Taylormade Tour Preferred CB Iron Review Thread

This pleases me greatly Captain Hawk as I will in all likelihood going in the opposite direction (CB's to Apex) Got tracking update and my CB's will be here tomorrow. Cant wait to get to work.

Nice dude!

BUT I'M SO FREAKING ELITE, HAWK!

(I know)

They're slimmer than the Apexes, so you can still be a little elite?

Def slimmer profile than the Apex's.

But hey, maybe I should be telling ATL to go for the blades in the MC and be really elite, eh? :alien:

But hey, maybe I should be telling ATL to go for the blades in the MC and be really elite, eh? :alien:

Good point. TB72!

No. If I recall, he distinctly had captain feedback regarding his iron choices :)

It would be the most seamless move from your Apex irons imo.

Having hit both, I would second this opinion. Properly fitted, these would be a closer match to the Apex than either the MCs or MBs. Seth, don't listen to JMan. LOL. Take a serious look at these CBs.

This pleases me greatly Captain Hawk as I will in all likelihood going in the opposite direction (CB's to Apex) Got tracking update and my CB's will be here tomorrow. Cant wait to get to work.

This should be an even easier migration Dev, because the Apex was (to me) even more forgiving and longer. I'm counting on it, unless the CPC tells me I would be better suited to something else in the Callaway line.

Last edited:
Hawk was pushing me to the Apex at the Grandaddy. But now he's pushing me into MBs with tip trimmed, X-Stiff C-Tapers for the MC.

I'm so confused.

(Looking forward to a fitting. But I think the CBs will get a long, long look.)

Hawk was pushing me to the Apex at the Grandaddy. But now he's pushing me into MBs with tip trimmed, X-Stiff C-Tapers for the MC.

I'm so confused.

You forgot about the +8 wraps of tape.

You would enjoy these. Wonderfully easy set to play. They also blend well into the other Tour Preferred irons...if you're into that sort of thing.

I'm so confused.

You should definitely look at them Seth they deserve a ton of respect and ponder, I love them so far.

Well I had to change my fitting and it is now scheduled for next Tuesday at 2:30 PM.

I'm excited to get fit into these and be able to share some thoughts with all of you guys, the feedback thus far has been downright impressive.

Well I had to change my fitting and it is now scheduled for next Tuesday at 2:30 PM.

I'm excited to get fit into these and be able to share some thoughts with all of you guys, the feedback thus far has been downright impressive.

Where are you having your fitting? I feel like we have pretty similar games as far as our misses and what we struggle with. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Where are you having your fitting? I feel like we have pretty similar games as far as our misses and what we struggle with. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

I am having the fitting at the TMPL at Glen Eagles country club in Plano, Texas.

I'm quite excited to go through the fitting myself, it's been way too long since I had one and I'm curious if any adjustments are found that need to be made that would really help my ball striking as some others have recently discovered.

I am having the fitting at the TMPL at Glen Eagles country club in Plano, Texas.

I'm quite excited to go through the fitting myself, it's been way too long since I had one and I'm curious if any adjustments are found that need to be made that would really help my ball striking as some others have recently discovered.

Good for you dude, give me some pom poms, I'm cheerleading for these.

Good for you dude, give me some pom poms, I'm cheerleading for these.

I know you are man. These are the most forgiveness I can get from the TP line. Never thought I would be playing the same irons as a ball striker like yourself!

They are just such a fantastic looking set of irons. Definitely smaller than I'm accustomed to but I enjoy the thought of 4-AW. Hit a few 5 irons in CA that I hit surprisingly well.

Another range session, today with the CB 7 and 8 iron. Some quick thoughts:

I thought these were harder to hit than my GI irons? :confused2: It doesn't appear to hold true for me at all. Sure I've lost a little distance, but it's amazing what a proper fitting will do for you because my accuracy has improved 100% since receiving the CBs with the Aerotechs. While I'm not going to sit and claim that every ball I hit is perfect, (noone would believe that anyway) the confidence that I have standing over these irons gives me the freedom to swing away. I'm not anticipating a bad shot anymore, when I look down at the shape of them I expect a nice high shot to the target.

I don't think that an 18 handicap should shy away from these simply because they say Tour Preferred on them. The difference in feel between these and the Speedblades is enough for me to give up a few yards.

I actually took a day off of work tomorrow and spent 8 hours of vacation time just to get out on the course with them, since it's going to be in the mid-70s.

You should definitely look at them Seth they deserve a ton of respect and ponder, I love them so far.

The thought of you with these in your bag scares me........ Unless you end up being my partner at Hilton Head. Then I'll be ecstatic. :alien:

I know you are man. These are the most forgiveness I can get from the TP line. Never thought I would be playing the same irons as a ball striker like yourself!

They are just such a fantastic looking set of irons. Definitely smaller than I'm accustomed to but I enjoy the thought of 4-AW. Hit a few 5 irons in CA that I hit surprisingly well.

Not a good striker dude, mediocre at best but thank you. I like them because like you the compact heads are perfect for my eye so far. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts dude.

So after hitting a whole bunch of different irons today I think I know what I'm doing. It's a little outside the box but I think I'm going for a SB/CB combo, that's Speedblades/CB. I'm going Speedblades 5-7 and CB's 8-AW. The Speedblades long irons were so easy to hit it was like cheating and a full club longer that the Apex and others. I think the CB's are perfect combination of forgiveness and control for my short irons. I'll put the steelfibers in both and adjust the lofts on the CB's to make it work. It's only a combination a THPer would have but I think it's the perfect match for my game.

Did anyone else notice that their irons all have unique serial numbers? I've never seen that before and just noticed it today.

Just ran home upon receiving the Fedex notification that they were delivered. First off the box is too freaking cool. Going to the range tonight to put some work in. Thank you again TaylorMade and THP for making a regular old hack feel special.

8a7uzybe_zps3d2c09d8.jpg

6ymase3u_zps264f5063.jpg

megajytu_zps4ed9a4c6.jpg

ja3y3e3a_zpsa5f4da5f.jpg

pics not showing up for me

Nice Ricky! Lookin' good indeed, looking forward to your thoughts after time with an iron that fits.

Awesome picks Dev! Can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Not the right spot for it but the Iomic stickies are AWESOME. I wanted REL 3Gens but they only had yellow left so went with the Iomics at the urging of my fitter. They feel great.

Just ran home upon receiving the Fedex notification that they were delivered. First off the box is too freaking cool. Going to the range tonight to put some work in. Thank you again TaylorMade and THP for making a regular old hack feel special.

8a7uzybe_zps3d2c09d8.jpg

Looking good. I'd like to get some feedback on the playschool cookie sheet set :alien:

These irons are absolutely something to look at. I put the C-Taper Lite labels on last night and Golf Pride Patriot Z-Grips that match my red, white and blue ferrules. Might get a chance to hit these tomorrow during lunch. My wife is in South Africa right now for work and it's tough to get out to hit golf balls with a 4 1/2 year old daughter.

Last edited:
Back