Anthony Kim - Can He Return?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously we know he can return, the question is will he? Here we have a young man that had elite status and greatness standing right in front of him. He won multiple times in 2008. The following year he set a record for most birdies at the Masters in a single round with 11. He won again in 2010 and then things got interesting.

There were a few minor injuries. News was starting to swirl that AK liked to party a bit (never confirmed or denied). Then vanishing.

In May of 2012, he was expected to miss 6 months after having a forearm injury. He was not playing good golf at the time at all.
In July of 2013 he had surgery on his achilles tendon and would miss the next 9+ months.

In between those two injuries and even before that injury in 2012, AK was nowhere to be found. However he is expected to play next season on medical exemption.

So the question is, can he return to form? Will he even be relevant?

Hard to say, his work ethic seemed to get a lot in question when he started being more of a party boy. I have to say though I don't like his odds right now based on what I saw right before he got injured

I don't think he can recover from the injuries.

If the injuries were truly the reason for his poor form, I think he will return back to normal at some point next season. For some reason, I don't really know that I believe injuries were the sole reason for his poor form. I think he got distracted by the money and the fame and his game struggled. I have no doubts that his injuries were/are legitimate, I just doubt that they were the main reason for his poor form.

We've seen him out and about quite a bit in our Uptown section of town. Lots of nightlife and things to do that don't make for early morning tee times.

I think he'll be back playing next year, but its going to take a lot of practice and time for him to get back at where he was before.

I think he can if he gets his head right and puts down the bong. The Achilles can be overcome, addiction can be overcome, he has waaay too much talent to not contend, he's made differently than Duval I think.

Its funny to me that this thread popped up as I was just talking to a friend of mine about AK a few days ago. I truly believe he can get back to form the question is how bad does he want it. He was hampered by injuries but he also liked the nightlife. If he can make golf a top priority in his life I do believe he can once again become relevant

I actually just posted a story about AK rattling Sergio at the 2008 RC that made me wonder when we'll see him again as well. I'm a big fan of AK and think that at some point, yes he will be relevant. I don't think it will be next year, but I say 2015. It's a bad combination of injuries and a little bit of sowing some wild oats that have sidelined him for a while, but I still believe he can get it going again. Motivation will start to return as he realizes his window is getting smaller and gets sick of the party scene, which will translate into a lot more much needed practice and fitness time There are a few guys who have been able to come back after such a long lay off and I'm hoping he can do it as well.

I hope so. He had so much talent that it would be a shame if we never saw what it could become. But the reality is that health has a huge impact on success at any professional level.

It will interesting to see if he can refocus on golf and put in the work to be relevant or even stay on tour.

I'd love to see him come back strong but from what I've read and heard it doesn't sound like he will.

No, flat out no. Top players that at playing have a hard time returning to form. Now couple that with he extended absence, lack of golf legs and knowledge to play at the highest level. I think he'd fail like DD at a real comeback.

If he were playing here or there I'd say sure but being gone for so long, no way he sniffs making cuts

All in his head. That's where it really matters.

When is he even scheduled to play a tournament? He hasn't played this entire year, it would be good to know if he's actually close to returning to competition or not.

I think he can return. The guy had all sorts of talent. Hopefully his issues and injuries are behind him.

I think AK's issues started long before the injuries, lack of focus and too much nightlife really got to him....he hasn't played a competittive round in over a year and a half....at this point I just don't see him making a full comeback....he may have brief flashes where you catch his name on the leaderboard, but in the end I just don't see him being able to sustain the focus to be competetive in a 72 hole event.

I would like to see him make a big comeback, but really don't think that he can do it. I think that he might contend in one or two events over the next few years, but he won't do much better than that and I don't see him winning. He just doesn't seem to be mentally prepared for high level professional golf. I hope that I am wrong though.

No clue. Not even going to pretend to know what he's gone through these last few years. I know a guy named David Duval has been trying to get back on tour for awhile and is not having much luck. Going to be tough.

I hope he can, but will he? Who is to say.
I know from a couple of athletic friends that achilles problems and especially after surgery can be very problematic.
One friend was highly recruited by several major colleges for basketball as a sophomore. At the end of his sophomore season, he tore the right achilles and had it repaired.
After extensive rehab, he was released to play basketball again. The tendon lasted 4 months and blew out again. More surgery and rehab.
That lasted almost a year when his left achilles blew out. More surgery and rehab. He came back his senior year to play but was never the same and got no scholarship offers at all.
Hopefully AK can heal up from the surgeon's knife and get his life in order to get back to the PGA.

I dont think so...injuries are hard to overcome and there is so much talent out there playing at a high level now I dont think he can be one.

I was just talking about Anthony Kim the other day too. Not sure if his body will ever be the same but I think he can. If he wants it he has the talent.

No. Not sure what confirmed is, but I remember reading reports of him in the clubs here in Vegas throwing $$$ around like he was Tiger Woods. I doubt he makes it back to remotely the level he was at before the injuries.

Physically it's possible....I just don't see the mental side of the game getting back to the pre-partying days.

Good question JB...I think if AK has the work effort and determination to regain his playing form of old he can be successful. But that is just the question. Towards the end of his career prior to injury, the rumors swirled of him liking to burn the candle at both ends. This indeed showed in him being able to close out tournaments, focus on the practice range, and just play the game of golf.

I met AK at a charity event back in 2008 and here was a young man the potential to have his name tossed around with the elite at that time.

Where did he go....we may never know. Only the 2014 season will tell!

Back