Getting over the 1st hole jitters

Germerican

AngryYankee
Reaction score
Handicap
23.8 USGA
Yesterday I went to play nine, really pumped up since my swing felt great on the range and was really smacking the ball hard and straight. So come the first hole and I tee up my ball. Take a few swings with my SKLZ trainer as warm ups and position myself to hit the ball. I line myself up, take my usual breath and swing the club. THUNK! I manage to hit the ground about a foot and a half behind the ball. I was really surprised that my driver didn't snap in half. I went to wipe the mud off my driver and went for a second attempt. Slightly better as I did make contact, but it was a low slice that entered the tree line and the ball was lost.
It took about 4-5 holes before I was able to hit the ball cleanly.

What does the THP community do to prevent 1st hole jitters and start off hot instead of needing half the course to warm up?

I think THP Events do a whole lot to erase this for a lot of people here. Make it to one, where you are teeing off in front of 30-70 THPers you chat with online and the rest of the first holes pale in comparison.

I try to only take 10-15 swings at most on the range. I don't wast energy beating balls where they don't count.

Also, get to the first tee and swing easy. Maybe even try to hit the ball 15 yards less. That keeps me from over swinging.

'Slow and smooth' is my swing thought on the first. Like Blu above, don't try to hit it as far.

I think THP Events do a whole lot to erase this for a lot of people here. Make it to one, where you are teeing off in front of 30-70 THPers you chat with online and the rest of the first holes pale in comparison.

He speaks the truth. I think it took me 3 hits to go 150 yards on the first hole at the AC Invitational, and I was in the next to last group. Imagine being the very first person to tee off at one. Next time I'm just going to ask if I can throw the ball about 40 yards instead of trying to hit it.:act-up:

I still get first tee jitters, but it isn't because of people watching me anymore. It's just that I think too much about it instead of just going up and hitting it. The thing that's helped me the most is trying to block everything out and just hit it like I'm on the range. If I think too much, I look at that flag way in the distance and automatically overswing.

No matter if you went to the range, you still have to warm up for the first few holes.

Square contact on the first swing can set you up for the entire round. No need to kill the ball. No need to swing hard. Swing within yourself. You don't have to impress anyone. Maybe tee off with a fairway wood or mid iron if you are really nervous. Anyone watching you tee off probably suffers or has suffered the first tee jitters also.

I'll never be able to solve it. My jitters aren't due to hitting in front of others though, it's from getting so amped up to play. It's very nearly the same if I'm playing solo on an empty tee-box. Similar with every sport I've ever played, never relaxed until getting into the flow of things. Doubt I'll ever be able to stop it.

I'm not sure, but alot of it is just playing enough that you get used to it. Similar to anything else you become proficent at.

Like others I am not afraid to hit in front of a crowd. My issues are that most of the time the longest wait is to hit on the first tee. This causes two issues, one is thinking about the first shot and the second is the waiting. I have noticed that the only times I have issues on the first tee are in those circumstances also most of my issues come from having to wait like during today's round. When I get to a course that is empty and there is no wait I have no first hole jitters.

Not that I'm the person to give advice, but try visualizing the shot, don't think of the motions, unless you've a swing thought as such it's too late at that stage. Picture it flying to where you want, step up and hit. I think I'm literally going to close my eyes and picture it sometime while I wait my turn to hit, can't hurt to try?

As you can see in my last round...
311nsxs.png
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I used to have this problem but then just thought to myself, who gives a S what these people think. Try playing as much as you can with people you don't know. Eventually you'll just stop caring about the first tee box.

I used to have this problem but then just thought to myself, who gives a S what these people think. Try playing as much as you can with people you don't know. Eventually you'll just stop caring about the first tee box.

Yup, whats the difference if you hit a crap shot off the first tee or your fiftieth. No need to worry, I think nerves are natural but you gotta find a way to turn that energy into a positive.

Yup, whats the difference if you hit a crap shot off the first tee or your fiftieth. No need to worry, I think nerves are natural but you gotta find a way to turn that energy into a positive.

It's a little easier when you know that someone will toss you another ball if you lose your first one.

U can't get rid of em. Gotta trick yourself into enjoying/embracing the jitters.

I just bounce one off the cart barn and get on with it :golf3:

I'm with MarcH, you have to learn to expect them and just swing. The more you think about it the worse it will get.

First time I teed off at a THP event I thought I was going to pass out...me and 2shoes both...LOL

Experience is all that it takes. Play in tournaments, play in front of strangers, play at THP events. I love getting on the first tee of an NCGA tournament and having them announce my name to the tee but I remember being pretty nervous the first time. Just remember that everyone else is just as nervous as you are, even if they say that they are not.

You could always bust out a upward hand pose right before you tee off.

Deep breath and swing away! Works a good 45% of the time for me.

Nerves happen. A pre-shot routine helps. Tempo. If I am particularly nervous I might club down to something I am really comfortable with.

Is your pre shot routine the same for every tee?? Chances are it's not because of the training aid you mentioned. Might be worth trying to shorten the routine as you may be putting to much pressure on yourself.

Back