The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the lady won't let me go hit balls today...something about spending time together lol

So I went in the garage....did some practice putting with my El cheapo putting green deal. Made 40 putts, then hit my smash bag a few and the good ol medicus 7 iron swings.

All while she took a shower and decided to get dress.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I can go to the range, do 45 min chipping, hit a large bucket, putt for half hour and drive back by tje time my wife is ready!

I played 9 holes and hit a bag of balls today. Getting some swing feelings grooved.

Worked on short irons and pitches at the range. Pelz swings in full effect and am liking how my full swing has been recently. Now I have a lawn chair set up in my backyard that I'm hitting at with various shots, some times with a bush right in front of me to force a lofted shot. The straight arm pitch with the ball set on the inside of my front foot and the 730 Pelz swing with my 60 wedge are working the best at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Orange whip and full swing work for me--last night after flying back in town and then again today due to thunderstorms all day. Tons of work with video and swings into the Net Return--the work is starting to pay off on the course finally and I am loving it!

Also doing some Mental Game work today--trying to use Mental prep from a book I am reading and also doing brain games for focus through Pro mental coach and another ThinkQ online one I am trying.

Hit two buckets each of the last two days, working on some Geoff Jones teaching points. When I get my turn done correctly, it's magical!!! I probably need core work now more than range balls!!!

Hit around 150 balls today really concentrating on my footwork and weight shift. Hit some great ones and some horrible ones. All in all it was a productive range session

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grabbed a couple hundred balls today. First was 60-120 yard, varying clubs, swing lengths, and trajectories. Fun times. Probably my favorite thing to practice. Then worked the full swing and tested a couple things. Took the last half bucket of balls and hit touch shots from 25-30 yards, which is something I've been struggling a bit with. Picked them up and then dumped them in some rough and did the same thing. Then picked them up and hit them out of the bunker. Then to the putting green and finally went and hit the last half bucket out onto the range - mix of full swings and short game shots.

Hitting a driving range tonight and it was one of the worst sessions I have had in awhile. Started by hitting wedge shots to a flag that was 75 yards. It was a mixed bag and I was having a hard time taking any type of divot. Then switched to different flags, different irons and it was the same result - hit a lot of them thin. When I tried to compensate I started pushing everything left and couldn't correct it.. Ended up heading to the putting green very frustrated. But overall the the swing felt lazy and I am pretty sure my body was getting out in front of the swing the whole time. I did workout before the range session and not sure if that had anything to do with it. Going to shake it off and get back at it on Saturday.

I cheated a little today. I had planned spending most of the day on the range, chipping green and putting green today. But, about an hour or so into my range session, three of my buddies showed up and wanted to play a little two-man match play. It was a beautiful day, and I'm weak, so off we went. Had a blast.

I did get some good work in though before they showed up. My primary focus for the day was full swings with short irons and wedges. Lately, one of my brain farts has been fatting a wedge when in perfect scoring position. It only happens a couple times per round, but, it's so frustrating to blow an opportunity when you've just hit a great shot to put yourself in position. I was able to spend at least an hour hitting differrent short irons to various targets. I didn't fat any during the round either, so that was good.

Got in a good range session after work. Focused on my 5 & 6 irons; really trying to get my groove back after last weekend when I was duck hooking everything. Weakened my grip just a bit, particularly my right hand, getting it out from the back of the club and a little more on top. Sure enough, able to get the ball in the air again, hitting some sky high 5 yard fades with my 6 iron. Overall, I'm really hoping this change will transfer over to the course on Saturday. Those are the clubs I need in my mitts on the longer par 3's, and when I can hit them to a number, it really gives me a lot of options in terms of what I hit off the tee.

Had another lesson today, thought I was hitting the ball well and my swing was looking good. Boy was I wrong.

My instructor got my swing on video, and here were the issues: standing too close to the ball, too flat in the backswing, too far from the inside on the downswing, too much wrist hinge which led to overswinging. There were 4 different things that I tried to change today: slight change in right hand grip, standing further away from the ball, feeling more upright in the backswing, and then feeling like I'm trying to hit a big slice with every swing to make my swing more neutral instead of too far from the inside. I found it hard to concentrate on all of those things at the same time, and told him that. He took the feedback well, and told me to mainly work on the backswing and downswing thoughts, and the grip change can come in the next few weeks. When I take my swing in slow motion and look in a mirror, I can get in the positions that I need to be in, it's just going to be a long process to incorporate that into my full swing.

For what it's worth, here's my thought for getting the swing more upright: feeling like my left elbow (front elbow) is always pointed straight at the ground. When my swing gets flat, that elbow can put to the side instead of down. My rehearsal swings feel like I'm taking the club straight upwards from the ball, but in reality on the actual swings, it's nowhere close to that. I have to try to exaggerate the feelings of upright in the backswing and out-to-in on the downswing. Remember Tiger from a couple of years ago where all of his practice swings made him look like he was going to slice the heck out of the ball? That's going to be me for the foreseeable future. So it's a bit disappointing that I hadn't made as much progress as I thought since my first lesson of the year, but now I have some specific things to work on until my next lesson in June.

