The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

Great and good words from so many.

I feel sad that this era will end, and yet I feel happy. Change is good, and something's must come to an end that even greater things can rise. I'm sure JB, GG and this community will be able to create events that are beyond everything. I have thanked JB, GG, THP and OEM's many times before, and I will do it again, but first...let's get this amazing and fantastic weekend of flabbergasting fun over with.

Seriously, an enormous thank you to yo all, and I'll hug you on Sunday!!

CJ you have enriched the lives of so many by coming to THP. A larger than life, road traveling, family man. The sliver you so desperately wanted, believe it or not, you got it. You got in spades my friend and I think you are the bench mark people need to follow. I am truly sad that you can't be in a Morgan Cup but carrying the spirit to each event like you do is more than a few have ever done. You sir have gotten that taste and made the most of it.

I knew this post would come just didn't know when. I am sad for those that have supported the event beyond signups but as it was said, something else is coming. Not in those words, but if you know JB, something else is coming. It will be bigger and better then anyone could expect.

The anniversary of this event is when I really dove head first into THP. I volunteered for the first event and had a blast. Like so many, I was like a fly attracted to the bright light. But I was fortunate enough to build a solid friendship with the master mind of this event and really got what the event was all about. I was able to look at with different eyes then I did that hot day, on the range, during the first Morgan Cup. As JB said each of us that have been in this event, arrived at our destination in our own way. My appreciation of the event is mine and mine alone. It is shared by others but the meaning is mine. I appreciate that and it only took 3 years to figure out.

Though some might feel slighted by the closing of this chapter. Don't be, look at the bigger picture. Look at what THP has evolved into because of the success of this event. Each of the Invitational winners owe thanks to the MC. The Dream Team owes it's legacy to the MC. Love is in the air, blossomed in the soil of the Morgan cup. So even though the event it self may be gone, it's spirit lives on in each event THP puts on and will put on.

I applaud two people, that would tell me to stop, for their tireless dedication to improving their product (THP) each and everyday. It is truly a thankless, emotionally draining task to be on point as they are everyday.

End of Era, I think not, the best has yet to come.

I have to say, and be completely honest, that I feared this post was coming. I first became active on THP as the Morgan Cup participants were already selected for the 2013 MC
I watched the emotion, I watched as strangers became friends, Friends became brothers, that family feeling is what makes this place so special.

I desperately wanted to experience a sliver of that. The thought of becoming a Morgan Cupper, to be a true part of the brotherhood, to me cannot be expressed.
My strive for improvement in part had been fueled by the dream of someday getting to be a part of the best amateur golf event period, or as aptly renamed the best damn golf event period.
The shiny new clubs are definitely nice, but the meaning of the Morgan Cup to me meant: Self Improvement, teamwork, honor, pride, friendship, and commitment. All the other stuff was a bonus.

I am saddened that " Morgan Cupper" is something I'll never get to call myself.
Those who are Morgan Cuppers, congratulations!!, embrace every moment.

Thank you, Morgan, JB, and sponsors for making dreams come true through this fantastic event.

I believe in the vision of THP, status quo is not on the menu here. I look forward to the horizons, albeit through watery eyes...

Sorry for the babble.

CJ you have enriched the lives of so many by coming to THP. A larger than life, road traveling, family man. The sliver you so desperately wanted, believe it or not, you got it. You got in spades my friend and I think you are the bench mark people need to follow. I am truly sad that you can't be in a Morgan Cup but carrying the spirit to each event like you do is more than a few have ever done. You sir have gotten that taste and made the most of it.

I knew this post would come just didn't know when. I am sad for those that have supported the event beyond signups but as it was said, something else is coming. Not in those words, but if you know JB, something else is coming. It will be bigger and better then anyone could expect.

