The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Freddy Kong just gave me a tune up and I am ready to get to work when I get home!
Did some work with David today and I have say, he will be a force to reckoned with come July.

Don't sleep on anyone in this years event. I have a feeling it's going to play out on the final 4 holes to decide the champs.

Leave has been approved! Planning to block off all of the second half of July and golf my kiester off, fly East to Virginia, spend some time with the family (while golfing my kiester off), then drive down to Myrtle.

Did some work with David today and I have say, he will be a force to reckoned with come July.

Don't sleep on anyone in this years event. I have a feeling it's going to play out on the final 4 holes to decide the champs.

This is going to be an epic finish. At first I thought you guys were stacked but as the teams filled out the talent began to flow, I also suspect that folks will be working harder on their games than ever before, I know I will be and you will be as well.

I have an interesting question for everyone that came up with my pop (Maddog701) yesterday during our sim league. How many of you guys would want to be in the match that would decided the #THPMC? How many of you guys WANT the pressure on you for your team to bring it home?

I have an interesting question for everyone that came up with my pop (Maddog701) yesterday during our sim league. How many of you guys would want to be in the match that would decided the #THPMC? How many of you guys WANT the pressure on you for your team to bring it home?

I would love for it to come down to the final group and have that opportunity.

Assuming I am even in the MC, I would LOVE it.

I'll take it everyday of the week and twice on Sunday. My putt, my approach, my up and down, whatever it is, I would welcome that pressure.

Bring it! After the first tee the nerves are usually done. Being in the hunt would be awesome...locking it down for your team would be priceless

I told my pop I would love it. Generally in more short career of competitive golf I've thrived on the pressure. Obviously playing for LeRoy club tournaments are NOTHING like the pressure the Morgan Cup would bring, but I've always loved being the one called on, in any situation even going back to high school and college baseball. I ALWAYS wanted to be the guy.

Bring it! After the first tee the nerves are usually done. Being in the hunt would be awesome...locking it down for your team would be priceless

You would be epic with psychological warfare. I imagine a chute to win on 18 with Mike yelling out "you thought you could hit that fairway?"

I'm generally not a big fan of that kind of pressure but if that scenario played out I'd be glad to stand to the challenge, we'll all give 1000% and pre tournament prep is the recipe for success in that situation.

I'd absolutely love the chance. Win or lose, to have the fate of the Cup in your hands...to have 7 teammates' hopes on your shoulders...would be an experience seldom repeated.

I'd rather have the final shot than someone else. You work hard on your game to give yourself the ability to hit the shots you need to in those situations don't you?

I play match play about 4 days a week . I would love that chance.

I'd absolutely love the chance. Win or lose, to have the fate of the Cup in your hands...to have 7 teammates' hopes on your shoulders...would be an experience seldom repeated.

That's pretty much EXACTLY what I told my pop. I said "I would love, it might be the only chance I get in my life to experience something of that magnitude, I'd love it."

Thats whats its all about. Thats why we put in the work. Thats just a dream scenario I would cherish

What the heck is a sim league? Video games?

I'll still never forget JB driving up in his cart with Ward, the cameras and about 15-20 other carts right behind him when we were on the 15th hole Sunday. I had been chipping away tclutch's lead and was 1 down with a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway. I'm standing there and JB drives up and says, "There's a reason everyone is watching."

In which I then proceed to hit my trusty hybrid way right and into the trees and end up losing the hole.

So to answer your question, yea, I want another crack at that moment again!

I'm generally not a big fan of that kind of pressure but if that scenario played out I'd be glad to stand to the challenge, we'll all give 1000% and pre tournament prep is the recipe for success in that situation.

Ehh, that's not always the case, but in my opinion, those who actually care enough to take the event seriously and prepare themselves are happy with the results.

Those who don't? Well, if they don't think they stand out, they do. It's about as obvious as it gets, and they'll be easy W's to play against.

What the heck is a sim league? Video games?

I'll still never forget JB driving up in his cart with Ward, the cameras and about 15-20 other carts right behind him when we were on the 15th hole Sunday. I had been chipping away tclutch's lead and was 1 down with a perfect drive in the middle of the fairway. I'm standing there and JB drives up and says, "There's a reason everyone is watching."

In which I then proceed to hit my trusty hybrid way right and into the trees and end up losing the hole.

So to answer your question, yea, I want another crack at that moment again!

If you don't mind me picking your brain on this one, how much pressure did you put on yourself to hit a perfect shot after he said that? Could you feel it in your hands? Did it feel like any other shot? How often when you hit the hybrid do you think about that exact scenario?

Oh sim league is just a 9 hole league on a simulator!

I welcome the chance to have that pressure in the MC.
First, I have to get one of the last 4 spots.
The anticipation is killing me ! :banghead:

Right now I would hate that because my game is inconsistent and untested under pressure. By the time the MC rolls around, that will be fixed, and I think I'd be ok with it.

Right now I would hate that because my game is inconsistent and untested under pressure. By the time the MC rolls around, that will be fixed, and I think I'd be ok with it.

There's also the feeling that if you don't perform to expectations that you're letting your team down.

A team based event has a handful of pitfalls when it comes to pressure, both on and off the course.

Fortunately, there's a pretty simple solution. Practice, and preparation. Be 20% Better than your handicap by July and I can bet you'll leave proud of your efforts.

If you don't mind me picking your brain on this one, how much pressure did you put on yourself to hit a perfect shot after he said that? Could you feel it in your hands? Did it feel like any other shot? How often when you hit the hybrid do you think about that exact scenario?
I think before it was me vs tclutch and trying to overcome my horrible start. We were both playing great golf on the back 9 and it was close. I think JB's comment switched my thinking there for a second and got my mind to start wondering about the big picture. I hit probably my worst shot of the day right there and I wish I had it back. That was on me and only me. I play that hole out all the time in my mind and wonder what might have been if that shot had stopped a few feet from those trees (it didn't roll in by much). This was one of my reasons for trying to get in again.

There's also the feeling that if you don't perform to expectations that you're letting your team down.

A team based event has a handful of pitfalls when it comes to pressure, both on and off the course.

Fortunately, there's a pretty simple solution. Practice, and preparation. Be 20% Better than your handicap by July and I can bet you'll leave proud of your efforts.

Cannot wait to get outside and do more than just putting and occasional dome trip. The amount of effort I'm going to put into being the best golfer I can be is going to be more than anything else I've ever put effort into doing. I can't wait.

Cannot wait to get outside and do more than just putting and occasional dome trip. The amount of effort I'm going to put into being the best golfer I can be is going to be more than anything else I've ever put effort into doing. I can't wait.

You picked the right event for motivation.

Lean on the vets if you need anything. I expect you'll have some great teammates who've been there before.

Back