Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Agreed. That's what my go-to rescue has been. But I can cut off a follow through on a full swing and still hit a pretty low burner, which is nice!

Yup, same here! I love it. And it lands so soft!!!

This! Had a 215 yard par 3 the other day took the 4H landed middle of the green and almost stopped in its divot! I still sometimes struggle with a hook, but that is for sure a swing issue I need to get sorted out

This! Had a 215 yard par 3 the other day took the 4H landed middle of the green and almost stopped in its divot! I still sometimes struggle with a hook, but that is for sure a swing issue I need to get sorted out
Yessir. I can always tell when I put a bad swing on it, because otherwise it is perfection. Last summer I battled hooks, and this summer my swing got too flat so I'm coming over the top and slicing. It's getting back to right-to-left, so I'm sure I'll be seeing those as well!

I was able to play different shots with it by moving it around in my stance and thats not something I normally do. I really like the stinger on windy days though. May need to put that into play one of these days.

I was able to play different shots with it by moving it around in my stance and thats not something I normally do. I really like the stinger on windy days though. May need to put that into play one of these days.

This is the shot I want but can't seem to be able to achieve. I can do it with irons all day long, but this hybrid just doesn't want to cooperate. Any ideas??

This is the shot I want but can't seem to be able to achieve. I can do it with irons all day long, but this hybrid just doesn't want to cooperate. Any ideas??

Less aggressive swing? Or choke down an inch or two and make your normal swing?

It's a shot I'm definitely wanting to try with it

Less aggressive swing? Or choke down an inch or two and make your normal swing?

It's a shot I'm definitely wanting to try with it

Yep... been there, done that.

This works BUT the only way this works is if the yardage is MUCH less (40 yards or more) than what I would normally play the shot.

I'm talking about hitting that stinger shot that pierces the wind on a low-to-mid trajectory and still gets 90% of your normal distance...

I touched on it a bit in my last review but, I played the ball way back in my stance. Was able to hit nice stingers pretty regularly.

I touched on it a bit in my last review but, I played the ball way back in my stance. Was able to hit nice stingers pretty regularly.

I read that. Is my AoA off? I really don't think it was because I had a VERY shallow divot. Should I try "trapping" it and come in steeper??

I'll keep trying with it. It's not that the club is unplayable, I just haven't been able to flight it down. Everything else is great.

I read that. Is my AoA off? I really don't think it was because I had a VERY shallow divot. Should I try "trapping" it and come in steeper??

I'll keep trying with it. It's not that the club is unplayable, I just haven't been able to flight it down. Everything else is great.

Me thinks it's time to experiment

I am a bit of a sweeper so it may be part of the reason. Just mess around a bit. Thats all I did. It took me a good 10 swings with the ball back to figure it out.

No, you're not delusional. This is what I'm seeing as well. You just can't flight this club the same as a iron or a "hybrid-iron"...

To be honest, I've just quit trying to flight it lower because it doesn't want to be hit low. I always ask though, just in case someone has found a way that works for them. The only reason I would like to be able flight it lower is the INTO-THE-WIND shots and perhaps a low-lying limb or something. Thank goodness I haven't run into this issue yet but I did with my previous hybrids...

I don't really try for that shot with the 4 hybrid at this point either. I can punch it, but that's not really a shot that I'm trying to get distance out of.

I don't really try for that shot with the 4 hybrid at this point either. I can punch it, but that's not really a shot that I'm trying to get distance out of.

I understand, thanks Hawk.

I'm just not sure it's a shot one can pull-off with this club. I do wish it were capable but so far, that's the ONLY flaw I can find. I'm going to try and make it work but if it doesn't I'll just play to it's strengths...

That's pretty much what I do at the moment. For me, it's an iron replacement first. I use it as a high/soft lander for par 3's, long approaches, or laying up to a number. I tend to use the LS off the tee or in the wind more often.

Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

Only got to play 9 today. My swing was all over the place and the 5 or so balls I hit with this in 9 holes were all over the damn place. Worst day with this club thus far, but entirely due to swing issues.

Edit: I'll be back out tomorrow with some time at the range. Hopefully be able to get a video to include with the feedback.

Last edited:
Reference Links:
Initial Thoughts
First Range Session
First On Course Testing
Second On Course Testing
Second Range Session

Third On Course Testing:

Conditions: Beautiful day. Sunny, barely a breeze and around 80 degrees. Played with 7 other THP'ers so it made it that much better.

Course: Miry Run Country Club (http://www.miryruncc.com/sites/courses/layout9.asp?id=753&page=45459) in Robbinsville, NJ

Thoughts: The round was not a very good indicator of how well I have been playing this club. My swing was a complete mess for most of the round as I havent played much on course golf recently. On the back 9, I finally started to get more comfortable with my swing and hit a few really nice balls out of the rough on some tough long par 4's and a long par 5. Best shot of the day was on 17. 203 yard Par 3. Hit a good ball and landed it on the green. Rolled out a bit but stayed on the very back. It was the only time I teed it up for this round so it was a nice surprise that what I worked on at the range, transferred to the course. On the day I took it out of the bag probably 5 or 6 times. I mishit it 3 times. 2 of which were epic duffs. The 3rd was a low line drive that still ran up the fairway nicely and left me a short wedge into the green. Still very happy with everything about this club. Contemplating putting a XHot 5HY into my bag to complement the 3HY I am currently testing. As always, if you have any questions or would like clarification, please let me know. Thanks for following along.