The anniversary of this event is when I really dove head first into THP. I volunteered for the first event and had a blast. Like so many, I was like a fly attracted to the bright light. But I was fortunate enough to build a solid friendship with the master mind of this event and really got what the event was all about. I was able to look at with different eyes then I did that hot day, on the range, during the first Morgan Cup. As JB said each of us that have been in this event, arrived at our destination in our own way. My appreciation of the event is mine and mine alone. It is shared by others but the meaning is mine. I appreciate that and it only took 3 years to figure out.

Though some might feel slighted by the closing of this chapter. Don't be, look at the bigger picture. Look at what THP has evolved into because of the success of this event. Each of the Invitational winners owe thanks to the MC. The Dream Team owes it's legacy to the MC. Love is in the air, blossomed in the soil of the Morgan cup. So even though the event it self may be gone, it's spirit lives on in each event THP puts on and will put on.

I applaud two people, that would tell me to stop, for their tireless dedication to improving their product (THP) each and everyday. It is truly a thankless, emotionally draining task to be on point as they are everyday.

End of Era, I think not, the best has yet to come.

Freddie I didn't think anything you ever said or wrote could top your celebration dinner speech last year.

You just smashed it with that post. Both about the MC and especially CJ.

You have a true gift of expression.

Last edited:
Some great thoughts, comments and replies to a post from JB I feared was coming. This journey has been a highlight of this fun/frustrating/fabulous activity we call golf. Not only as it pertains to the actual participation in the activity, but what THP and the family here has offered up to others freely. I would have never thought I would be a part of something so Ultimate as this...and for that I am truly honored. I am not a very emotional kind of guy, but knowing that the forum, volunteers, and those fortunate few sticking a tee in the ground next week will have put everything they have into this...I'm not so sure.

Thanks for the memories provided to me, others...and dreams of what is to come. There won't be another Morgan Cup, but I know every day brings change, new life...and excitement to this sport and heavily fueled by THP.

Honored and forever changed.

It is such a blessing and honor to be a part of this event. What some might look at as just an event with an awesome amount of SWAG, they are not getting the whole picture. To everyone that has anything to do with this event you are part of something incredible. Changing lives through golf is how I look at it.
For those of us that are lucky enough to participate we have pushed ourselves to places many have never seen to represent all those that cannot be here. While it is sad to think the journey is finishing and we may be the last to participate in this journey... Take the next week and a half and dive in and give it your all.
We owe this to everyone... We will worry about tomorrow when it gets here but we still have today special and take this event to places it will never see again. MC Brothers, let's give our all and have this archived in our memory banks forever

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

I am bummed that this will be the last one, but as many have said cant wait to see what JB and Morgan come up with next. I can still remember missing the MC by just 3 days in myrtle beach 2 years ago. I wanted so badly to change my family vacation so I could be there to meet everyone and witness the awesomeness of such an event. I kept thinking maybe next year, maybe next year. Sadly that wont happen now, but I love this place and all it stands for and am proud to be part of such an awesome community.

Play well my friends, soak it all in, it is a weekend to enjoy and an experience you will never forget.

Well, I'll admit, the news of this being possibly the last Morgan Cup saddens me a bit, I'll be honest. I played this event for me and my team but also to keep the dream alive for others that would follow me in future cups. I represented my sponsor and THP to the best of my ability to show everyone how much I really cared about this event and what it was doing for us average Joe's. I've tried to lead by example in every post, tweet, facebook post, playing in my weekly game and with other THP'ers. I have never had one negative thought or comment come from my Morgan Cup experience. My buddy that use to play on the mini tours continues to follow up each conversation we have about the Morgan Cup with, "You are my hero." Yes, he's being facetious but what he's really saying is, I was one luck SOB getting to do this not once but twice now.

It's an honor getting to play in what might be the end of an era.

Reading Josh's posts and the wonderful posts by my fellow THPers are making me choke up a bit...the feeling is certainly a mixture of pride, honor, gratefulness, and a little melancholy. I'm honored to be a part of what is to be the last Morgan Cup, a one-of-a-kind event that will never be duplicated. I remember the sinking feeling I got when I thought my chances at an event like this were over after last year, only to be surprised at its return (and infinitely more surprised at my selection). This time I do feel like this the end of the Morgan Cup era here on THP.

