball and scoop it up. No dummy marks on mine, though.

3. My miss with this one is a low cut, similar to my miss with other hybos. My miss with a long iron is a pull left, mainly because I really try to step on it and smash the heck out of the ball. With this, smooth tempo is the name of the game.

4. I like the weight here in the hybrid. It's similar to other hybrids I have played in the past, but lighter than my previous 7W.

5. Definitely a fairway finding solution. If I can hit this hybrid to the 150 marker or inside of it, I will play it all day. I hit my 3W well off the tee, so both could be an option, but I am more likely to miss with my 3W than with the Xhot hybrid. I know what it's going to do, and I know what it will give me.

1 - Do you feel more confident with this vs an iron? - Absolutely. I have trouble getting enough on the ball out of the rough with my irons. With this clubs I have no trouble at all. It is almost effortless. I am contemplating taking my 5 iron out of my bag all together. Lately when I need to hit 5 iron, I have been just choking down on this club a bit and swinging nice and easy.

2 - Does the face size and head size ever cause you issues hitting high on the face? My swing is not nearly as consistent as someone like yours would be but even when I do mishit it off the toe or hit it high off the club, the ball just goes. Maybe not with the ball flight I want but forward progress is always a plus for me.

3 - What is the main miss you see, and is that similar to other hybrids? How about other irons? The main miss I see is solely due to me being a terrible golfer. When I hit this club solid, like I should, I dont really have a miss with it. Sometimes the ball flight isnt as high as other times but I have had NO issues at all hooking this club, which is what I was worried about with the offset. Same problem I was having with my Mashie HY. With my irons my miss is usually hitting it thin or off the toe and I havent see that at all which is why I have so much more confidence with this club.

4 - The shaft is 70 grams(ish)? Do you think that's a good weight for you? Would you be more inclined to match your iron weighting or your 3 wood weighting if given the option? The weighting on the shaft works well for me. I have the XHot driver with the "same" shaft in Stiff but everything else I play is Regular Flex. I decided to stick with R flex in this and couldnt be happier. It's just "whippy" enough for my swing to get the ball up in the air quickly.

5 - You're standing on the tee box of a short par 4... This hybrid gives you an 8 or a 9 iron into the green, and your 3 wood gives you some form of wedge. You can't miss right or left off the tee, else you're in trouble... Which are you more inclined to hit? Is this hybrid a fairway finding solution, or a quality contact solution? I would absolutely pull this club on a short par 4. This club is just straight for me. At the very "worst" is a baby draw but I think the shorter shaft than the woods or driver help me control it a bit more. If I am looking for straight over distance I choke down a bit also.

I'll play too since I'm bored. Hope you don't mind.

1 - Do you feel more confident with this vs an iron? Yes. I'd say that I'm more confident with it than even a 5 iron. Very easy to elevate and hard to hit heavy, which is something that the long iron brings into play for many people (including me).

2 - Does the face size and head size ever cause you issues hitting high on the face? Occasionally, but not often.

3 - What is the main miss you see, and is that similar to other hybrids? How about other irons? Power draw. Same as other hybrids and my irons.

Weight has been fine. No issues for me and no desire to change the shaft.

5 - You're standing on the tee box of a short par 4...

Between this and the fairway wood, I'd take the hybrid. Between this and the Super LS I'd take the LS because it goes farther.

I'll play too since I'm bored. Hope you don't mind.

1 - Do you feel more confident with this vs an iron? Yes. I'd say that I'm more confident with it than even a 5 iron. Very easy to elevate and hard to hit heavy, which is something that the long iron brings into play for many people (including me).

2 - Does the face size and head size ever cause you issues hitting high on the face? Occasionally, but not often.

3 - What is the main miss you see, and is that similar to other hybrids? How about other irons? Power draw. Same as other hybrids and my irons.

Weight has been fine. No issues for me and no desire to change the shaft.

5 - You're standing on the tee box of a short par 4...

Between this and the fairway wood, I'd take the hybrid. Between this and the Super LS I'd take the LS because it goes farther.
I hear you on the Super LS. Comparable lofts, about 20-25 yards different in length. LS is a bomber.

Thanks for the interest and questions Canadan!

1 - I'm far more confident in this 3H than I am in my 5 iron (and without a doubt more than any 3 iron I can imagine).

2 - I have had some misses high on the face that turned into high launches, but I think these were a result of my swing and not an issue with the club profile. I've done this before with other hybrids and woods as well. I could see a really fluffy lie causing problems, but that would be true of many clubs.

