The New Callaway Golf - Your Thoughts

I think you'll have to see them in person, but the X2 Hot Pro's were that for me.

So the X2 Hot Pros fall into the GI category? I thought they were more of a player's iron with a more compact head size.

I tend to gravitate to irons with low offset, mid size top line & sole & mid to large sized heads. That's why I played the W/S Ci7s for so long.

Thanks for the heads up on the X2 Hots. I'll definitely check them out now.

I'm actually really excited about their new pricing and manufacturing model. Make, price and sell based on forecasting. When something is sold out, it's gone forever. No more price drop wars.

I honestly don't really love the sound of this. As someone who almost solely depends on price drops to get his clubs, this means I may be surfing the bay/THP marketplace in the future for my Callaway fix.

So the X2 Hot Pros fall into the GI category? I thought they were more of a player's iron with a more compact head size.

I tend to gravitate to irons with low offset, mid size top line & sole & mid to large sized heads. That's why I played the W/S Ci7s for so long.

Thanks for the heads up on the X2 Hots. I'll definitely check them out now.

You'll have to decide for yourself after seeing them, but they are pretty close. Maybe a hair towards the player's side, but I thought they were a good 'tweener' set.

I didn't read the thread before posting, so I apologize if my input restates something that's already been said.

I like the direction they are going with their drivers, but I'm still not sure I get their iron strategy. It seems like they created 2 sets of irons with a lot of the same attributes.

IMO, Callaway needs an GI iron with much less offset & a thinner sole.

Just a thought of mine from reading a fitter's reaction on here: pricing. The Apex and Apex Pro are forged and they bring a forged price. Not a whole lot of people are going to be able to pay over $1,000 for a set of irons. So, with the goal of making great products, the X2Hot irons are high quality cast, with great feel and distance, in two options- pro and non-pro. These are at a more consistent price-point that makes them more readily available to a larger segment of the population.

If Callaway only made the Apex and Apex Pro this year, consumers would be crying foul about how expensive the clubs are and it's possible that even Callaway "homers" would be put-off... Same for the Big Bertha group and X2Hot drivers/fwy... Segmentation is the name-of-the game, and Callaway has hit home runs in each and every segment this year; I tested them all... I know!

And like Hawk, with every option available to me, I went with the X2Hot Pro irons (i20s played now, B'Stone J40 DPC before that...)

Just a thought of mine from reading a fitter's reaction on here: pricing. The Apex and Apex Pro are forged and they bring a forged price. Not a whole lot of people are going to be able to pay over $1,000 for a set of irons. So, with the goal of making great products, the X2Hot irons are high quality cast, with great feel and distance, in two options- pro and non-pro. These are at a more consistent price-point that makes them more readily available to a larger segment of the population.

If Callaway only made the Apex and Apex Pro this year, consumers would be crying foul about how expensive the clubs are and it's possible that even Callaway "homers" would be put-off... Same for the Big Bertha group and X2Hot drivers/fwy... Segmentation is the name-of-the game, and Callaway has hit home runs in each and every segment this year; I tested them all... I know!

And like Hawk, with every option available to me, I went with the X2Hot Pro irons (i20s played now, B'Stone J40 DPC before that...

I spoke to a guy at golf galaxy Saturday and he echoed the same thing as you. He said the feedback on the Apex have been phenominal so far in just a host amount of time. However they werent selling many at all as people were having sticker shock. And then he said "Luckily they will have another set of irons coming soon that will hopefully be solid at a fraction of the cost"

haha not a problem good buddy :D. I some what agree with the fact that Cally is gravitating away from the "old man's club" however I bet they are still looking to sell their products to the old geezers. I mean just think of all the baby boomers out there with the big pockets, who love shiny new toys. I know I am infatuated with the new Big Bertha line and I have no doubt it will rekindle the fire for those who loved this line in years past.

No doubt and I know you didn't take that the wrong way. It was a stereotype that was put on the brand as many of the senior tour players were playing their clubs back then. It just naturally happened and my age group was drawn away from the brand because of it. Everyone wants to sell to the older player, I just think Callaway has changed their marketing technique in doing so!

No doubt and I know you didn't take that the wrong way. It was a stereotype that was put on the brand as many of the senior tour players were playing their clubs back then. It just naturally happened and my age group was drawn away from the brand because of it. Everyone wants to sell to the older player, I just think Callaway has changed their marketing technique in doing so!