The difference this time around, for me, is #FranchiseRewritten. The King. The Grandaddy. The Invitational Series. Love Is In The Air. SeeMore. #OwnTheSecondShot. #PersonalDistance. THPers have played some of the greatest courses armed with not only the knowledge of a sponsoring company representative, but the collective expertise of my family here. We've had drinks together, we've shared our greatest achievements as well as our darkest moments. To any THPer disappointed that they don't get a chance to be a part of this iconic event, I completely understand...however do not despair for long, as I have zero doubt in my mind that there are big things coming in the future. It's just how Josh and Morgan operate...they don't take side steps. They definitely don't take steps backward...they are never stagnant.

THP has truly been as many have said, a second family to me. You all supported me the instant I decided to "come out" to the community. You've answered countless numbers of questions ranging from golf gear to life in general. You were there for me to vent when I was down and share in my excitement when I felt joy. THP has changed my life and the lives of so many men and women who have been touched by this place, and I thank each and every one of you for it. Thank you to our incredible sponsors, and thanks to Josh and Morgan for always dreaming big for us regular guys and gals.

So as next weekend will be our collective goodbye to #THPMC, every moment will be doubly embraced. You all have been engulfed in this wonderful journey and have done this place proud in 39 unique ways...I know we're going to put on one heck of a show.

Anytime something as original and as mind blowing as the #THPMC comes to an end it is something to be sad about.
I'll never truly know what it was like, but I'm glad that many many hackers did.

This hacker is looking forward to a new era.

Something I read a long time ago by a guy named Mark Rosewater (lead designer for Magic: the Gathering) is that restriction breeds creativity. Golfers like Phil and Seve wouldn't be known for the creative geniuses they are if not for the crazy places they put themselves in. That JB has created and put in place the restriction of no more Morgan Cups, given the creativity that he's already shown for new directions for THP, just leads me to believe he didn't want the Morgan Cup to be a fall back. There's too much forward movement, too much momentum, to let the things of the past become a burden, a must-do. My hats off to Josh and Morgan, for being willing to part with an event as popular as THPMC. I'm sure it will free July for something new and spectacular.

That being said, I do wish the Morgan Cup could continue so that everyone willing could get an opportunity to participate. That part bums me out a bit, and I don't think anyone can tell me to feel otherwise. But I can also glow with pride to take part in the last Morgan Cup, and look forward to new horizons for this community. For those who have missed out, I'm confident that this just means you'll get a chance to take part in inaugural events that are coming seemingly every year.

Reading JB's post really brought home again how special an event this is. Reading about, following, and watching the highlights of the Morgan Cup was one of the things that really showed me how special and different a place THP is - truly a community, and not just a website and forum.

To get a chance to participate in the Morgan Cup, let alone what will be the last one, is both a dream and an honor. I look forward to forging those bonds JB mentioned, as well as representing Team DotCom, Cleveland/Srixon, and The Hackers Paradise in the best manner possible next week down in SC.

Last edited:
I've watched the MC since its inception and each year longed to be part of it, this year I was fortunate enough to be, its something I treasure even through the ups and downs and everything in between.

I won't be long winded, I'll be simple. Thank you JB and GG, you're not just awesome, you're awesome family. Thank you THP, you are only going to continue to get bigger and better, oh my the future is a special one with you.

Absolutely wonderful post Nate.

Reading Josh's posts and the wonderful posts by my fellow THPers are making me choke up a bit...the feeling is certainly a mixture of pride, honor, gratefulness, and a little melancholy. I'm honored to be a part of what is to be the last Morgan Cup, a one-of-a-kind event that will never be duplicated. I remember the sinking feeling I got when I thought my chances at an event like this were over after last year, only to be surprised at its return (and infinitely more surprised at my selection). This time I do feel like this the end of the Morgan Cup era here on THP.

