The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good session tonight with the main focus on staying connected with the left arm on the takeaway. It's become the norm in my range session to have a glove tucked under the left arm pit. Good control with the irons but the hybrids were hooking off the tee. I changed my finish to a hold off / fade and that helped straighten it out.

I'm excited about my round Saturday at the Waldorf Astoria GC so I downloaded the scorecard and played a simulated 18 based on blue tee yardages. I need to do this more often as it adds some pressure to the somewhat relaxed session.

Wrapped up the night with some chipping from 10 - 20 ft. A few mini flop shots with 58* wide open are always fun to work on.

No range time for me just 18 holes of golf. Took a few practice swings and away I went. Worked on my swing on the course with no adjustments in spine angle and level shoulders. Also work on a smooth lag move down wind and saw some of my best distance control I have see in some time. The work lead to 12 of 18 greens and 11 of 14 fairways. I'll be doing more of the same on Friday morning.

Freddie what hat does a smooth lag mean?

This might be my favorite thread on the whole site. I can post about a terrible range session, and be completely down on myself, then I'll come back and read about breakthroughs and great sessions others are having and I'm completely motivated to get back out there and try again.

Was at the range last night, in my mind anyway. Visualizing the tasks that have been assigned and some things mentioned to think about. Weird I know, but out of state with no clubs or time. I did however think I saw a golf course right behind hotel. Recon tonight if we get back in time.

Freddie what hat does a smooth lag mean?

Full swing, let the hands drop via gravity and pull through with hands forward and low like a chip. It squares the face without a release. It takes distance off shot down wind and releases once it hits the green

Went to the range last night. Going through the blue track of the PGA Tour Home Academies set again. My lady is trying to pick up golf to spend more time with me, so she started with lesson 1 white track last night so I joined her with lesson 1 blue track.

I hit mixed 8 and 6 irons from 2/3rd to full speed at various targets on the range.
I then grabbed my 3w and hit shots off the deck, as it was my weakest shot last time I played on saturday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Had another encouraging range session yesterday afternoon. I have been focusing on drills in the net the past week, so instead of posting "hey, did the same drills as I did yesterday" in here every day, I decided to wait to make a bit more of a thoughtful post.

Two drills I have been working on are what my pro calls "face angle" and "compression" drills. Face Angle drills are down swinging the club with one hand and manipulating the face to make the ball go straight, left or right. This has helped train me to feel what the face is doing at impact and allows me to be aware of where the face is at during my swing. Compression drills are pretty simple as well, take a 3/4 swing, on the downswing stop about 8 inches away from hitting the ball, take stock of what the face is doing, correct the position if need be, then finish through, trying to "compress" the ball into a den caddy that sits about 2 feet in front of the ball. They sound pretty easy, but those drills definitely make you work.

So after a week of drills, I was able to make it to the range yesterday afternoon and get to put some work in. When you're drilling, you sometimes can get caught up in the monotony and begin to wonder if these little movements really help. Yesterday at the range was validation that things are really moving in the right direction. I was hitting the ball crisp and the ball felt like it was really getting good contact with the center of the face.

I also spent some time with the X2hot pro hybrid that my partner sent me to work with until Myrtle. I love that dang thing. Need to spend a bit more time with it to develop some consistency, but that thing is a beast, can't believe how great it feels.

Finished up the session with some short game practice, specifically chips from about 20 yards away and also worked with the 60 degree on flop shots to a short sided elevated green. I am really getting comfortable with the MD2 wedges as well now, just surprised at how versatile they are.

Going to be playing in league tomorrow night and then a round with THPers this weekend. Now that are little one is settled in, I can get back out on the course instead of being stuck inside working on net drills. Supposed to be a great weekend weather-wise for golf, mid 60's and sunny.

Heading to the range at lunch time today. Plan on spending a lot of time with my 7I and getting this "new" swing dialed in. Range sessions have been encouraging with it, but from an iron standpoint I havent seen an improvement on the course. I do feel like the swing on the course gets quicker and Im more tense whereas range sessions are looser and more free flowing.

