The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

I may need some help relaxing as we get closer. Tunnel vision

I'm in the midst of one of my longest breaks from golf in the past couple of months...it's a little self-imposed, as well as some circumstances this weekend that preclude golfing. It's great to have a goal, though, and that keeps golf on my mind. But my decision to stay off the course for a few days feels good. I'd been getting a little too wound up about things. I know a lot of people are talking about the excitement and the pressure, and I feel it, too. It's also a lot of fun, and I'd kinda forgotten that of late...enough that it wasn't just affecting my swing, but my life. So a couple of days to get some well-needed recharging of the batteries feels good.

Plus, I know I have 18 on Monday and another 18 on Tuesday planned.

I'm in the midst of one of my longest breaks from golf in the past couple of months...it's a little self-imposed, as well as some circumstances this weekend that preclude golfing. It's great to have a goal, though, and that keeps golf on my mind. But my decision to stay off the course for a few days feels good. I'd been getting a little too wound up about things. I know a lot of people are talking about the excitement and the pressure, and I feel it, too. It's also a lot of fun, and I'd kinda forgotten that of late...enough that it wasn't just affecting my swing, but my life. So a couple of days to get some well-needed recharging of the batteries feels good.

Me too, golf was becoming daunting and I was getting really frustrated off about it. A few days off has been really nice and I'm actually much more relaxed right now. Tomorrow will be the test though.

Here I thought I was alone lol.

Last edited:
Me too, golf was becoming daunting and I was getting really frustrated off about it. A few days off has been really nice and I'm actually much more relaxed right now. Tomorrow will be the test though.

Nope! Im sure many of us benefit from taking a little break. I know with the weeks ending rather quickly and this epic event just around the corner that many have pushed themselves farther in their game then ever before.. Taking a day or a few is good for the body and mind.

Trout on a playing level , feel free to rest untill the cup :)

Nope! Im sure many of us benefit from taking a little break. I know with the weeks ending rather quickly and this epic event just around the corner that many have pushed themselves farther in their game then ever before.. Taking a day or a few is good for the body and mind.

No days off for my boy! Outside of some mental health relaxing days I know he's working his tail off for this amazing event!

No days off for my boy! Outside of some mental health relaxing days I know he's working his tail off for this amazing event!

Apparently trout is one of those guys that can take months off and come out and shoot 76. I hate him lol

I know he is, just trying some suggestive messaging. . Trying to mess up the Grove. . "Beware the grove"

Apparently trout is one of those guys that can take months off and come out and shoot 76. I hate him lol

hmmmm.. change of plans.. Trout.. practice to you wear yourself out.. :)

Somehow I dont think either strategy is going to be effective. Still believe its going tocbe a fun yet epic matchup!

It's good to take a break every now and then, rest is good. Headed to play 18 now, then 48 hours break. Tuesday morning maybe a round.

I'm pretty pumped, it's not long until we can all throw some high fives at the True Blue & Caledonia!

It's funny, the more rest I get the better I play lol, I may just take your advice. On second thought nah.

Indeed buddy a few mental health days this week and a few more for some fishing soon and all will be well.

Oh no not at all, there was a day when I lived in Fla but not anymore lol, now I have to stay on it because I know no one is resting on their laurels for this amazing event and everyone will be playing the best golf of their lives. We'll be no exception will we?

You guys are funny.

Wonder if we will be able to have the new THP towels on our bags at the MC?

Why wouldn't it be? Unless your OEM gives you a towel I don't see it as an issue

Why wouldn't it be? Unless your OEM gives you a towel I don't see it as an issue

I'll be rocking the THP towel on my gamer bag during the practice rounds (and pretty much every round post MC). If it's missing for the three MC rounds (because I'm rocking an equally awesome Callaway towel), all good.

I found out the hard way that over working something and especially the golf game can often burn ya out. I had to take a break after the King because golf was becoming a chore instead of fun. I'm playing less golf these days than ever in my life although moving has redirected my focus. Take a pause guys and refresh your mind and body. It's necessary.

After playing a ton the last weekend, I've taken 4 or 5 days off and am ready to get back at it. Taking a few days off has given me the chance to recharge the batteries so to speak.