The difference this time around, for me, is #FranchiseRewritten. The King. The Grandaddy. The Invitational Series. Love Is In The Air. SeeMore. #OwnTheSecondShot. #PersonalDistance. THPers have played some of the greatest courses armed with not only the knowledge of a sponsoring company representative, but the collective expertise of my family here. We've had drinks together, we've shared our greatest achievements as well as our darkest moments. To any THPer disappointed that they don't get a chance to be a part of this iconic event, I completely understand...however do not despair for long, as I have zero doubt in my mind that there are big things coming in the future. It's just how Josh and Morgan operate...they don't take side steps. They definitely don't take steps backward...they are never stagnant.

THP has truly been as many have said, a second family to me. You all supported me the instant I decided to "come out" to the community. You've answered countless numbers of questions ranging from golf gear to life in general. You were there for me to vent when I was down and share in my excitement when I felt joy. THP has changed my life and the lives of so many men and women who have been touched by this place, and I thank each and every one of you for it. Thank you to our incredible sponsors, and thanks to Josh and Morgan for always dreaming big for us regular guys and gals.

So as next weekend will be our collective goodbye to #THPMC, every moment will be doubly embraced. You all have been engulfed in this wonderful journey and have done this place proud in 39 unique ways...I know we're going to put on one heck of a show.

It's up to the 40 of us to make sure this event is honored with every ounce ability we can give it. I for one am honored to be a part of it and I will make sure I do everything to make it legendary.

Well said partner!

Catching up on the thread & reading JB's post has me excited to get this event kicked off. Like many have said we knew the post was coming, just didn't know when.

It's bitter sweet to be honest. I'm extremely grateful that I will be involved with the final edition as a volunteer, but the competitor in me wishes I could have another shot at being selected & experience the highs & lows of team competition.

At the end of the day I realize one thing, THP is constantly evolving & the captains of this ship have us going in a better direction. I have no doubt the future events will stand on their own & we will always have the MC as the foundation and measuring stick all other events strive to become.

Last edited:
I'm saddened that this will be the last, but extremely proud to have been a part of this event. What started off as really just throwing my hat in the ring in a whim has turned into something I'll never forget.

There have been plenty of ups and downs. I've seen the good, the bad and the amazing during this journey. I can't wait until I get into town next Wednesday night and begin the celebration of the end of an era.

This is my first THP event and I don't think is have it any other way. I don't plan on it being my last either. There are too many amazing people here. Plus, Josh and Morgan are top class individuals.

My fraternity had a very short, two word phrase that told anyone how we felt about our brotherhood. "Damn Proud!" And that about sums up how I feel when I think about this event and this brother/sisterhood.

There are plenty of cliches and sayings could be used here.....the sun must set before it can rise...every new beginning comes from some other beginnings end (you're all welcome for me putting that song in your head)...but, my favorite comes from Dr. Seuss, "Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." I can tell you all that I'll be doing nothing but smiling ear to ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw the "End of an Era" post earlier during a busy day and then had a dentist appointment of all things, so I've had a good deal of time to reflect. There are so many things that have been said far better than I ever could have. In last years MC summary, I made a post about what I thought about the coverage and the event itself. I've searched for it, but cannot find it. In that post, I said "I must know". It was a reference to wanting to know what it would be like to compete in an event like this.

To now know that this will be the last one? Just wow! I WILL know, and I WILL make it count. Thank you JB, GG, volunteers and sponsoring OEM's for allowing ALL OF US to KNOW. We will do you proud as this chapter of THP closes so that we can turn the page and start on a new adventure, another chapter in this epic tome. The generosity, friendship and commadere experienced here is like no other and for that I am greatful. We are all better for the efforts others have made here at THP.

I love this place and appreciate all of you! Thanks for allowing me to be a part of it.

