2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBT,
I was definitely not singling you out, because I think a lot of people felt it including myself. However I appreciate you posting that, because you have gone through it and know exactly what its like and how its unlike anything most encounter on a golf course. Between the mental drain of the entire weekend and the idea that 7 other guys are counting on you, to the physical demands that this weather + this much golf can leave people with nothing in the tank for multiple rounds.

I know there are some that are viewing this as a walk in the park with friends for a few rounds of golf and while there is a whole lot of fun to be had, it is demanding and teams do you want to win.

I was one of the few that did not struggle too much. I played a ton of practice rounds and played well straight up through Sundays round. I would say it is mainly due to the fact that I spend a ton of time during the summer on the range or on the course. I played 36 holes quite a few times leading up to the MC and I did it in some stifling heat(100+*). You truly do need to practice in the heat in order to get used to it. It is a physically and mentally draining experience. You will be utterly spent by the time Sunday night comes.

You gotta do it for you dude. I can make one guarantee to you. If you bust your hump for 60 days and I mean really bust it. Nutrition intake, practicing, cardio work, you will be happier in Myrtle Beach (and beyond for that matter). There were two guys that could help and that is War Eagle and mikedean. Both of those guys did it for themselves but also because they knew what was coming up this year and they are different people.

JB is spot on man. The rest of your life is greater than 3 days in myrtle in July. The gratification and sense of accomplishment is 2nd to none when you reach your goal.

JB is also right that War Eagle and I are more than willing to help out in any way shape or form buddy, just let either of us know.

Quoting these two posts, as I missed out on this convo earlier.

I have never been much of a health nut, having 8 years ago been literally twice the size I am now. But, I made a lifestyle decision earlier this year for me and my family, that would have me be healthier and happier. It has helped me a great deal in my everyday life, but also the added energy in physical activity has been a huge plus.

I dont have all the answers, that is for sure, but I have figured out a thing or two the past few months, and having the luxury of employing a Registered Dietitian who has to answer all my questions is quite nice. If there is anything I can do for anyone, don't hesitate to reach out to me. Would be happy to help.

Just got back from the course/range... snapped a few pics and put them on appropriate threads but wanted to post at least one here.

MC Irons, wedges and putter....

DA3F1766-35C5-465A-A838-C2083B6D7060-6467-0000039D16FFC9F8_zps9ba3a378.jpg

Just got back from the course/range... snapped a few pics and put them on appropriate threads but wanted to post at least one here.

MC Irons, wedges and putter....

DA3F1766-35C5-465A-A838-C2083B6D7060-6467-0000039D16FFC9F8_zps9ba3a378.jpg
How'd they treat you?

I've got my headbands out. It's time to find a sauna for putting practice.

Just make sure to hydrate while in a sauna, I've got some sauna tips for you :D

I now have everyone's final Cobra-Puma orders, by noon EST today those will be submitted to the company and soon after that your bags will be complete. :smile:

Just make sure to hydrate while in a sauna, I've got some sauna tips for you :D

haha, I can always count on the Finnisher!!!

How awesome is team Albatross?! We've got a wide spectrum of excellence!

haha, I can always count on the Finisher!!!

This big wing ding will be here before ya know it! Sick em Team Albatross :deadhorse:. I have a team that I have in my signature but ya know what, I am really happy, excited, and pump for everyone of you! It would thrill be for every soul in the competition to have that PB in the single matches. Go Team THP because all of you guys are winners in my book :clapp:

This big wing ding will be here before ya know it! Sick em Team Albatross :deadhorse:. I have a team that I have in my signature but ya know what, I am really happy, excited, and pump for everyone of you! It would thrill be for every soul in the competition to have that PB in the single matches. Go Team THP because all of you guys are winners in my book :clapp:

Thanks Gray!

We all appreciate your support and I'm a fan of all our supporters, Team Paradise or anyone of the other awesome teams.