Following that up with a lesson tonight (weather permitting), half way point in the lesson package so going to push my teacher to get the train moving and really start focusing on improvement as we have kinda been all over the place as of late. Hoping to squeeze some short game time in afterwards, as its been way too long since Ive been over there.

I like it Mike!

Range session after work for me. Will start with a bucket and focus on shorter swing and turn through ball...most with XL 7i. I'm then gonna spend some time with hybrids off tee as I want to get back to that on the course more.

Finish up with head to head work comparing XL SW and 54* TT...need to solidify some thoughts.

And then hope the practice green has recovered some over the past week. Need some short game work.

Heading to the range at lunch time today. Plan on spending a lot of time with my 7I and getting this "new" swing dialed in. Range sessions have been encouraging with it, but from an iron standpoint I havent seen an improvement on the course. I do feel like the swing on the course gets quicker and Im more tense whereas range sessions are looser and more free flowing.

Following that up with a lesson tonight (weather permitting), half way point in the lesson package so going to push my teacher to get the train moving and really start focusing on improvement as we have kinda been all over the place as of late. Hoping to squeeze some short game time in afterwards, as its been way too long since Ive been over there.

I started getting all tensed up yesterday and he had me just take a couple really loose practice swings, then set up and go. Instant difference all around. It's easy to get all bunched up when you are thinking about setup and your first move.

Trusting the change is the hardest thing when we don't see instantaneous results, its just human nature and I battled this terribly when I first started taking lessons and making changes. It was hard seeing fleeting glimpses in a lesson and in a range session or a shot or two on the course followed by what felt like equal to or worse than prior to all of the work. But then it just finally clicked one day and my gosh it makes it all worth it. Keep on keepin on Mike, keep pushing and I know in my heart it'll all start to click.

I like it Mike!

Range session after work for me. Will start with a bucket and focus on shorter swing and turn through ball...most with XL 7i. I'm then gonna spend some time with hybrids off tee as I want to get back to that on the course more.

Finish up with head to head work comparing XL SW and 54* TT...need to solidify some thoughts.

And then hope the practice green has recovered some over the past week. Need some short game work.

Love it Cookie. Our minds must be eerily in sync, I re-dedicated myself to the hybrid ball off the tee as I've worked so much on the driver that I drifted away from that shot and playing to numbers when need be. Also worked all set SW yesterday to see how I felt about it vs the TT there, honestly thinking about changing my order and dropping the TT, I really don't think I'd miss it. Keep on working brother!

I played nine last night, but then spent about 45 minutes on the range with a 6 iron blasting away, trying to increase my power rather than just coasting through the swing. Gotta get those hips firing earlier to help reduce my draw and increase my inertia into the ball to get the numbers I am really hunting for.

Then, I decided it would be fun to hit my buddy's Nike Covert Tour driver because he's got the Kuro Kage X flex in it -- A shaft I typically don't like because of how harsh it feels -- Shame too, because I was absolutely destroying the golf ball with it. Good mid flight, hammered down the pipe every single time.

Played some holes after an abbreviated range session. Trying to ingrain the new posture. Was keeping my posture well but I'm just not comfortable with it on the course yet. I can see where its going, which is good, but it will take some more time to settle in. Missed every green on the front but hit 5 on the back so there was improvement as the round went on.

Tough to play so poorly but I know its working toward a positive result

Dedicating some good amount of time to the chipping green today. Looking to work on a variety of shots with 54 and 58

Got a workout this morning during my lesson almost 2hrs of videos and drills to keep my right knee from straightening during the back swing and left hip moving toward the ball. This move also caused a weird wobble of my hands before the downswing.

The funny thing is that I saw this same move in pics my wife took this weekend at #LITA. I love how my lessons have taught me to see what's wrong in my swing and I'm slowly learning how to fix what I see.

When we first fixed my knee/hip issue I couldn't hardly get back to the ball but after a half dozen swings or so I got that part figured out and was hitting the ball with a boring lower launching ball flight(more normal). After lots of practice with the 7i he had me start at PW and then work my way all the way to the driver concentrating on my right knee bend. I made it through the bag with some really good ball strikes and some ok ones.

Lots of work ahead to make this move permanent, but it will be done.