~John

Reading some of the responses to the news today, I know the gravity of the Morgan Cup not coming back has not set in for me. I do know this is something they have thought long and hard about. I am comforted by the fact that everything they do seems to get bigger and better. I am looking forward to what the coming years will bring but the Morgan Cup is has changed my life in such a profound way that it will surely be missed.

You guys have all said it well and far better than I ever could but I say from the heart that from my first experience with The Morgan Cup in 2012 I was hooked, it was incredible watching everyone walk around with the MC buzz, strangers were looking at the players with their staff bags lined up like they were stars or something and it was incredible to be a small part of it back then. Looking forward to next week and knowing now what I suspected was coming makes me appreciate this all the more, and honestly I wish there was something I could do to keep it going forever, but I know that is just impossible and selfish.

Morgan and Josh have provided the fulfillment of dreams for a lot of members here with this event and even though some may not be here anymore, I'm sure deep down inside most of them feel a good bit of gratitude for being a part of it, age is a great equalizer and it's amazing how memories and egos get broken down as it comes, life becomes too delicate for resentment.

I know this is the beginning of a new chapter in THP, the year is half way over, we're already discussing locations for 2015, vying for spots in new competitions, and the Bridgestone Championship is on it's way, we've been blessed with much this year and I am forever grateful to have been given this opportunity as a player.

Thank you Morgan and Josh, As I age My clubs will rust, My swing will go away, but the memories of The Morgan Cup will last forever.

TB

Sad to see this will be the last MC but excited to see what the future holds.

The people that are apart of this are extremely lucky to be a part of such an amazing event. I can't wait to follow along and root everyone on.

Well what can I say that no one hasn't already said. I am first really happy that I was lucky enough to get picked by THP and CLEVELAND/SRIXON in the #THPMC but I am also sadden that some of the great THPer's that I have met this year and on THP won't be able to have a chance now. I think we all kinda seen it coming but hey you never know what will happen around here. I mean think of all the positive things that are still with THP, EVERYTHING!!! All kinds of events and contest that you can still have a hell of a time and experience being a golfer. I know I will go down to Myrtle Beach with a big smile on my face and bring everything I got to make this one hell of a Morgan Cup that NO ONE will ever forget. "And no that doesn't mean I am going to spread Coersritis around LOL" It means I am going to leave nothing out on the course and I will be proud of everything I will do there. It's almost here guys and get ready because it's going to be a amazing time!!!!

Knowing that this will be the last Morgan Cup makes me feel a little guilty having one of the last cherished spots when so many others never got in.

I can't imagine the amount of work that goes into putting on an event of this magnitude, but I am very grateful to Josh, Morgan, and all of the THP staff for what they do.

Great, great post JN. I'm slightly bummed that the MC is ending but I have no doubt that minds are at work on new and dare I say better events. For those craving team events, Jersey Nate reminds us that there is #TheGauntlet, #TheGrandady - DOS, #theking2. For me the team bonding that I've seen between the 2 prior Morgan Cup iterations and this current and last one, are what have fueled my desire to be a member of the MC one day. I wont get to see that dream fulfilled but I'm going to make sure to enjoy watching this last one play out. Emotions are sure to be even higher on Sunday and I can't wait to watch the coverage once its released after the event.

Thank you JB and Morgan for your creativity and endless hard work. To the 40 MC participants and the volunteers that will be working. Enjoy! We'll all be watching!

While the news of this being the final MC is sad, there has been so much excitement and happiness this event has brought to the forum both in the event and watching from afar. The event may end, but the memories will not. Josh and Morgan will never settle for anything less than what was there before, so 2015 and even 2016 will likely have events that will leave the forum in awe.

To the 39.5 other MC'ers (Petey only has half his working arms and all) let's embrace this moment. Never ever take for granted the position we have been so fortunate to be in. Come Sunday afternoon, no matter the scores, we're all winners.

Now let's go out there and rock the hell out of this event like the champions we are.

Back