3 - My main miss is a slice. Many times it's even an over-the-top-break-your-wrist slice. This miss plagues me throughout my bag when things fall apart, but has still actually seemed to work out pretty will with this club. When I fall apart and can't count on any other club in my bag, I still feel like I can at least advance the ball with this hybrid.

4 - My game and shaft experience may not be refined enough to answer this question fully, but I love the feel of this club. The overall weight and swing weight feel great to me. A year ago I couldn't hit a 3W to save my life, and would have preferred iron weighting. Now, I love my 3W, and would be more inclined to lean that direction for weighting, while still addressing like an iron. (I hope that makes sense)

5 - I could see myself making both choices, honestly. I make a lot of bad decisions on the course. Removed from the situation with time to analyze, I'd pick the hybrid followed by 8 or 9 iron. My confidence in my ability to execute a safe shot with this club is higher than with any other club in my bag. Off the tee it is both a quality contact and a fairway solution for me. It's also a get my tail out of trouble solution when I do make a poor choice off the tee.

I hear you on the Super LS. Comparable lofts, about 20-25 yards different in length. LS is a bomber.

The two I'm comparing are different lofts/lengths.

For me, it's mostly about spin and launch, with both being lower using the LS. That makes for better carry numbers for me. I see some pretty amazing ball speeds with the LS at times as well, but the X-Hot is no slouch in that regard when it comes down to it.

I think the two compliment each other perfectly and having them both in the bag is a great since I have to unique tools at my disposal.

Okay, I'll play also!

1. Absolutely. At least, more so than a 3 iron. This sucker is straight and I can hit it in the air easily. It's MUCH easier to hit, in my opinion. Much, much, MUCH easier. And the consistency is unreal.

2.Occasionally, but I don't think that's due to the face size. I just sometimes get a little too crouched on the swing. This is an issue with all of my clubs, not just this one.

3. My main miss here is a pull. Occasionally I see a small fade. My previous misses were hooks. Hard hooks. The pull is usually only 5-10 yards off my intended line, so it's definitely tolerable in my opinion.

4. I don't really know how to answer this. I'm not the most knowledgeable about shafts and their weightings. However, I have no trouble hitting this one.

5. Fairway finder, no doubt about it. Any time I'm worried about finding the fairway I pull this club. ESPECIALLY if I can't go right. It's just nice and consistent. Every. Single. Time.

Sorry guys. No range for me tonight. Baby is sick. Had to bring her to the Dr.

So I went to the range today to work on fixing the pull. My irons and driver are now going pretty darn straight but both the pro 3 and the regular 4 were absolute hook machines. Need to get that ironed out for sure

Big skim here, but am wondering if anyone can compare these to the Razr X HL hybrids? In terms of distance, forgiveness and feel? My wheel house Razr HL 5h just broke and I'm considering upgrading to the X hot. I won't have a chance to hit outside before deciding and will obviously do a comparison in a simulator, but any insight on this would be awesome. I have a head to head match play with my dad coming up and need to replace this club in the next couple days. These matches are basically cut throat. I wouldn't be surprised if my Dad paid the airlines to break that particular club. I'm joking of course. Kind of.

I think Dev played those ones, buddy!

Big skim here, but am wondering if anyone can compare these to the Razr X HL hybrids? In terms of distance, forgiveness and feel? My wheel house Razr HL 5h just broke and I'm considering upgrading to the X hot. I won't have a chance to hit outside before deciding and will obviously do a comparison in a simulator, but any insight on this would be awesome. I have a head to head match play with my dad coming up and need to replace this club in the next couple days. These matches are basically cut throat. I wouldn't be surprised if my Dad paid the airlines to break that particular club. I'm joking of course. Kind of.

Yes I currently have and have had the Razr X HL's in my bag. I am on my phone right now so I cant find the link but I compared them side by side with the XHot in my first range and on course sessions. If you have any questions or want anything clarified let me know.

Yes I currently have and have had the Razr X HL's in my bag. I am on my phone right now so I cant find the link but I compared them side by side with the XHot in my first range and on course sessions. If you have any questions or want anything clarified let me know.

You are a lifesaver. Thanks, Dev!

Guys, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions I had.. Those are likely the biggest components I put into selecting a club for my bag, and you've done a great job responding!

It seems like the success is nearly unanimous with this club, and that's great to see. A big transition from some of the former Callaway offerings, for sure.

