Callaway XHot Hybrid - Forum Testing Review

That's really the reason I like it so much in the 4h slot, War Eagle. That's a gap I still feel like I need to be fairly precise on (as precise as a guy like me can be). I've thought about having another LS in that slot, but can't see the point. I know how far this one will go, it will go really high, it will hold a green, and it will stay reasonably on target.
I had a few shots with this one on Sunday that had me very, very happy.

215 out in to a Par 5, and I hit it about as good as I can. I set up to play a slight fade and it didnt move a bit, got a bad kick and was pin high in a greenside bunker. It happens, still birdied the hole thanks to a great alt shot sand shot by Freddie.

The second shot came on another Par 5, #17. We were 230ish out, and I knew I couldnt get home but wanted to get as close as I could. I decided to pull the Xhot and put the best swing on it I could. Straight and a beauty of a ball flight, landed short of the green, with about a 20 yard pitch shot to the green.

I need to gather some thoughts, but I am pretty sure the Pro is going to be much better for my game. I think Jman is goingto hook me up with a different shaft for my 4H but the stock shaft is just too whippy for me in the non pro

I hit the 5 hybrid during demo day and kept shaking my head at how easy the ball jumps off the face. It wants to go straight, height, and far! There were five clubs that really stuck in my mind as something that would work very well for me. This hybrid is flat out a performer!

War you say you hit it further off the tee? I wish I could do that man. I find I sweep it more off the tee. I get about 15 extra yards off the deck because I compress it more.

Had this in and out of the bag all weekend, and finally knew that it HAD to be back in the bag for my final round on Sunday. It really is just a reliable club for me. I know exactly what to expect out of it, and I know that I will be consistent with it, whether it's off the tee or off the deck.

My only concern is that in regards to distance. I hit a few other hybrids this weekend if similar or weaker loft (19* and 20.5*), and they all were consistently 10-15 yards longer than the Xhot. I dont tend to get caught up with yardages and lofts, as long as I know where each will get me. I have learned that this one will give me a consistent 200 yards off the deck, and a bit more off the tee. It's straight, good-high ball flight, and like I said, I know what it's going to do.

I have been hot and cold with hybrids for a while now, and it's been a constant ponder of mine each year when the new ones come out. I am confident that the Xhot will not be leaving my bag any time soon. It's just that good.

W.E. What shaft is in your X Hot? I only ask because I was lucky enough to receive a PRO 6.5 shaft in a non-Pro head and I have ZERO issues with distance unless hitting into the wind where it robs me a bit more than I wish it would. This is a easy 225 club (for me) and I can push 230-235 with the right conditions (these are off the deck, no tee). This club at 19* vs my previous Ping i20 at 20* Project X Black 6.5 is 5-7 yards longer but much easier to get that distance. Almost automatic. Now, I could flight the Ping much-much easier but with that workability comes a price in forgiveness. I think that's where this club lives, in the high forgiveness and low workability category. That's not a bad thing either (IMO).

Full circle, I think the shaft (if it's the standard Red-Graphic stiff) is preventing you from realizing the full distance potential of this club. I wish I were close enough for you hit this one because distance isn't really an issue...

I let a guy on my league team hit this club for 1 shot last Friday during our round and he hit a perfect shot into a par 5 and made eagle. He just called me asking if I could send it home for him to borrow this weekend since I'm trapped at school. Of course I told him yes! The more that get to experience this, the better.

First time posting here, just have to say I love the x hot hybrids. By far the easiest longer club to hit in my bag. Believe the hype folks, this club head is for real.

First time posting here, just have to say I love the x hot hybrids. By far the easiest longer club to hit in my bag. Believe the hype folks, this club head is for real.

Excellent 1st post!!! :D

No doubt about it! This head/shaft combo is absolutely money! You can take that statement all the way to the bank, Jack!

Tonight at league was kind of odd. I actually only needed to pull the XHot 3H one time, and it happened to be on a tee shot. This is weird because my driver was actually working tonight, and I found myself in the position of hitting driver-wedge or driver-iron on a lot of par 4s. On the two par 5s tonight, I was under 200 in and went with 4H instead of the Xhot 3 because I didn't want to fly the green. This was a very unusual night for me.