On the positive side he and I are happy with the how much my swing has improved since lessons started this winter. My swing looks so much better than it did a few months ago and with it my ball striking has improved.

After a few days of not being at the range I'm pretty pumped to get back at it tonight. I'm gunna focus quite a bit on my driver as the driver has been giving me some serious issues over the last week or 2. Haven't even gotten a real chance to use the new swing on the irons which I'm most comfortable with right now because I'm constantly trying to get out of trouble. Regardless I'm looking forward to getting back into range mode.

Went to the range and practiced variety of shots with 54 and 58 wedges. Had some good shots and some bad. I have been having issues sometimes blading chips and pitches with the toe shooting the ball straight out to the front of me. Focusing on keeping the head steady and putting the face to the ball crisply. Then went and hit a large bucket. Half of it were just trash swings. Just could not get good contact on the ball. Suddenly I remembered to keep my head steady and started to pure shots one after the other. Over all it was an informative session and I left being hopeful with my game. Looking forward to my next practice session tomorrow morning

After about 7 or 8 lessons, I'm working out my swing. Usually spend 3-4 days a week at my local range near Ft. Worth. I'm just at the point where I'm slamming balls with my irons...almost never take a driver out of the bag. Right now I'm just looking for consistency in my swing. Happily, my lessons are paying off as my swing is vastly improved. I hit much longer distances and a good percentage of hits are up in the air. One of the biggest helps was buying a Bushnell Z6 Jolt. Now I know how far I hit each club. Never had a clue before.

Also decided to become a member at the range. I figure as much as I'm there, it'll pay for itself in about 2 months!

My wrist hurts...my elbow hurts...my shoulder is achy...I have a callous developing on my index finger. Couldn't be happier!

The itch is back! Hit up the range on lunch today, and a short 10 minute chipping practice. Recorded some video and saw a few things that I thought I was doing, but actually wasn't. Was able to correct them somewhat and hit some solid shots. Still got some work, but it was nice that it actually felt good being out there. Decided to try and practice the little adjustments with my chipping as well, and oh boy did it make a big difference there. Chipped about 10 from within 30 yards; every one was within 5-6 feet. Chipped about 4 or 5 from 30-50 yards; every one was within 10 feet. That felt so good!

I had a solid hour or so today between the putting green and hitting a few 6 irons. I have focused on green reading drills over the last week or so and although it has been a struggle, I am starting to see some improvement. I have actually stopped using my mat at home as I think it is causing more issues than it is helping.

I worked on shanking the ball today. I was doing an awesome job of it. I walked off the range and did some chipping work from the fringe and putted for about an hour. I had been hinging my right wrist too much in my back swing (putting) so I've been working hard to eliminate that lately. My speed has been much better since a friend noticed that little flaw.

I walked back over to the range and hit 5 really well struck iron shots and went home. I was in my head way too much which I'm pretty sure caused those shanks.

I had a solid hour or so today between the putting green and hitting a few 6 irons. I have focused on green reading drills over the last week or so and although it has been a struggle, I am starting to see some improvement. I have actually stopped using my mat at home as I think it is causing more issues than it is helping.

Green reading is actually pretty cool when you learn all the little tricks. I am by no means an expert but I have a lot of fun practicing it now. What kind of drills have you been using?

Green reading is actually pretty cool when you learn all the little tricks. I am by no means an expert but I have a lot of fun practicing it now. What kind of drills have you been using?

A clock drill where you hit putts from 3,4,5,6, and 9 feet from four sides of the same hole. Another where you put down 5 piles of 5 balls in random spots 7-9 feet from the hole and try to make at least 3 of 5. I am also doing a gate drill where you take a 10-12 foot putt with a fair bit of break, then make a gate with two tees just wider than the ball about 10-12 inches in front of you that the ball needs to travel through on it's way to the hole.

Another frustrating session. Started out great, hitting nice wedge shots with my feet close together, feeling like my hands went no higher than my hips. Great trajectory, nice distance. But I could NOT transfer that feeling to full iron shots, at all. My fade morphed into a slice. Ugh.
Strangely enough, my driver was great. Last 10 balls were just crushed. But same thing, can't take that feeling to my irons either.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back