I went from the titleist 909h to the razrx tour last year. This spring I grabbed the x hot pro and really liked it. I was on a par 5 with a decent drive but in the rough figured I was 220 out. Took the hybrid instead of 5 wood figuring there was a decent landing area and no need to take the green or traps on. Hit it solid a little left bit straight were I aimed to landing area short left of the green. Kept walking to the ball and it was nowhere to be found. It was in the side trap along the green ten yards passed the pin. I normally hit my 20 degree about 185-195. This was out of the rough and laced. Thought there was no way I could reach the green/green side bunker. Hole is hard enough going driver wood. Driver rough hybrid is insane. Wish I could get a x bomb patch for that monster!!

So I went to the range today to work on fixing the pull. My irons and driver are now going pretty darn straight but both the pro 3 and the regular 4 were absolute hook machines. Need to get that ironed out for sure

Try keeping the idea of handing the club to someone in front of you! I know this helps me a lot and really straightens my ball flight.

I hit 20 balls with the XHot on the range today over my lunch break. The wind was blowing into us mostly, with an occasional shift to coming from the front right.

I warmed up with my irons and worked my way down the bag before I pulled this out, and my swing was working well. By the time I got to this, I was ready to just swing away and let it rip. I hit from the mats and was flat crushing the ball. I did manage to get some draw action today (helped a little by the wind I'm sure).

I pictured playing the shots as though I were hitting my second shot on a par 5 from over 200 out in the fairway, with my line being between the left side yardage markers and a target mound that sits in the middle of the range. 12 of the 20 shots would have kept me in the fairway. Five shots were pulled or drew left of the yardage markers, but were long and would have been easy to play out. The remaining 3 shall not be discussed.

Last edited:
Guys, thanks for taking the time to answer the questions I had.. Those are likely the biggest components I put into selecting a club for my bag, and you've done a great job responding!

It seems like the success is nearly unanimous with this club, and that's great to see. A big transition from some of the former Callaway offerings, for sure.

This club is almost as good as the fairway metal X Hots that are just incomparable. Flighting/Trajectory is the only issue I've found in the club and even it's not a big deal, just something I would prefer. Just be certain you fill your gaps with the correct loft and you will not be disappointed...

1. Yes, vs the comparably equipped long-iron.
2. Ever? I'd have to say yes depending on the lie. Normal conditions, no; but there are certain lies (fluffy rough or the likes) that could produce these impacts.
3. Normal miss would be high soft baby-fade. I think this could be a side-effect of question #2.
4. This does match my fairway metals and I rather prefer that. If I were using a X-Utility (iron-type hybrid) my answer would probably differ.
5. This club all-day-long. It's MONEY, really...

hit the 18* last night again at Golf Galaxy! i'm super impressed with the xhot pro version. love the smaller head and less offset than the xhot and the distance i'm seeing is great. the face is hot on the hybrids like the fairway woods. can't wait to get mine for the Morgan Cup and get a chance to hit it some more on the course. its gonna be great for the long Par 5s or another option off the tee cause i think the fairway woods are gonna be long as well. so i may need to use the hybo for off the tee for a few of the doglegs. i was seeing some good distance with the 18* around 240 last night on the monitor but i never trust those things cause one of them said i also hit it 297 yards lol anyway another thing is i'm super impressed with the stock shaft in the hybrids and fairway woods they fit me really well and i wasn't sure if i wanted 6.5 or 6.0 but after yesterday i went with the 6.0.

hit the 18* last night again at Golf Galaxy! i'm super impressed with the xhot pro version. love the smaller head and less offset than the xhot and the distance i'm seeing is great. the face is hot on the hybrids like the fairway woods. can't wait to get mine for the Morgan Cup and get a chance to hit it some more on the course. its gonna be great for the long Par 5s or another option off the tee cause i think the fairway woods are gonna be long as well. so i may need to use the hybo for off the tee for a few of the doglegs. i was seeing some good distance with the 18* around 240 last night on the monitor but i never trust those things cause one of them said i also hit it 297 yards lol anyway another thing is i'm super impressed with the stock shaft in the hybrids and fairway woods they fit me really well and i wasn't sure if i wanted 6.5 or 6.0 but after yesterday i went with the 6.0.

Have you hit the non pro version?

Have you hit the non pro version?

yes i hit both of them.... the pro is almost the same size as my i20 i think that plus the fact theres less offset really drew me towards the pro. although the regular xhot isn't as bad when you're hitting it with the offset. but for me the pro just set up better and is closer to what i'm comfortable with i absolutely murder my i20 and everytime i've hit the pro i was seeing the same ball flight and distance if not a little further. and was a very straight ball flight for me.

yes i hit both of them.... the pro is almost the same size as my i20 i think that plus the fact theres less offset really drew me towards the pro. although the regular xhot isn't as bad when you're hitting it with the offset. but for me the pro just set up better and is closer to what i'm comfortable with i absolutely murder my i20 and everytime i've hit the pro i was seeing the same ball flight and distance if not a little further. and was a very straight ball flight for me.