Had another lesson today, thought I was hitting the ball well and my swing was looking good. Boy was I wrong.

My instructor got my swing on video, and here were the issues: standing too close to the ball, too flat in the backswing, too far from the inside on the downswing, too much wrist hinge which led to overswinging. There were 4 different things that I tried to change today: slight change in right hand grip, standing further away from the ball, feeling more upright in the backswing, and then feeling like I'm trying to hit a big slice with every swing to make my swing more neutral instead of too far from the inside. I found it hard to concentrate on all of those things at the same time, and told him that. He took the feedback well, and told me to mainly work on the backswing and downswing thoughts, and the grip change can come in the next few weeks. When I take my swing in slow motion and look in a mirror, I can get in the positions that I need to be in, it's just going to be a long process to incorporate that into my full swing.

For what it's worth, here's my thought for getting the swing more upright: feeling like my left elbow (front elbow) is always pointed straight at the ground. When my swing gets flat, that elbow can put to the side instead of down. My rehearsal swings feel like I'm taking the club straight upwards from the ball, but in reality on the actual swings, it's nowhere close to that. I have to try to exaggerate the feelings of upright in the backswing and out-to-in on the downswing. Remember Tiger from a couple of years ago where all of his practice swings made him look like he was going to slice the heck out of the ball? That's going to be me for the foreseeable future. So it's a bit disappointing that I hadn't made as much progress as I thought since my first lesson of the year, but now I have some specific things to work on until my next lesson in June.

We got similar swings bro. That bucket drill is my favorite.

Good range session tonight and I was very pleased with my ball striking with the odd irons up to 5i. Hybrids had a nice draw but got a bit hooky towards the end. Like Ary mentioned above, practice swings like you want to hit a slice helped me hit them straight to slight draw again. First 3 swings with Bertha were great and then I got a bit lazy and tired. Finished the session with 70yd pitch shots alternating between 50* and 54*. A smooth swing with the 50* was the better option. I'm taking the wedges and shag bag to work tomorrow and need to work on greenside chips maybe during lunch.

Motivation is at an all time high. #theGauntlet. #3for3

We got similar swings bro. That bucket drill is my favorite.

Sadly I can't use that drill because our buckets are metal, not plastic. I've used an old Gatorade bottle in the past, might have to do that again.

More range work on alignment and grip later today to fix my hook issue.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Might have been my best range session in a while. I'm finally striking the driver really well again after going back to Hogan's grip fundamentals and being more mindful of my alignment at address. Bertha has been unleashed!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

After my horrible lesson yesterday and then followed up with all the work I put in at the gym after the lesson it paid off and big time. I had probably the best range session of the year tonight. Everything felt smooth and nice and easy and the ball was just jumping off my club. There's a green in the middle of the range at 150. From where I was hitting the pin was playing 152 and after I got warmed a bit I hit the green 18 out 20 balls with an 8 iron. I was so excited to see the results and have the feel of the swing just feel so smooth. I ended up hitting 2 large buckets and I could have stayed longer had I not run out of daylight!!

After my horrible lesson yesterday and then followed up with all the work I put in at the gym after the lesson it paid off and big time. I had probably the best range session of the year tonight. Everything felt smooth and nice and easy and the ball was just jumping off my club. There's a green in the middle of the range at 150. From where I was hitting the pin was playing 152 and after I got warmed a bit I hit the green 18 out 20 balls with an 8 iron. I was so excited to see the results and have the feel of the swing just feel so smooth. I ended up hitting 2 large buckets and I could have stayed longer had I not run out of daylight!!

Wtg Jimmy, I knew you wouldn't be down for long.

It's surprising how difficult it is to not pick up a club for a week. I'm generally trying to swing every swing I can lol and having a greater purpose behind it like the Morgan Cup creates a higher level of enthusiasm to work hard.

It's surprising how difficult it is to not pick up a club for a week. I'm generally trying to swing every swing I can lol and having a greater purpose behind it like the Morgan Cup creates a higher level of enthusiasm to work hard.

No kidding man it too a weeks worth of rain to stop me. With the travel coming up I've gotta get back to a routine.

I'm really dreading the next two weeks starting Monday when I'll be on the shelf with stitches in my shoulder. I think I'll be able to swing after maybe 10 days, but, that's a long time compared to the pace I've been on. On the bright side. My putting might get a little better. lol

I'm really dreading the next two weeks starting Monday when I'll be on the shelf with stitches in my shoulder. I think I'll be able to swing after maybe 10 days, but, that's a long time compared to the pace I've been on. On the bright side. My putting might get a little better. lol

You are a very good putter already IMO. You should be deadly when you are able to get back on the course, keep us posted on your progress after the surgery.

What was the swing thought you were using?

Freddie, advised me to turn my shoulders and focus on bending my right elbow when the club is hip high. I've been working on that and it's going well. Sorry for the late reply.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk

Tried a new range on my way home from work, it was quite nice!
y3yna9as.jpg

Worked on a few thing and I have a feeling i am about to ginally tame that driver

I want to go to the range, but after having a pass last year, I don't want to pay for a bucket now...not that I did before, but now I really don't..haha

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back