The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Christian that green is huge.

What is the "Bunny Ears" Drill?? I can't freaking find a post on it anywhere.

Toad it was mentioned in Trevor's fitting. Not sure it was ever explained by Freddie.

Toad it was mentioned in Trevor's fitting. Not sure it was ever explained by Freddie.

I thought it was implied that it was in here somewhere....or maybe just that it was coming. I'm dying to know.

That green is huge lots of different shot options there!

Hit the range this morning and did some work- focused on not letting my left hip come to the ball during the back swing this seemed to fix some issues I had during the #LITA

Talked with coach and got a lesson scheduled for tomorrow and will schedule a playing lesson next week.

Told him we need to do some short game work as it's very inconsistent at the moment.

Frustrating day. Wedges and 9i were good. Then as I started working my way back through the bag, I forgot how to swing. It got to the point where the only thing I could do that was OK was take 1/2 swings at half speed. Even my driver, which I had straightened out, failed. I walked away with at least 12-15 balls left, I was so frustrated I just didn't want to get worse.

I'll get back at it in a few days.

Rough day at the range this evening, I went there pissed off about some business things and it really carried over into my session. The positive is that after 2 buckets the last 3 balls were with my driver and I finally tired myself out from swing hard, the balls were perfect lol. Golf is the meanest girl I've ever met!

Chipped and putted. Went well. Also, tennis elbow is a great motivator to shorten my swing.

Had a good practice session today where I focused mainly on putting. I first started off by working on lag putting. The greens were much slower than those experienced in Florida. (More to come in True Balance thread). I worked in varying length lag putts up to 50' with varying success. Next it was to the around the world game starting at 3', 7', and 10'. (6 balls ea). I made it 10 balls around before missing one short side. I think it was good working on slower greens today which allowed me to work on speed and line. All in all I know where the work is needed.

Next I proceed to work on shots from 100-150 yards. Unfortunately due to the sun directly in my face and wet range it was difficult to see where my shots ended up. Therefore I worked mainly on set up and alignment.

A lesson I've seemingly been waiting for for what seems like months now. Outdoor for a change which I really enjoyed, even though it was only 55°. My instructor sort of calls it like it is, and while we've seen improvements, he's not really a compliment thrower, which I suppose is a good thing. He's quick to push me to work harder if things aren't right. Saw good things tonight and got some positive feedback, which was a real mood booster. I've said all along that I was doing this with July in mind instead of tomorrow, but it's not always easy to really believe that. Lots of little things and boring-ass practice are sort of coming together. Still work to do.

Coil is good (backswing still a little long, but much better) and turn through is good. Biggest issue is getting ahead of the ball at impact up to now, which for me causes the hooks in varying severity depending on the club. We worked on my setup and how I address the ball to ensure I'm getting into a position that promotes what I'm trying to achieve. More spine tilt away from the ball and getting my weight more centered, where it had been a bit more stacked towards the lead leg for whatever reason.

From the new address position I will say that I didn't even know how I was going to get back to the ball because it looked so odd and so far ahead of my upper body, but I just focused on covering, driving and turning my chest all the way through and it was like a little bit of magic. Video looked good, especially compared to how it felt standing there at first. Little divots, high balls that were straight or drawing a little rather than the 'controlled' hook, and some good distance. Not earth shattering, but solid and best of all, consistent in contact and dispersion.

The setup is going to get practiced to death in the coming weeks, because I know it'll only quit feeling weird if I stay on it daily. The other thing to keep in my mind is getting myself loose and swinging without tension, because tentative really didn't work. No steering the ball. Really have to turn through it, which for me is a good thing. I get lazy and balls don't go far.

Will work more with the driver next time, because it's still not there for me. Four more lessons to go with the eleven I paid for, which I think will get me through until the MC. May purchase one or two more if needed and talked to him about playing a round together.

That is really good stuff.

That is really good stuff.

Lot of days spent wondering when/if it would come together. I'm not going to go light up a course tomorrow, but it's coming. Finally.

Lot of days spent wondering when/if it would come together. I'm not going to go light up a course tomorrow, but it's coming. Finally.

That's what the journey is about and I am enjoying my own as well. Lots of work but the end results will be worth it.

Yes sir the light can be seen at the end of the tunnel.

#partyeditorsbouttogooff

Rough day at the range this evening, I went there pissed off about some business things and it really carried over into my session. The positive is that after 2 buckets the last 3 balls were with my driver and I finally tired myself out from swing hard, the balls were perfect lol. Golf is the meanest girl I've ever met!

