The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Practiced at the range today with Maddog for about 3 hours or so. Really good range session and everything is starting to really peak. All aspects of my game are looking very very strong!

We got out the course yesterday for some on course practice as well. Hit some shots I don't typically see just to get a feel for them. Played some alternate shot for a few holes and we were both looking great!

yza5emy8.jpg

a7e2usas.jpg

ysagatej.jpg

zevymegy.jpg

ary2u9um.jpg

nice to be able to throw some darts out on the course with six4three5 ! he is starting to real get his game on track !

They're going to have to bring in a pallet of sod to make that right!

Nah just some topdress and seed. It's bermuda, it grows back in about 14 days.

More short game work today. Extremely excited about what I'm working on with my putting and chipping, especially putting. Those two have been costing me probably 5 strokes a round the last couple rounds. If what I'm doing translates to the course I could be gaining those back.

Went to the park with two Birdieballs and lost them both thanks to our council not cutting the grass and the park being an overgrown mess of tall wiry grass. It swallowed those things whole :angry:

Had a great day today after taking yesterday off. Hands were beat up and I managed to bust my cyst last week amidst the 126 holes I played, was good to have a practice day where the hands didn't hurt. Especially with next week looming.

Full range session with the long, mid, and short irons. Didn't really hit many woods/hybrids today, that'll come later this week. Lots of wedges from 50 to 100 yards though, need to sharpen that area.

Short game, lots of putting with the X3, LOTS of chipping/pitching too. I'm pretty confident in my short game right now, the key is just not decel-ing.

Played 9 walking with no score tracking, just trying to hit some solid shots and actually dropped about 25 balls in traps to get some more work into greens there.

Good day, put a smile on my face.

Got to the range after work and the gym. For about 2 hours on the range continued to focus on the swing changes. Tonight was the first night that I felt myself really extend towards the target and my right hand is starting to control the swing. Was really liking the ball flight tonight of a baby draw and while my contact wasn't perfect - any misses were good misses.

Long way to go with the changes, but tonight was very encouraging.

Afterwards I hit the putting green for about 30 minutes and the z3c and I are getting along really nice. Finished the night off by draining three consecutive 30 footers.

Last edited:
Unexpected delay in my flight home gave me another day on the range. Took advantage of it in a serious way. Got sloppy with things and couldn't self diagnose. A younger student called me out and said the upper body was getting quick. Practice swing or two, back to flushing it for the next 3 buckets till it got dark.

Thanks little random dude!

Final lesson of the journey this evening. Pretty relaxed session. He took a look at the iron swing and was happy, so we looked at the clubs I struggle most with after that. Gave me some tips on drills to work on this week for them and then I hit drivers for awhile. Good times. Sort of sad to know that's the last one - most likely for the year. I've really enjoyed the last 7 months working with him.

I started with putting and chipping practice, which went really well. I continue to be happy with the flatstick. That was the good. Unfortunately the range session that followed was highly unsatisfactory and pretty frustrating.

I had a good range session this morning where I was just working on swing tempo and taking the same tempo from club to club through the irons and then trying to have that same tempo on the FW metals. My tendency has always been to swing harder (over swing) with FWs and Hybrids. Results were encouraging. Followed up with 18 holes where I shot 39, 39 78. I felt like I could have scored a little better, but was satisfied with the consistency of my swing all day. I've got another lesson scheduled for tomorrow afternoon.

I had a horrible wood fitting last week at the Taylormade lab and couldn't hit anywhere on the driver face but the heel. The fitter made the comment that I was casting. I switched instructors a few weeks ago and immediately learned how to hit a draw with my irons. However, I've been having trouble getting it down with my driver and woods. I've had 2 lessons with the new guy were I used the driver before the fitting and had some decent shots, but wasn't consistent with the changes by the time of the fitting.

So I had a lesson today and shared with my instructor what happened. He called BS on me casting right away and filmed a few poor, heel struck shots. It turns out that I was starting out with the heel grounded behind the center of the ball which was incredibly obvious on the down the line view from the camera (but not obvious to me standing over the ball). I got that fixed and then had to just fine tune the ball position and tee height to hit a draw.