While I love the xhot, it's not nearly as long as other hybrids for me. Im wondering if the offset could be causing me issues or distance loss? See anything different in distance between the two?

While I love the xhot, it's not nearly as long as other hybrids for me. Im wondering if the offset could be causing me issues or distance loss? See anything different in distance between the two?

honestly i havn't hit them head to head i've been to about 5 callaway demo days and i think i've hit them at all of them plus about 4 times at Golf Galaxy. i kinda hit both of them well accurate wise and didn't really worry about checking distance or trying to hit the same loft ....i really just checked distance with the 20* at reunion during my fitting and then the 18* when i had to place my order the other day. i was originally going to go with the 20* then realized with going with a 4 iron in the x hot pro irons which is at 21* they would prob be very close to the same distance so i went 18*. for me i went with what looked the best at address and i was hitting my 18* 240 i currently hit my 17* 245-250 so i figure they are pretty close to the same for me i really wanted to make sure i had a 250 yard club in the bag it comes in handy a lot for me when i can hit my driver off the tee like i said originally i was gonna go 20* hybo then 17* fairway but now i'm going 18* as my 250 yard club then 15* fairway or 14.5* 3deep havn't made my mind up on that yet. but my gapping will be really good throughout the bag. and i'll still have room for PW and 3 wedges prob 50*,55* and 60*.

wonder if the Pro shaft would be better for you war? i dunno how much difference there is but it could be enough to give you some more distance.

Got a chance to play 18 holes today on a lovely Memorial Day. Wasn't a pretty round by any means, but I had a few gems with the X-Hot including hitting the pin on a par 5 for albatross. Of course, it didn't stay in.

Hole 2: This is a fairly short par 4. A decent drive puts you about 210 yards uphill to a generous green guarded by bunkers on the front left and right side. My drive caught a tree limb and dropped down to about 225 yards uphill. Now I know from experience here that 3 wood is too much club (especially with the front pin), so I decided I'd just hit the X-Hot and see what happened. Totally thought I was going to be short. However, I landed the ball in the mouth of the green and it took a friendly hop forward and rolled up fast. This is where it hit the pin. We could see it from where we were standing. The bad news was it kicked the ball off to the far right side of the green where I promptly 3 putted for par. Oh well, I guess. Can't win 'em all.

Hole 4: This is a short, downhill par 4 that's a driveable hole. However, I wasn't driving the ball well today so I decided to go ahead and hit the hybrid and lay up to a flat spot on the fairway. Sure enough, nice little baby draw that went high and soft. The ball didn't move any more than 3 feet from it's ball mark. Gave me a short wedge into the hole from about 120 yards (downhill is so drastic near the green that it probably plays about 80). Put it on and 2 putted for a par.

Hole 7: Another hole that I didn't want to hit driver on because I wasn't controlling it well. Pulled the X-Hot to lay up to about 140 yards. Nice little baby draw once again that landed barely into the first cut on the left side. Rolled into the rough, but was still a great angle into the green.

Hole 8: This was a longer par 5 with an all uphill tee shot, so unless you can hit it over the top of the hill and catch the downhill slope, you're always looking at about 230 yards in. I decided I might as well hit the X-Hot again. I definitely had to put a little ass into that one to carry it the whole way (green is built up on a gnoll and anything short rolls back 20 yards to the creek in front). Smoked the heck out of the ball and missed pin high left. Up and down for a birdie.

Hole 11: Lay-up shot off the tee because I suck at driving. Laid up to about 150 yards with a perfect little baby draw yet again. This club is easy enough for me to work right-to-left, so I was really loving it on a day I was spraying my driver left-to-right.

Hole 16: Short (310 yard) par 4 but it's all uphill, dogleg right. This is the only bad shot I hit with this club today. Duck hooked one due to a quick swing OB left. Re-tee'd and hit a 3w perfectly. Wanted to hit the X-Hot again, but when you're hitting 3 into a par 4, you need all the distance you can get.

That was all for the day. I hate to say it, but these write-up's are really boring. However, that's a great thing. They're boring because I feel like I repeat myself over and over again because this club is THAT damn amazing. It's been working absolute wonders for me. I went from never being able to hit a hybrid well to absolutely smoking this thing and controlling it better than most other clubs in my bag!

Back