She's a real b just get back at it soon trout

Hawk, that was a fun read for me my friend. I know how hard you've been working and just how much you have dedicated yourself to this and I won't lie, it motivates the **** out of me. Awesome stuff brother.

I know all to well what you mean about not knowing how you'll get back to the ball, when you have ingrained bad things as long as you/I have when someone finally gets to you and shows you the right spots/positions it feels so damn foreign and frankly terrifying too. Trusting the work though, love it, and I do the same with my stance/grip right now, practice it to death and make it feel "normal".

photo25_zps33e1e0a4.jpg

I have a great session today myself, we have still been really working to nail down the proper weight distribution and balance in the swing as well as swinging the club and not slinging/throwing it. I had gotten so good on my timing with my irons doing that, that it appeared as if I was striking the ball well, but it was all a giant ruse. The biggest thing is still going back to the feet together drill and feeling the club swing and the body work back and through, getting my weight to the proper spot on my left foot and my belt/chest around to the finish. Drilled the pee out of that with a 5i and 8i again today. Its SOOOOOOOO boring, but the focus on it pays off and is worth the crazy look I get from the college kids out there wailing away at drivers.

Worked my way through the bag the short way today after that, 8i, 5i, hybo, fairway off deck, fairway off tee, and driver. Swing is still a little long but I've broken the left elbow winging it at impact and also my grip is SOOOOOOOO much better now that I can actually get the club where I need it to go. Still get quick at times and it results in that bottom groove or heeled shot because it makes me get my weight to my toes, but when I stay in tempo I'm just hitting the ball so so so pure. I've hit the ball better off the tee in the last week than I ever have in my life. But the consistency MUST get better. I'm a natural fader of the ball now and I have to trust that it'll be there every time, I'm getting there.

Finished with some 125 and in work with my i25 set SW only and it was a blast. Frankly, it allowed something to click today, I like to think of Hal Sutton's triangle back triangle through thoughts he talked about Harvey Penick telling him I saw on a Golf Channel show a while back and it helps me get to the right spots for the different distances while still finishing through. Today I finally really felt myself dropping the club in and coming in to out which was blissfull, it also got rid of the toe heavy a bit and i was making some balls sit when I went to the course.

Finished by playing 5 before league started and I played a tee ball from the tips, blue, and white every hole so it was basically driver, 5w, hybo on all but the par 3. It was a lot of fun to see the different spots and work different shots in.

I mentioned it to my teammates but I'm actually having FUN playing again, for a while coming out of winter it felt like work, but the grinding really does pay off and if you WANT to improve you really can. Craziness.

*high five*

I love that routine dude. Ahhhh I wish I could do something like that about five times a week.

*high five*

I love that routine dude. Ahhhh I wish I could do something like that about five times a week.

Thanks cap'n.

Me too, and its coming soon, just have to make it to next Wed for school to be out. Bliss.

I also busted out the Yonex Ezone XP 8, 9, P today, my god those things are fun with the graphite in them.

There is some really good stuff in here. I love seeing the practice paying off for folks. I'm hoping to get to the range soon. Feels like it has been forever.

I saw those sitting there. I imagine you can poke it there a little ways with those things.

I saw those sitting there. I imagine you can poke it there a little ways with those things.

Its just funny really, hitting the M3 8i 155 and the XP 170, just silly.

Too nice a day not to get out to the range. My iron swing continues to improve. Getting about 160 of carry from my 6 iron, and the accuracy is starting to improve quite a bit. I feel like this is a swing I can get fit off of, which really makes me happy. Also mucked about a bit with my fairway wood, which is starting to frustrate me a bit. Get the occasional duck hook in there. Just need to slow down and let the club do its job.

So y'all know what you're up against. :alien:

No range time for me just 18 holes of golf. Took a few practice swings and away I went. Worked on my swing on the course with no adjustments in spine angle and level shoulders. Also work on a smooth lag move down wind and saw some of my best distance control I have see in some time. The work lead to 12 of 18 greens and 11 of 14 fairways. I'll be doing more of the same on Friday morning.

I've been having some great range sessions lately, going back through all the basic stuff. Grip, stance, posture, setup, ball position, alignment , partial swing drills, not over swinging , hitting to targets, and etc. It's a good thing to go back through the basics once in a while, even if you think you have them down. imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back