Easy Par 3s -- Worth it Everywhere?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Watching a bit of the US Open coverage, they have a par 3 that sits at 102 yards. More than likely a mid wedge for most of these guys. they are all throwing it past the hole and sucking it back to the tucked pin.

It got me thinking though, how much do you like that design? One course, with one par 3 that really allows you to throw a dart? The closest my course has is a dog-bone style par 3 that plays more like 140 at the front position, but it's a small area to land with a drop-off behind and water to the right.

So my question, do you like the idea of course design creating a single par 3 that is similar to a wedge into the green of a par 4? 100-125 yards with room to spare on either side.

I tend to think I do.

I love short par 3s. I like courses that have 4 par 3s, one short, then each one about 20 yards longer than another.

140/160/180/200

Is a good ratio IMO.

I also love 100yd par 3s.

I like the idea. It is always fun to see all the pros play basically the same shot. Adds something to the event IMO.

I am okay with it.

The thing to remember about this particular hole is that pin placement was the easiest possible. If the the green is not super soft and the pin is placed anywhere else that is actually a challenging hole.

I'm with Thain, I like courses that make you hit different clubs on the par 3s. One wedge/short iron, one short iron/mid iron, one mid iron/long iron, and one hybrid+.

I like the idea. It is always fun to see all the pros play basically the same shot. Adds something to the event IMO.

I'm enjoying it a lot.. I know many are all about making these courses very difficult, but I love the idea of that hole being "who's the first to jar one" while viewing. It's exciting.

I do like when you reach a par 3 that when you step on the tee you feel like you can get a shot back. Whether it's a birdie, par, or even an easy bogey. I don't like when you step on a tee box at a par 3 and you feel you have to hit a perfect shot to give you a shot par.

I'm with Thain, I like courses that make you hit different clubs on the par 3s. One wedge/short iron, one short iron/mid iron, one mid iron/long iron, and one hybrid+.

agreed as well, it's nice for practicing, but every par 3 being 150/160 gets awful boring.

I do like when you reach a par 3 that when you step on the tee you feel like you can get a shot back. Whether it's a birdie, par, or even an easy bogey. I don't like when you step on a tee box at a par 3 and you feel you have to hit a perfect shot to give you a shot par.

Yeah like hitting a 5 wood right? Haha I love the short par 3. I think it will make things even more interesting on Sunday. I like watching professionals actually hit "easy" shots. So much focus and attention goes into harder shots that sometimes the easy ones get away from them.

I love short par 3s. I like courses that have 4 par 3s, one short, then each one about 20 yards longer than another.

140/160/180/200

Is a good ratio IMO.

I also love 100yd par 3s.

I like this reasoning....I dont want to hit the same club on almost every par 3 so mixing it up as you proposed is how I like it most

Looks fun to me. We have a 27 hole layout that 9 of it is intended for "beginner" golfers, so is relatively short, not much trouble. It has a 107 yard uphill par 3, but the green slopes quickly on the front edge. It's a blast to play. Too much spin, and you are chipping back up. If no one is behind us we always hit several balls. :D

I am okay with it.

The thing to remember about this particular hole is that pin placement was the easiest possible. If the the green is not super soft and the pin is placed anywhere else that is actually a challenging hole.

The intention of the post was meant to use that hole, that pin spot, and that distance as an example for the average golf course. I don't personally play a course that has a hole like that, and I kind of want there to be one, considering my course has a 195 yarder and a 210 yarder that offer plenty of challenge.

I like short Par 3s. Give me a PW all day.

This. I agree.

Ha, at the Texas Invitational I hit an 8i on 3 or the 4 par 3's. They ranged from about 120-165 I think. Hello wind.

Lately for me every par 3 has been like 180-200. Id kill for par 3s less than those.
agreed as well, it's nice for practicing, but every par 3 being 150/160 gets awful boring.

I change my ratio a bit though. If I designed a course, it would be:

110-150-180-210.

Thats my ideal because its a KD wedge, a PW, a 7i, and a 4/5i.

I like a good mix on par 3's.
I've played some very vanilla courses where they are all between 140-150 and without any differentiating design element. That's a bit dull.
That being said, I don't enjoy stupid long par 3's where even if you're not playing from the back tee's you have 200+. I'm not playing the back tee's for a reason so that's a little irritating.

Hmm, not sure I even answered the question.
Yes, I'd like a nice short one to try to throw a dart at.

I don't like courses where you basically hit the same club on all of the par 3's. Short par 3's are great, especially when the greens are small and well protected. You have a short club in your hand so you should be able to hit the green, but be prepared to pay the price if you miss the green.

Here's a thought: think about the favorite par 3 that you have on your local course or that you've played in the past. Very few people will talk about a 200+ yard par 3, much more people will talk about a short par 3.

I like the short par 3's that still test you. We have one that's only 110 yards with a lot of back to front and center to right slope with water across the front and behind, ob on the left. You have to hit the back section without a ton of spin, it can get tough.

I don't like courses where you basically hit the same club on all of the par 3's. Short par 3's are great, especially when the greens are small and well protected. You have a short club in your hand so you should be able to hit the green, but be prepared to pay the price if you miss the green.

Here's a thought: think about the favorite par 3 that you have on your local course or that you've played in the past. Very few people will talk about a 200+ yard par 3, much more people will talk about a short par 3.

Also, gives the illusion that you have a better chance at a hole in 1 because its closer. At least for me it does.

ugh. No such thing as an easy par 3. Every time I come across one that is supposed to be a simple wedge, I chunk it and leave 20 yards to the green. Or worse, I blade that suck and fly 40 yards passed.

I don't mind it for the pros, and especially in this tournament. after two 3s that measure over 230, that short one is a nice refreshing drink of water.

I love short par 3's. You think they're really easy and you can be super aggressive, and you can walk off that green with bogey or worse in the blink of an eye and have no idea what happened with a wedge in hand.

The intention of the post was meant to use that hole, that pin spot, and that distance as an example for the average golf course. I don't personally play a course that has a hole like that, and I kind of want there to be one, considering my course has a 195 yarder and a 210 yarder that offer plenty of challenge.
Thanks, Canadan. I didn't articulate it well at all but I was basically trying to say something like what Ary said - short par threes that are well protected, etc. One of the prominent courses here in Portland has a short par three like this. You get to the tee and can think you've got a breather. Except it isn't. Which ultimately makes the course more interesting and fun. Trying again to answer your OP....yes, I like this design element.

I love a short par 3. Depending on the design and the green, it could be really easy or really hard. I don't think that just because a hole is 100 - 125 yards it is automatically easy.

My regular course has a short one but it is very tricky. The tee is on a hill at the highest spot on the course. The green sits below at about a 50 - 60 foot drop with a pond in front and down the left side. The wind is usually off the right or directly at you. Depending on the tee placement (they have 6-7 boxes), you can use anywhere from 8-iron to SW. The yardage is almost irrelevant as it just a touch shot depending on pin placement and wind. Playing in a scramble one time, the group ahead of us (all decent golfers) had to use all 12 shots to get par, while my group had 3 shots within 3 feet. It can be easy or jump up and bite you.

I'm also going to go with the consensus here. I like having to different clubs in.

Back