Since I only hit the club once tonight, I don't have a lot that's fresh to report, but the 5th hole plays pretty well downhill with water at about 220. The course was soaking wet tonight due to all of the storms in the last 24 hours, so I aimed left edge of the fairway and put an easy swing on the Xhot 3H. I nice baby fade left me center cut for about 130 yards over water to the green. It felt really good to plan a shot, play it safe, and have it work out as intended.

Welcome to THP. Your assessment is spot on as well.

Tonight at league was kind of odd. I actually only needed to pull the XHot 3H one time, and it happened to be on a tee shot. This is weird because my driver was actually working tonight, and I found myself in the position of hitting driver-wedge or driver-iron on a lot of par 4s. On the two par 5s tonight, I was under 200 in and went with 4H instead of the Xhot 3 because I didn't want to fly the green. This was a very unusual night for me.

Since I only hit the club once tonight, I don't have a lot that's fresh to report, but the 5th hole plays pretty well downhill with water at about 220. The course was soaking wet tonight due to all of the storms in the last 24 hours, so I aimed left edge of the fairway and put an easy swing on the Xhot 3H. I nice baby fade left me center cut for about 130 yards over water to the green. It felt really good to plan a shot, play it safe, and have it work out as intended.

Well said. Thats the thing with this. I know what to expect out of it every time I pull it from the bag. Makes it alot easier and gives alot of confidence with the club when you know that you are going to put a solid swing on it and make solid contact every time. I have no irons now so I cant get on the course but I am going to the range tonight. Will update the thread later.

Heading to the range to work on some stuff Mward noticed in my swing.. Hope to have some feedback

Heading to the range to work on some stuff Mward noticed in my swing.. Hope to have some feedback

Start with slow swings etc. Think of your brain as a computer: you've been programming the wrong code since day 1. Reprogramming isn't a 5min fix

Just remember, whatever Wardy told you, increase the height by at least 6 inches.

Start with slow swings etc. Think of your brain as a computer: you've been programming the wrong code since day 1. Reprogramming isn't a 5min fix

Of course not. This is just a completely new swing fault for me so it is confusing the heck out of me

Whats the flaw?

My normal miss is a slice which is now a big pull instead. Club is coming too far inside in the backswing and I am cutting across in the downswing it looks like. Sliding my weight forward instead of turning it

My normal miss is a slice which is now a big pull instead. Club is coming too far inside in the backswing and I am cutting across in the downswing it looks like. Sliding my weight forward instead of turning it

I have been having a similar issue but only with my driver and my wedges. Nothing with my woods, hybrids, or irons. Its bizarre. Going to the range tonight to work on it.

I'm having the same kind of problem. Right now I'm hit or miss as to whether I'm going to hit a baby fade or a double-cross pull-draw.

I'm having the same kind of problem. Right now I'm hit or miss as to whether I'm going to hit a baby fade or a double-cross pull-draw.

Before last night I could count on one hand the times Ive pulled a ball.

That's an awesome first post!!!

So, I have league play tonight, and had to cut my bag back down to 14 clubs. I had thrown the Mashie F7 back in the bag for the outing just to compare some things throughout the weekend, and I was hitting it well compared to similarly lofted clubs. So this morning, when deciding what clubs to cut, there was NO doubt that the Xhot hybo would be in there. I can not stress the reliability this club brings me. Sure, I have a miss every once in a while with it, but the good shots far outweigh the bad shots. I have pondered grabbing the 2h at 16* as well to see how it works out for me distance wise.

So, I have league play tonight, and had to cut my bag back down to 14 clubs. I had thrown the Mashie F7 back in the bag for the outing just to compare some things throughout the weekend, and I was hitting it well compared to similarly lofted clubs. So this morning, when deciding what clubs to cut, there was NO doubt that the Xhot hybo would be in there. I can not stress the reliability this club brings me. Sure, I have a miss every once in a while with it, but the good shots far outweigh the bad shots. I have pondered grabbing the 2h at 16* as well to see how it works out for me distance wise.

That's something I've really wanted to try as well.

Also, I have grown to love hitting this one off the tee. So, so easy for short Par 4s. Right in the middle of the fairway. I struggled with the smaller face for a while, but I have adjusted quite well over time. Love how this little hybrid sets up.

Back