The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I didn't mean for my post to come off as meaning the last match is more important or anything like that. I was more thinking along the lines of everyone's watching everything coming down to you and your hard work that type of thing. Kind of like a bottom of the 9th two outs type of thing, because I absolutely agree with you that the first match is just as important as the last.

No man, it's nothing you said. It's just something that has irked me in the past so I tend to take a different view than some I suppose.

Not to derail this thread but I've seen comments such as someone won it for their team because they happened to get the clinching point. I think that opinion kinda takes away from the others. Just my opinion.

Not gonna lie. I dream about the whole MC experience......frequently. Winning the final point has been in those dreams. I will be prepared to play to the best of my abilities in every match. If it comes down to the final point........you will know how hard I worked for it. I CAN ASSURE YOU!

JM

I have an interesting question for everyone that came up with my pop (Maddog701) yesterday during our sim league. How many of you guys would want to be in the match that would decided the #THPMC? How many of you guys WANT the pressure on you for your team to bring it home?

Definitely would want that, that kind of pressure would be awesome to experience and I do perform better under pressure. That kind of pressure would take my thoughts away from the round score, which would be a good thing.

No man, it's nothing you said. It's just something that has irked me in the past so I tend to take a different view than some I suppose.

Not to derail this thread but I've seen comments such as someone won it for their team because they happened to get the clinching point. I think that opinion kinda takes away from the others. Just my opinion.

No worries cookie, I completly understand your point of view. Each point you help your team is as equal as the last point needed to seal the deal. I just took the question as would I want the pressure of that last point resting on my shoulders. For right now no, im not confident enoigh in my preperation. Others may say right now they are and by all means my hats off to you. Looking at some of these handicaps, reading threads of members shooting low. Freddie helping everyone get better...im just not there yet. However, as I said ask me the same the weekend before and im sure my answer shall be different.

There's also the feeling that if you don't perform to expectations that you're letting your team down.

A team based event has a handful of pitfalls when it comes to pressure, both on and off the course.

Fortunately, there's a pretty simple solution. Practice, and preparation. Be 20% Better than your handicap by July and I can bet you'll leave proud of your efforts.

This is excellent advice. Just leave it all out there and let the chips fall where they may.

Guess I view it a bit differently. I don't view it as winning or losing the cup for my team.

The first match on Sunday means every bit as much as the last match.

I don't think the last match deserves more credit or more fault either way given that each point counts the same.

Not saying that is your belief GB, just wanted to give my thoughts.

Regardless if I go out first or last, the pressure doesn't change for me. Would it if I was told that my potential point helps my team win? Maybe...probably...not sure.

Interesting conversation the last couple of days on this. I almost made a post yesterday with this same point that Cookie made, because that's how I see it as well. Every point carries the same weight towards victory, so I think I would feel just as much pressure going first as I would last. Now, if someone rode up and told me the match was all even and it's all hinging on your point, would my sphincter tighten up a bit? You bet it would!

It's Sunday singles. With how much 8 points can impact a tournament like that, EVERY single win or loss on Sunday impacts your team having a chance to win the Cup.

It may come down to the final match, but everyone else on that team is setting that stage for them with W's. ALL are important.

Interesting conversation the last couple of days on this. I almost made a post yesterday with this same point that Cookie made, because that's how I see it as well. Every point carries the same weight towards victory, so I think I would feel just as much pressure going first as I would last. Now, if someone rode up and told me the match was all even and it's all hinging on your point, would my sphincter tighten up a bit? You bet it would!

I don't think the points on Sunday "mean" anymore. But playing on Sunday in singles knowing your match could make or break your teams chance to hoist the cup is something quite special. Just you against your opponent with no teammate there to help you out. It has even been known to make otherwise stoic men get quite emotional.

To win it all is why you work so hard, sure, and everyone always plays to win, im as competitive as the next guy, but I understand Cookie in that the whole thing falls as it will over the weekend. Lets say the final group means absolutely nothing for standings, does that mean its not worth playing? I for one would love to just be apart of the event and the get to know fellow THPers who also love the game and pick up more golf knowledge, being apart of it no matter the outcome you have already won. Because ultimately we all range in handicap, I know for a fact there are some guys who will dominate singles but ultimately, hopefully they love the game as well, cause that's what has brought us all here. Our die hard love of this sport.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

The pressure is always going to be there, from the first tee shot on Saturday, through both matches, to the first tee shot on sunday and all the way through singles. (Assuming similar schedule)

But it's all how you channel that pressure and energy into focusing on each and every shot.

I can honestly say I would have loved to be in the last matches and have the cup win riding on my shoulders. I would relish that kind of pressure.

Been thinking about formats

Rarely are things left unchanged

What could be next??

I really enjoyed the Pinehurst format we played at the Grandaddy.

That would be awesome to add in. Would be cool if Pairing were done like you and Harry did also for Singles. President cup style(Could be already I have no Idea)

Did someone hack Hawk's account?

:Alien

Hey, I had a shot at a par 5 in two. That's a great format in my books :)
Haha. Playing Alt shot with Canadan last year and playing a bear of a Par 4 on Caledonia and only having a 54* wedge in to a green was something new for me.

Indeed. Plus, those long knockers still only have to hit a 7 iron or something from where I ended up if it comes to that.

Indeed. Plus, those long knockers still only have to hit a 7 iron or something from where I ended up if it comes to that.

It was actually a 4i from under the trees.

You're welcome, btw.

Haha. Playing Alt shot with Canadan last year and playing a bear of a Par 4 on Caledonia and only having a 54* wedge in to a green was something new for me.
I did the same thing with Jeff, his drives were way out there compared to where I'm used to playing from!

Been thinking about formats

Rarely are things left unchanged

What could be next??

Hope we see alt shot back, so damn fun and pressure packed.

I don't think we could have picked a better split. I never had any distance issues where you put me.

Hope we see alt shot back, so damn fun and pressure packed.

With the right partner, alt shot is an absolute blast. War proved that for me last year.

I don't think we could have picked a better split. I never had any distance issues where you put me.

With the right partner, alt shot is an absolute blast. War proved that for me last year.

Because I am an animal.

I'm terms of alt shot.... Did you all play true alt shot with altering tee balls or did both partners hit a tee ball and pick best one?

KG

Just Tapping Away

Back