The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

As others have said, this makes sense from a timing perspective and will hopefully help with the pace of plat which is obviously important. Based on history, maybe some will get a little more of a breather between rounds if things work out correctly.

JM

Not necessarily.

Ok, so general play will be allowed on the course at some point. As you said, pace of play is going to vital. A match can turn if the pace slows or throws a rhythm that has been gained.

I think this is a pretty smart move given the number of folks involved. Should save the last groups almost an hour versus all going off #1.

Definitely an interesting change that makes a lot of sense.

I think it makes complete sense. Like Donne said, it'll shave at least an hour off that first round

Assuming the order remains the same, this will be the lineup going off on 10:

v.man & O'Carroll
Hawk & MikeDean441

Paladin & Adwillingham
ParShooter & Coers

Jersey Nate & Mmaynard
Mward & NebGolfer

Trout Bum & Six4Three5
GolferBest & AdamW238

War Eagle & Devrickus
Castor Hades & Wicked Cool Bearded Man

First group off?! BRING IT!

For those of us that were scheduled to tee off at the end or in our case very last, this is a relief. Was a little nervous about finishing extremely late and having to go straight back out without stopping. This should provide at least a few minutes between rounds. I think its very smart.

I hope you are right Pete, as that means Team THP is leading off on both sides

#SetToneEarly

I think it's a great move. This should hopefully allow everyone a chance to finish in time to get rested and some food before the 2nd 18.

Assuming the order remains the same, this will be the lineup going off on 10:

v.man & O'Carroll
Hawk & MikeDean441

Paladin & Adwillingham
ParShooter & Coers

Jersey Nate & Mmaynard
Mward & NebGolfer

Trout Bum & Six4Three5
GolferBest & AdamW238

War Eagle & Devrickus
Castor Hades & Wicked Cool Bearded Man

First group off?! BRING IT!

I hope you are right Pete, as that means Team THP is leading off on both sides

#SetToneEarly

Never even thought of this. My plan of burying myself in the middle of the pack has come back to haunt me lol. J/k of course.

Split tees make perfect sense! I like the move.

This sounds good to me. Just aslong as I got my fans there and the song (Another one Bites the Dust) on my first tee I will be good. Ill be ready to hit another bomb off the Tee LOL

Was curious how it would work with all the groups going off on 1. This just makes sense.

Was curious how it would work with all the groups going off on 1. This just makes sense.

I know at some of the other events, it has been tough to be in one of those last few groups off. You want to support everyone going off ahead of you, but with 10 foursomes (or more), it is tough to stay loose for the 60-90 minutes between the first tee time and yours.

I like the split tees. I think a lot of people were worrying about getting done in time to have a little break between matches. This solves it all. Still need to play at a good pace but no need to really rush at all.

I think this makes a ton of sense for pace of play, and wouldn't be surprised to see it happen during the afternoon round as well. The only downfall is that every single player and participant won't be able to watch the first tee shots from the opening group, but the positives from this choice outweighs the negatives.

FWIW, it's nice that #1 and #10 on True Blue are both par 5 holes that have pretty open fairways on them, the tee shot isn't that hard if a person can control his nerves on that tee. Plus, both holes are 3 shot holes unless you're a big hitter, so a bad tee shot won't hurt all that much if it happens.

Its a great idea to split the tees with 1 and 10. Makes for a faster first round and people will have plenty time to grab lunch and make it to 2nd round

I'm game. Sounds like a plan to me, I wouldn't know any better either way so just point me the right direction and I'm thrilled!

The irony in the whole thing is that there are still more on each tee than the 1st MC.

I get that. Maybe I should rephrase. It will certainly be different from the last 2 events that had large fields. I have no issues with it, in fact I think there are more positives than negatives to it. Last year was the first time on Saturday AM that I did not go off in the first group. Sitting there and waiting over an hour to tee off was certainly a downside. Now those groups at the tail end of the matches won't have to wait as long and I think that is certainly a positive. It will get guys out on the course faster, and should alleviate that sudden rush to get to Caledonia between rounds.

One interesting thing to me(not complaining so please don't take it like that), is that one 9 has 3 par 5's and the other has 3 par 3's. So half the groups are going to be playing those in one format, and the other half with the other format. I don't think there is necessarily a clear advantage or disadvantage either way. But just thinking about the course setup this morning made me think of that.

Either way I like it. Get the guys out on the course earlier and faster and it should help set the pace throughout the day.

Wow, that is crazy indeed - but a smart move!

Does this impact format? Meaning is the format dictated by YOUR front 9 or is format by holes 1-9 and 10-18, etc? Hope that makes sense.

This was my question as well. Glad we got that cleared up!

I'm game. Sounds like a plan to me, I wouldn't know any better either way so just point m the right direction and I'm thrilled!

just tell me where to go and I'll be ready to attack the course with you buddy

I think it's a brilliant move to use both nines to keep the flow going. Well done :clapp:

Like the announced change. If you think you will have less nerves because less people are watching then you might want to think again. Its the Morgan Cup and there would still be nerves if only 5 people were watching us

This make a ton of sense, and I love how it was done. Splitting the tees at 1 and 10 just makes the morning round a bit easier to navigate through to get to the afternoon round without having to sweat it.

Back