We didn't have flight scope out on the range today so I couldn't say how far I was hitting, but they were nice draws that were starting right of my target line and drawing back roughly 10 yards. The balls were landing on the hill marked as 284 from a central point on the range and I was 20-30 yards closer (out on the edge of an arc shaped range). But if I was hitting draws in the direction I wanted 250 yards in the air that would make me happy - especially if I can repeat that next time I go to the range.

Had a great lesson today. Although my shots have been pretty well controlled, I have really been suffering from a lack of power. I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what. I knew the likely cause was an early release, but it didn't feel like I was releasing early.

Well, a session with the pro changed that thought. On video, it was easy to see that not only was my shaft not leaning forward at contact, but it was almost vertical and at times, even backwards. Thus, I was turning my 7-iron into a pitching wedge.

We worked on getting the hands out towards the left knee at contact, and as you would expect, I started hitting a much more penetrating ball flight and most of my distance returned.

Had a great lesson today. Although my shots have been pretty well controlled, I have really been suffering from a lack of power. I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what. I knew the likely cause was an early release, but it didn't feel like I was releasing early.

Well, a session with the pro changed that thought. On video, it was easy to see that not only was my shaft not leaning forward at contact, but it was almost vertical and at times, even backwards. Thus, I was turning my 7-iron into a pitching wedge.

We worked on getting the hands out towards the left knee at contact, and as you would expect, I started hitting a much more penetrating ball flight and most of my distance returned.

Wade, are you still using the WIG swing for your game, or are you working with a local pro on something different? Just curious...

Wrapped up my last lesson before the MC over lunch. Worked on the short game and the wedge shots 20-60 yards out. Was a lot of help and reinforced what I should be doing on each shot. More confident now in those shots than I was 5 months ago. Can't wait to test them out on those lush green fairways of True Blue and Caledonia next week. One more round of golf on Saturday and one last range session on Sunday and then I'm out!

Have only two practice sessions left prior to departing to the MC. Tonight's session takes place in Manhattan at a laser scoped range. Hey when in the city find the best placed to hit some balls.

Had an impromptu session today as our system was down at work. Worked primarily on my wedge game and mid irons. Really happy with the ball flight and the fact I didn't hit a single one left of my target. Still pulling the occasional longer club but in getting closer to having those dialed in. I have time for a session tomorrow and a round Friday this week and I will be done with full swing work. Next week will just be wedge game and putting before heading to MB

Proud Member of #TeamParadise

Will be doing some putting work tonight at home it looks like. Came home to a day full of rain

Will be doing some putting work tonight at home it looks like. Came home to a day full of rain

Same here buddy, boo.

Same here buddy, boo.

Can't say my body is exactly depressed over it all. I might have a new toy to practice with... Not named a Giannini :(

More short game tuneup work today, just getting more reps in with the 52 and 56.

My game seems to be in a fragile state. Going home grabbing a couple things then head out to work on a couple things!

Enjoyed practicing over 9 holes. Working on iron accuracy. Definitely getting on the green more often from inside 150, and when I can get within 75 yards, I can definitely make some solid shots with the lofted wedges. Just had a nice, relaxing time playing. Eventually got caught up to and teamed up for the last 3 holes. Played them in +2 with 2 GIR's. Would like to get a bit closer, and obviously my putting needs some work, but my game feels better than it ever has, and just in time.

Good stuff Paladin, sounds like you're in a good mental state heading into next week dude. Absolutely can't wait to meet ya finally.

CJ, just be you, it's a game of ebb's and flows buddy.

Spent some time on the putting green on my way home. Not a ton of time but just want to get my feel on the greens back.

Nice 90 minutes at the range. Started out with an hour of chipping and putting. Funny how my expectations have changed. Before I was thankful balls were on the green still. Now I find myself mad when I'm 10 feet away or pin high but missed on direction. When I focus on following through I really excel.

Putting was ok. Caught myself peeking early and when I did it was a miss right 99% of the time. Something I need to work on as that's been a more recent issue than it has in the past.

Irons were blah. Just wasn't feeling it at all. Cheated a little and posted my weight on left foot more at address and of course made solid contact. It's cheating but something to fall back on when things aren't going my way.

Lesson tomorrow for irons and short game and range time friday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back