Report: FBI investigating Phil Mickelson

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Insider trading and being investigated along with a professional gambler? That's not a good look for Phil.

Full article from golf.com: http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/p...alters-being-investigated-insider-trading-fbi

Phil Mickelson, professional gambler William "Billy" Walters and billionaire investor Carl Icahn are being investigated by the FBI and Securities and Exchange Commission as part of a "major insider-trading probe involving finance, gambling and sports," according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

The WSJ reports that Mickelson was approached by FBI agents after finishing his opening round yesterday at The Memorial Tournament in Dublin, Ohio. Mickelson referred the agents to his attorney. Glenn Cohen, identified as a lawyer for Phil Mickelson, told the WSJ that "Phil is not the target of any investigation. Period."

Icahn is the founder of Icahn Capital Management and has an estimated net worth of $23 billion. His publically-disclosed positions have the ability to boost or bury stocks. At issue is whether Walters and, by proxy, Mickelson, benefitted from non-public information given to them by Icahn prior to a takeover bid for Clorox.

The FBI is also investigating Dean Foods trades made by Walters and Mickelson in 2012 prior to a quarterly earnings report, according to the New York Times. The trades are not connected to Icahn.

Walters is known as one of the most successful sports bettors in the country. He owns several golf courses in Las Vegas, including Bali Hai. He partnered with Fredrik Jacobson to win the AT&T National Pebble Beach Pro-Am in 2008.

Wow, was just about to post this.

Always heard Phil was a pretty big gambler, but never anything like this. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I don't know, saying he's not the target of inside trading kinda kills it dead. He might be being asked questions in regards to Mr Walters and Mr Icahn.

As busy as Phil is with practice, family, travel etc I highly doubt he's really making a lot of his own financial decisions. His financial advisors are doing all his handling for him and he's just being told to let them do their job and he keep doing his. That's just my unofficial and information lacking opinion though.

Hmm, interesting article.

Interesting stuff.

Doubtful that he has any true involvement but not attention you want regardless.

....and just when i was about to win his US Open paycheck too...

I doubt this will phase Phil's popularity at all even if he was eventually charged.

Just seeing this, I imagine Phil will be alright in all of this.

We'll see how this plays out. I like to think Phil is not involved but hey we just never know

When did Phil start complaining about his taxes? Phil likes to gamble, won a million on the Raven with their first Super Bowl win. It will be interesting to see what is uncovered.

Those are some pretty serious charges being levied against him, hopefully it's just a Q&A and he'll be cleared of any involvement, at least I hope that's the case I like ole Phil.

I guess we shall see what develops.

Not a Phil fan, but this looks pretty benign at this point. We shall see what happens.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk.

Enjoy your prison stint Martha.

They like to make examples of celebrities.

I don't think the fbi makes this public unless they have the goods. I think this gets ugly for Phil.

I don't think the fbi makes this public unless they have the goods. I think this gets ugly for Phil.

He might need to hold on to that Big Big paycheck.

Definitely not the kind of attention you'd want. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Being known as gambler, this will be interesting how it plays out. Probably not something KPMG would like to hear about one of their athletes they sponsor.

I'm no Phil hater but why does everyone think that he is impervious to doing anything remotely wrong? Everybody has demons in their closet and this guy is no different. I'm not saying he is guilty but I think we all know that if this came out about Tiger, everyone would be nailing him to the cross by now. Just my 2 cents

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Money and greed. One of the biggest downfalls of man.

Being known as gambler, this will be interesting how it plays out. Probably not something KPMG would like to hear about one of their athletes they sponsor.

I remember a long time ago rumors were around about his gambling and how much he owed. Hate to hear that something like this could be possible, but not surprised at the same time.

Back