Thanks for the support of the event my friend. Dont think I am not going whoop your arse next time I see you for not supporting Team DotCom though. :D

That would be so awesome. I have already been inspired by so many in this competition! Dropping PBs on those courses is something I want to see!

Thanks for the support of the event my friend. Dont think I am not going whoop your arse next time I see you for not supporting Team DotCom though. :D

You live in California, I live n Georgia, good luck with taking me to the woodshed :D! I have a team for sure however I know there will many guys out there nervous as hell, living through the experience of their golfing lives, etc. I'm pulling for each and every individual to have their "A" games, good health, and smiles on their faces come Sunday evening regardless of the outcome.

You live in California, I live n Georgia, good luck with taking me to the woodshed :D! I have a team for sure however I know there will many guys out there nervous as hell, living through the experience of their golfing lives, etc. I'm pulling for each and every individual to have their "A" games, good health, and smiles on their faces come Sunday evening regardless of the outcome.

Very true and well said!!!

And on the other thing... just remember, Georgia is just a plane ride away!!

haha, I can always count on the Finnisher!!!

Plus we have the support of OG! What more could we ask for!
Awesome, Bill. Love the spirit and enthusiasm you have for this event.

Quoting these two posts, as I missed out on this convo earlier.

I have never been much of a health nut, having 8 years ago been literally twice the size I am now. But, I made a lifestyle decision earlier this year for me and my family, that would have me be healthier and happier. It has helped me a great deal in my everyday life, but also the added energy in physical activity has been a huge plus.

I dont have all the answers, that is for sure, but I have figured out a thing or two the past few months, and having the luxury of employing a Registered Dietitian who has to answer all my questions is quite nice. If there is anything I can do for anyone, don't hesitate to reach out to me. Would be happy to help.

Good stuff War. I know you were a help to me and I know you are always willing to help others. As TBT said, it is a grueling test and when I saw him and saw the shape he was in, I knew just how hard he has worked to enjoy all of the rounds this year. Hats off to all of the guys that have worked incredibly hard to get in shape for this (and of course for themselves).

Good stuff War. I know you were a help to me and I know you are always willing to help others. As TBT said, it is a grueling test and when I saw him and saw the shape he was in, I knew just how hard he has worked to enjoy all of the rounds this year. Hats off to all of the guys that have worked incredibly hard to get in shape for this (and of course for themselves).

blah blah blah...formats

I kid

A question for Mike and War. You two have lost a dramatic amount of weight and discussed how you feel better. How has that translated into the golf course? Do you find that you have more energy in reserve?

Wow this thread blew up yesterday and I loved reading through everything.

Awesome seeing the last of the orders coming in. I've got one more thing to hit (FW), then my order will go in today.

Also awesome seeing packages come in. Bridgestone guys getting wedges and irons is great.

Even more awesome is all of the talk and commitment to get into shape. I can only imagine how draining this event will be and I too am putting together a plan to get prepared for it physically.

A question for Mike and War. You two have lost a dramatic amount of weight and discussed how you feel better. How has that translated into the golf course? Do you find that you have more energy in reserve?

Absolutely.
1. When I walk 18, Im not soaking wet in sweat, shirt untucked, a big hot mess with everything aching.

2. When I get home from playing, im not tired and beat down to the point the day is wasted and I dont want to do anything else.

All joking aside its a night and day difference..so much more energy its not even funny

Fatigue still sets in, but no where near what it used to. I have found that it's easier to get a "second wind" on the course and push through when I get a bit tired. The sun will still take it out of you, regardless of how fit one may be. Staying hydrated is a must, and this was huge for me at the Outing, but also having a clif bar or something like that in the bag to replace some burned calories was a must. I have found that eating well before and during a round will give me a bit of fuel needed to give me that extra burst of energy.

I'm pumped for you guys that you have been dedicated to getting into better shape, I'm sure that the MC has given you even more motivation to do so and I'm glad it is translating into better golf for you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back