I think the prep for this event takes a lot out of you both mentally and physically. staying focused on a mission that started some six months ago definitely has caused some mental fatigue for me. I have taken multiple breaks just to rest my mind. Although, still thinking about this event constantly.

Physically, It's the same story. Even tour pros take breaks from the game to rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had about 15 days of "rest" because of a little surgery, and it really killed me to be off that long. Since being cleared to play again, I've played 9 out of 10 straight days, not necessarily because I wanted to, but, because of commitments. It turns out that didn't work out so well. About mid way through, a vertebrae in my neck has moved, pinching a nerve and causing pain down my neck through the left shoulder blade. I played our Member/Guest tournament over the passed four days with what feels like an ice pick in that shoulder. Now, I cannot get into any position that relieves that pain. Instead of having my weekly lesson tomorrow and resuming range work, I'll be visiting a chiropractor several days this week in an effort to be ready for the SeeMore Event next weekend.

I post all this just to emphasize that taking a day or so rest now and then can certainly be more beneficial than over doing the work and ending up being forced to do so. I've been through this before, so, I'm not overly worried. It just irks me that it's another week or preparation lost, when there is so little time left.

I have been keeping a schedule like I am typically used to through this all. I'll typically practice or play a few days in a row and then take a couple of days off. I have the first week of July penciled in as my last major break as we are expected to move that week and that is typically the time frame I look for before a big tournament.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Got a quick bucket in this morning working on tempo. It seems to be the one thing that still gets outta wach during a round. Resting till wednesday..

Im on a work imposed layoff. Last couple of days last week kept me off the course after work because of rain and now traveling for work. Get home in time to pack up and head to Nashville for the Seemore bash.

THMPC is never far from my mind though.

JM

For me its the balance of not overdoing it with the knowledge that I have so much left to improve. I do know that I will sleep Well In August though! Lucky, work trips take me away long enough to get off a golf course. I may still invade a golf store for some putting green work, but try to get the rest from the full swing work during work travel.

I also think it is important to not practice the same way every day. Changing it up by playing games with yourself or having a fun day where you try different recovery shots or try to hit 20 fades or draws in a roll can be really good and a way to test your mental toughness.

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I'll practice in some sort of fashion every day. On days where I'm a little beat up or there's just bad weather, I'll practice putting either indoors or at the course, or just do something that's light on the body. The only time that was rough was a couple weeks ago where I tweaked my left knee something fierce and any sorta practice session usually involved an ice pack on it on and off for hours. Thankfully, that's healed up. For a while, I thought I tore my other knee meniscus and I was gonna be pretty pissed off till the MC was over.

Lots of great convo in here. I set my year up where I front loaded a ton of practice in the winter months, practicing probably 5 days a week because I knew once my daughter was born, practicing was really going to be based around her schedule. That's exactly what has happened and I am sure glad I put in a bunch of work early on in the winter. It's now just been focusing on short game and maintaining the swing that I have built. Some days are better then others, but the consistency is beginning to build up and the scores are starting to trend down a bit.

When it comes to taking breaks, you'd be so surprised what 2 or 3 days away from the course/range can do for you. For me, I love the rejuvenation that I get from those little breaks. They are forced now, (like this past weekend) more than they are voluntary, but I still think it is great to step away from the game for a few days every so often. You can become burnt out very quick if you don't.

Andrew Rice posted this on twitter yesterday, and it is so true and relate-able, especially for guys on THP lucky enough to compete in these competition events.

From early April until now, I've played about 40 rounds, there's days when I go out there and think, why did I even come here, 3-4 days in a row of 5 AM tee times sure wears you out. But with two kids, work and everything, I aim to play as often I just can, but a day or two off does feel good.

From early April until now, I've played about 40 rounds, there's days when I go out there and think, why did I even come here, 3-4 days in a row of 5 AM tee times sure wears you out. But with two kids, work and everything, I aim to play as often I just can, but a day or two off does feel good.

Me too bro. Not as many rounds but 5 am's are my friend too. My score usually sucks when I play that early but I get work in.

Back