Nawwww I didn't take it the wrong way because I'm still a young stud :D . You hit the nail on the head partner :thumb:

I have been extremely impressed with Callaway since being selected for the Morgan Cup in 2012 and being fortunate enough to be sponsored by them, their dedication to and interaction with the "everyday golfer" is second to none.

They have embraced social media and will be the only FOUR TIME SPONSOR of the Morgan Cup.

I love me some Callaway Golf.

I am really liking their equipment over the last year or two, so much so that I put the X Hot Pros and X Hot Driver in the bag. What I am not a fan of though is their new website, I find it difficult to naviagte to find information quickly. With the clubs that are not the latest you can't search out what shaft options were available, etc. Take the X Hot Driver, it is still listed on their site, but you can't see what shafts were offered through their custom selection like you could previously. Same goes for the woods and hybrids.

Thanks for the feedback on the site. You can actually see the shafts available in X Hot if you go in and configure the Driver but are working on adding a list to the site for all of our custom options and it should be up shortly. New website will continue to evolve and get better with Fitting and Customs being an area we will focus on and make it better. Thanks

Callaway wasn't on my radar until The Morgan Cup 2012. Since that time, they have played a prominent role in my golf equipment purchases for myself and for others. I fully support them as a company and the individuals who work for them. Whenever I am now in the market for ANYTHING golf related, I will try a Callaway product first before others.

Excited about the new Apex line and Odyssey putters. Really looking forward to the Bertha products.

I'm really excited by what Callaway has going on. Growing up my dad had a set of Big Bertha irons that I used to watch him obliterate. When I played in high school I put the long irons from that set in my bag until I got my Nike Pro Combos and complemented that with a Great Big Bertha II driver. I recently snagged an awesome RBZ 3 hybrid on black friday so for the first time in my life I am playing without a Callaway in my bag (if you ignore my Odyssey Rossie.)
I should be ending the streak though at a little under three weeks though, since I've got my X hot Pro's sitting under the tree waiting for me! :banana:

I'm sad to see my old forged pro combos going into the closet, but the consistency of the Xhot Pros I hit in the store just couldn't be denied!

Oops! I lied. Forgot about the 60° I snagged at Golfsmith for 60 bucks in October. Guess I'm rocking the Callaway without even thinking about it.

Last edited:
My last Callaway product was the FT-9 and they hadn't been on my radar in the past few years. But that has all changed, especially with the way they've treated the folks here at THP. I've been playing with mightyquinn and have seen how much better he hits the Apex irons than his G20's. Finally picked up last year's X-Hot and hit it a few times and it's definitely an improvement over the last few drivers I've hit from Callaway, being the FT-9 and Razr X Black.

So Callaway is back on my radar and I will support the people who support us here at THP.

Way back when big bertha first debuted I was all about it. Wanted all callaway gear (no way I could afford it then) I havent been gaming callaway gear bit it seems its coming full circle for me. Apex pros on the way, bertha woods are definitely on the radar too!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I've never been a Callaway guy. Never owned a single club. Started using the hex Chrome a year or two ago. Love the look of the newer stuff and am seriously contemplating some of their new clubs. I love their interaction with the common man - the tweets, podcasts, videos, testing, etc. They get it and it is making me a convert.

My transition into Callaway homerisms...

Birth of Canadan golf ---> square looking 'thwock' diver
----- I really couldn't have been bothered by them. They seemed old fashioned, behind the curve, and I really didn't connect with guys like Phil at the time. The clubs underwhelmed me and the company as a whole didn't add any shock value to my club demoing experiences.

Entry into the Morgan Cup ---> End of 2012
----- I started to really focus on Callaway when they joined THP in the Morgan Cup. They started to turn their club builds around, producing some really attractive MBs and moving in a better direction with the Razr Hawk into the razr fit. So much so, that I switched to the Razr Fit driver at the end of 2012 and found unquestionable success with it.

2013 (the birth of Callaway Social Media awesomeness and club innovation)
----- Welcome to being ahead of the curve. Clubs like X Forged, the Fit Xtreme, and the massive following on XHot... They were a fun company to follow on twitter as well as watching their progression as a club builder, giving me the idea that I could game their entire lineup and actually be happy about it (HUGE transition).