I like it Dev! Glad it's working for you! Do you find yourself sweeping it or hitting down on the ball? I've noticed when I tee it up I tend to sweep and don't hit it as far as off the deck, so that's been what I've working on with this.

I'll have a review up later today (have to drive back to Pittsburgh) with some video of 3 swings at the range with it.

I like it Dev! Glad it's working for you! Do you find yourself sweeping it or hitting down on the ball? I've noticed when I tee it up I tend to sweep and don't hit it as far as off the deck, so that's been what I've working on with this.

I'll have a review up later today (have to drive back to Pittsburgh) with some video of 3 swings at the range with it.

I am a sweeper for the most part so thats how I have hit this club predominately. Figuring out the tee length that worked for my wonky swing was the key. I think I have it dialed in now.

I watched Ryan hit this hybrid a few times this weekend and I have to say it performed well. It's that perfect club for mid to long layups on par 5s or the club you can get after to get home in two.

I only pulled this one out twice today. Once was for a topped ball on a downhill lie. I don't know if I've ever hit a good shot from a downhill lie ugh.

Other one was a beauty though. Long approach on a par 5 due to a tee ball that was blocked out by a tree. I had 196 to the flag with a little helping wind.

The green has water front left.
DSCN1524-M.jpg

Bit worried about the power draw into the water, so I aimed at the bunker off the right side of the green. Ball had a little draw, but just enough to come back to center, so I missed the green. Carried the bunker and was 5 yards past the pin on the right side. Easy chip and a putt to par my nemesis hole with a 190+ yard approach lol. I do like this hybrid.

I wasn't thinking and filmed this vertically. Son of a...

I watched Ryan hit this hybrid a few times this weekend and I have to say it performed well. It's that perfect club for mid to long layups on par 5s or the club you can get after to get home in two.

I'd agree with this completely. For me it's turning out to be the perfect club anytime I need around 200 yards. It's just flat dependable.

I'm hoping that if things continue coming around with my swing to extend that a little bit, but for now it's working.

Range Session 5/20, lunch break session. Wind left to right across the range.

My swing is finally coming out of the woods, and I was hitting every club in the bag well today. The problem that I had been having was that I had been swaying in my backswing, with my weight getting too far onto my back foot instead of bracing against the back leg and keeping my weight over my instep.

Out of the entire bucket, only a very few were mishits today, whereas last week I was only capable of getting about 5 to 10 good shots out of the bucket.

The XHot liked the improvement in my swing. I can only guess that it was still working for me last week because it is forgiving enough to still get the ball moving under those conditions. Today put that to shame.

My normal setup position was about 2 balls forward of center, about where I would setup with my 5I or long iron. Sweet contact felt like the ball was barely there, but the ball screamed off the mat. I was getting a piercing trajectory today, with a very subtle climb. The wind was putting a little fade on the ball, but it held straight until it reached its apex and then drifted slightly. This would have been very playable and predictable. I wish I had a range finder, because I think today I might have gotten this club to break the 200/210 yard barrier, which would be pretty huge for me.

Went out to a Callaway demo day this weekend and got to experiment between the X Utility and the XHot Pro Hybrid. Brief hybrid history on me, I always tend to draw and over draw any hybrid I've come to hit. It's has been a very inconsistent club for me in the past. I hit the 20 degree and feel in love right away! I could play a nice little cut with it and the height I was getting with this club was amazing! Every part of my body wanted to like the X utility more and I just couldn't put down the 20 degree hybird. It was spot on money! I was floored. I had been reading some of the comments here and been watching what Callaway has been saying about this club but really didn't expect much when I went to hit it. Yep, I was flat out wrong and it lived up to everything that I've heard. This is the best hybrid I've hit to date. Wonderful club.

Had this in and out of the bag all weekend, and finally knew that it HAD to be back in the bag for my final round on Sunday. It really is just a reliable club for me. I know exactly what to expect out of it, and I know that I will be consistent with it, whether it's off the tee or off the deck.

My only concern is that in regards to distance. I hit a few other hybrids this weekend if similar or weaker loft (19* and 20.5*), and they all were consistently 10-15 yards longer than the Xhot. I dont tend to get caught up with yardages and lofts, as long as I know where each will get me. I have learned that this one will give me a consistent 200 yards off the deck, and a bit more off the tee. It's straight, good-high ball flight, and like I said, I know what it's going to do.

I have been hot and cold with hybrids for a while now, and it's been a constant ponder of mine each year when the new ones come out. I am confident that the Xhot will not be leaving my bag any time soon. It's just that good.

That's really the reason I like it so much in the 4h slot, War Eagle. That's a gap I still feel like I need to be fairly precise on (as precise as a guy like me can be). I've thought about having another LS in that slot, but can't see the point. I know how far this one will go, it will go really high, it will hold a green, and it will stay reasonably on target.

Back