2014 Morgan Cup Rules & Regulations

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
In just a few short months, the 2014 Morgan Cup will be underway. As many of you know, this event is unlike any other and because of that, and the magnitude of what is happening, there are some rules that must be followed. This year, these rules are to be followed and will be strictly enforced. Failure to abide by them will result in penalties up to and including DQ.

Other rules will be addressed at the event.

Staff Sponsor Day
On Staff Sponsor Day, you are to be there at 9am. Not 8:45am and mull around, not 9:05am, but 9am sharp.
You must be prepared for work. This includes knowledge of the company you are representing.
You must be ready and take any activities given to you by your sponsor seriously.
You must be prepared to update a Staff Sponsor Day Live Update Thread throughout.
If you are going to be hitting another sponsor's equipment, do so away from any cameras.

Sponsor Rules
All OEM Headcovers must be used on clubs before and after each shot.
You must use the glove supplied by the OEM if a glove is being used.
If your company did not supply specific apparel or accessories, then all non company logos must be covered up by tape at the discretion of the official.
The clubs received at Staff Sponsor Day are what will be put in play during competition. No exceptions.
Headwear is to be worn at all times during your round.
Shirts must be tucked in and remain tucked in at all times. If it comes untucked, it must be fixed immediately.

Event Course Rules
All golf matches will follow the rules of golf outlined by the USGA. If there is a question of the rules, you will contact an official (a member of GG's team).
Cell phones are not permitted to be used during the golf round in any fashion.
If a media person asks for an interview (on or off the course), regardless of your situation or mindset, you must take the interview at that time.
There will be NO swearing of any kind on the golf course. Proper language is needed. This is to be strictly enforced.
There will be NO club slamming or throwing of any kind or you will be asked to leave the event.
There will be no music playing during matches.
You must respect the pace of play policy of the golf course.
Failure to stay on pace, will result in forfeiting holes until caught up & this will be strictly enforced.
Stand alone GPS units and Rangefinders are allowed to be used in the event.

General Rules
Fans and followers are allowed on the course, but must wait for the group to move to their ball before proceeding (staying behind players).
Each fan/follower must be checked in with GolferGal before being allowed on the course. Failure to do so, will result in having your team forfeit the match in question. This is to be strictly enforced.
While smoking is allowed, it is not allowed on camera.
Alcohol is prohibited during event play. Failure to comply will result in forfeiture of match.
If you are drinking a soda, bottle of water, or sports drink, please make sure brand label is not showing on camera.
Results are to remain a secret until THP gives the green light. This goes for posting on other sites or social media. Failure to do so, will result in your team being disqualified from the event.

The most important rule of all is that if you are unsure of something, please ask.

Last edited:
Continues to get more and more real. Hopefully everyone takes the time to read these a few times over between now and July to be on the safe side

You'd think that all seems simple enough right? Hopefully the pace of play doesn't become an issue.

Always get excited when this thread goes up.

With every announcement the excitement level grows as it becomes more and more real that I am actually going to be competing in the Morgan Cup. That really is just too cool for words.

Pretty spelled out. Thanks for the thread JB. Shouldn't be too hard to adhere by these guidelines.

I always think it is fun to see the list of rules. It really makes you stop and think about treating your sponsor and THP correctly, as well as putting on a good show for the people who will watch the coverage later.

Very good rules, and super easy to follow.

Complete read through finished! I'm definitely bookmarking this post for reference.

I don't foresee any issues with those rules. Pretty simple to abide by.

You'd think that all seems simple enough right? Hopefully the pace of play doesn't become an issue.

It won't when you play Modified Pinehurst, we played pretty quick in LC with it, it was a blast too!

JB: question as I saw someone else mention in another thread last week.

If someone wants to change their putter grip before the competition starts on Saturday, is that allowed?

I did see above where the clubs received Friday must be used in the event but thought this grip issue may be a bit of a gray area without further clarification.

Continues to get more and more real. Hopefully everyone takes the time to read these a few times over between now and July to be on the safe side
I plan on keeping this on the front page

Hell I got called for slow play last year and pissed me off that we fell out of position. Just took GG telling me once!

Always get excited when this thread goes up.
Yeah right, it means a lot of this when it goes up. We are very close, very very close

Very good rules, and super easy to follow.
You would think, I don't see it being a problem with 25 rookies. They will be so stunned that they will fall right in line with the rest of us.

If someone wants to change their putter grip before the competition starts on Saturday, is that allowed?

I did see above where the clubs received Friday must be used in the event but thought this grip issue may be a bit of a gray area without further clarification.

It will have to be approved by the Tour Rep ahead of time in every instance.

Wow. Unlike anything I couod imagine. It all makes perfect sense. Excitement and realism of the event are creeping in.

With every moment, every new announcement, it gets more and more real. These rules and regs are no brainers and I'm sure every single participant will be in compliance.

Its real-er-er.

Should be ZERO problem for everyone to follow these.

Seem pretty simple to follow. Last year I remember pace of play being a small issue. Everyone, once reminded one time, sped right up and was an issue no longer.

The clubs received at Staff Sponsor Day are what will be put in play during competition. No exceptions.

I'll be the one to ask because I know it was talked about in another thread over the weekend. If someone receives a putter, and they prefer to have a grip that their sponsor did not supply, say a SuperStroke grip, can that player have his own grip installed before play on Saturday?

I will post this here.
I know it will come up.
I know it will be an issue.
Just know that we have provided plenty of warning and mean no ill will.
If you cannot keep pace, you will be asked to pick up your ball and move to the next hole. Please do not throw a fit. Please do not "blame us" for losing if that were to happen. You have plenty of time to get faster if you need to. Everybody has bad holes. But not everybody needs to play at a 5 hour pace. That will NOT be the case and it will be rectified. We apologize in advance if we hurt someone's feelings during the course of the competition, but we will not penalize the entire group, because a couple of people cannot keep up with what we feel is a proper pace.

It will have to be approved by the Tour Rep ahead of time in every instance.

I'll be the one to ask because I know it was talked about in another thread over the weekend. If someone receives a putter, and they prefer to have a grip that their sponsor did not supply, say a SuperStroke grip, can that player have his own grip installed before play on Saturday?

Here you go Dean.

Agreed here. And it's great to have it all laid out in front of us.

Rules to easily live by at the Cup.

Love this annoucement!

Rules and Regulations make this even more real as our days of prep start to wind down.

Back