End of 2013
----- I now want to be a part of something Callaway. It's been a long drawn out road, but watching them at the Morgan Cup, having personal experiences with guys like Chad there, and then watching some of my friends get absolutely spoiled at the grandaddy... I just flat out want to support them as a company. Their 2014 lineup has already impressed me if we're including Apex Pro irons in the mix, and I'm certain they'll only improve with the crazy innovations of Bertha Alpha which appeals directly to my spin flaws.

Yep. I want to be involved with that company. Ask me that question even only a couple years ago and I'd shake my head and laugh a bit. I just hope they keep doing what they are doing, and continue to support THP as they have been. It's flat out impressive.

I have been out of the loop for the last year, but all the talk seem to be great and reading and hearing the THP radio show, sound like they are going to have a good year. I will keep on looking into them and see what they have to offer for the 2014 year of golf. Never hurts to hit everything to see what fits you and your style of play the best.

Just curious what you deem too many? Taking a quick look at their competition, Titleist has 6 to choose from. Callaway currently has 5, but they've yet to announce what's being discontinued when they release their new line. Bridgestone has 8. Nike has 8. Taylormade has 4. Srixon has 7.

Good question

Titleist has 6 balls (10 if you count all colors)

1. Titleist Pro V1
  2. Titleist Pro V1x
  3. NXT Tour (white / yellow)
  4. NXT Tour S (white / yellow)
  5. Velocity (white / yellow)
  6. DT SoLo (white / yellow)

Callaway has 10 balls (17 if you count all colors)

1. SR1
  2. SR2
  3. SR3
  4. HEX Chrome (white / yellow)
  5. HEX Chrome + (white / yellow)
  6. X2Hot (white / yellow)
  7. X2Hot + (white / yellow)
  8. Supersoft (white / yellow)
  9. HEX Warbird (white / yellow)
  10. HEX Solaire (white / pink)

Seems like a lot of options.

Good question

Titleist has 6 balls (10 if you count all colors)

1. Titleist Pro V1
  2. Titleist Pro V1x
  3. NXT Tour (white / yellow)
  4. NXT Tour S (white / yellow)
  5. Velocity (white / yellow)
  6. DT SoLo (white / yellow)

Callaway has 10 balls (17 if you count all colors)

1. SR1
  2. SR2
  3. SR3
  4. HEX Chrome (white / yellow)
  5. HEX Chrome + (white / yellow)
  6. X2Hot (white / yellow)
  7. X2Hot + (white / yellow)
  8. Supersoft (white / yellow)
  9. HEX Warbird (white / yellow)
  10. HEX Solaire (white / pink)

Seems like a lot of options.

The Hex line (Chrome and Black) is being phased out by the SR line.
Then add to that the Pinnacle options that Titleist (Acushnet) offers.

The Hex line (Chrome and Black) is being phased out by the SR line.
Then add to that the Pinnacle options that Titleist (Acushnet) offers.

That would bring the numbers closer. I now play the Chrome yellow because I have poor eyes and can see the yellow better than white. With Chrome going away and no yellow in the SR1, I will have to look at other brands.
My search starts over again. :glasses-nerdy:

Absolutely love the new product lineup, especially the woods and putters. Not fan of the new website. It looks like something I would have made on geocities in 1997

I agree on the website. I'm not a fan of it either. But it's certainly different from what everyone else is doing.

In terms of equipment, I can't ever remember a year with more meaningful new products. Products that are different (game improvement forged Apex, Big Bertha Alpha, new balls designed specifically to SS versus just having various compressions)....Looks as if I'll be running Callaway across the board.

I had a demo of SR1, hit it with a 7-iron, I hit it on launch monitor versus ProV1 and hit it 4 years longer and higher, and with more backspin, so it looks as if Titleist, along with Ping got kicked out of bag.

Not sure if they will be able to price the balls @ $47.99 (I never pay that anyway, too many $10 off coupons on in my area, so the most I ever paid for ProV1s were $37.99, so it will be the same with this ball). But I'm interested to see how many people start playing the ball

Being fairly new, I a excited. I am a tech guy and love the way they are making themselves available with social media. I come from taylormade and those were great. Now I am loving these. If they keep up the support and accessibility they will do well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think Callaway is at a all time high when it comes to making the best clubs for a full range of players. Quality and the best customer service has always been high with them, and it shows they are still on at the top.

Back