The Ultimate Golf Event Period - The 2014 Morgan Cup - #THPMC

The entire 14 clubs and the bag will be cleaned and put away in my home as a keepsake. Everytime i look at them they will remind me of the journey, the amazing weekend, and the wonderful people i met and created memories with

You are so money and you don't even know it!

You are a better man than I!

Ellie is sleeping right now so I finally had a chance to put the videos into Day 1 Round 1, Day 1 Round 2 and Day 2 Singles folders. Each folder has over 700 videos, this is going to take a while. But with all that, I want to say once again THANK YOU to the volunteers, you guys kicked butt! We have all of this coverage because of you.

The entire 14 clubs and the bag will be cleaned and put away in my home as a keepsake. Everytime i look at them they will remind me of the journey, the amazing weekend, and the wonderful people i met and created memories with

Will you be able to find it in the room with all of the other clubs you have?

I have a question for the other participants of something I found interesting during this journey.

Given the fact that the equipment aspect was changed so that we all received our bags on Friday morning, people took all sorts of different approaches leading up to the event based on their thoughts and financial abilities (all of which were completely within the rules of course). Some/most at least attended demo days to get a feel for the clubs, most folks obtained the best/most specific fitting they could find, and some folks bought duplicates of part or most of their equipment months in advance. Obviously, the Cleveland/Srixon guys were in a whole other boat.

Is there anything in this part of the journey that you would have done differently in hindsight?

Answering my own question, the Demo Days and Fitting really allowed me to submit a confident order. While it was hard at times to resist all the shiny new toys in the golf store, I managed to do so (not that I had the money to do so anyway), and it made Staff Sponsor Day feel even more like Christmas, as these were items I had been wanting desperately for six months. Particularly since I had obtained a great fitting I was very confident in, I didn't feel like transitioning into the clubs Friday through Sunday made any difference (except for the positive) in my matches.

No sir. I was completely comfortable in that regard. There were a couple clubs that I wish were different than they were, but there also was a pretty static set of parameters there, so I just dealt with that.

Is there anything in this part of the journey that you would have done differently in hindsight?

The only regret I had was going with the set SW and a 54* MB wedge. Although it didn't hurt me, I would have liked to have a 2H in place of the set SW.

All in all, I was lucky to spend time with the driver, 7i, wedges, and putter in advance of the event so the transition was truly seamless for me.

Donne, I loved being able to share in the experience of hitting our brand new clubs as a group. Staff Sponsor Day was amazing because it just made the entire event kick off with an amazing with 40 guys simultaneously owning and unwrapping and gawking. Loved it.

I would have used a TM insert putter more in practice. The ball came off the face faster than I was used to and I was powering it through subtle breaks. That one backfired on me slightly

I would have done my fitting earlier. I wanted to wait until I knew what kind of options I had before I went in for my fitting. Once we found out what was available we only had 10 days to get our order in. I wasn't able to schedule the TMPL fitting I wanted in that timeframe, so in hindsight I shouldn't have waited so long.

I have a question for the other participants of something I found interesting during this journey.

Given the fact that the equipment aspect was changed so that we all received our bags on Friday morning, people took all sorts of different approaches leading up to the event based on their thoughts and financial abilities (all of which were completely within the rules of course). Some/most at least attended demo days to get a feel for the clubs, most folks obtained the best/most specific fitting they could find, and some folks bought duplicates of part or most of their equipment months in advance. Obviously, the Cleveland/Srixon guys were in a whole other boat.

Answering my own question, the Demo Days and Fitting really allowed me to submit a confident order. While it was hard at times to resist all the shiny new toys in the golf store, I managed to do so (not that I had the money to do so anyway), and it made Staff Sponsor Day feel even more like Christmas, as these were items I had been wanting desperately for six months. Particularly since I had obtained a great fitting I was very confident in, I didn't feel like transitioning into the clubs Friday through Sunday made any difference (except for the positive) in my matches.

I can honestly say that I wouldnt have changed anything. Hawk asked me to do something from day one and that was work on my wedge game and short game. Those parts of my game went from my weakest to my strongest and it showed up in Myrtle. I played the BB before the MC so it wasnt a change for me at the MC. I felt like I played some of my best golf on Saturday so I came away very pleased.

I should have taken a longer look at the baffler line. I likely would not have changed a thing however.

I would not have changed a thing. I was fortunate enough to play with 90% of my gear before I headed down to Myrtle. It didnt hurt that I was going from Rocketbladez to the Bio Cells which are IMO pretty similiar.

I wouldn't have changed anything, which is strange for me when it comes to equipment.

I wouldn't have changed anything, which is strange for me when it comes to equipment.

To sum it up......what you're saying is.....

#NoRagrets

To sum it up......what you're saying is.....

#NoRagrets

Not even a letter.

Well, maybe I would have tried to get them to give me a ladies 6 hybrid head. Love these damn hybrids.

In response to Donne.
I wish I had hit more balls at the range Friday. I was banking on that 9 hole round to see how things were and that backfired

Donne,

The only club that I duplicated was my putter, I knew I wanted to spend time with it before the cup. I just happened to have a partner in Kang who apparently had every offering from Callaway this year and he sent me the irons, the driver and hybrid and wedges so that I could work with them. If that hadn't of happened, I would have been perfectly content getting my stuff at the event. There were still tons of surprises that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Good question Donne. I wouldn't have changed anything I did leading up to the event or while I was there at the event. I wanted to use the 9 holes on Friday afternoon to get a good feel for distances and see how everyone else was doing with them but that didn't work out due to weather. I can't change that. The first time I hit my driver and 3 wood was the morning of the Saturday matches. That's pretty crazy to even think but again, couldn't change that.

I was one of the lucky ones in that I basically had the same clubs that I was gaming in the MC.

My only "regret" (and it's not really one) is that I wasn't able to do the driver/wood fitting at Annika's place this summer. The experience alone would have been phenomenal, but I also would have liked to explore Callaway's shaft catalog a little bit.

With that said, the Alpha/Tour Green is a winning combination for me.

Best advice that I received concerning the club selection was from the Hawkster. While I gamed a Versa regularly, I really contemplated getting a Tank Versa 2-ball for the MC. "Shiny and new" were really pulling me in that direction.

Hawk basically told me what I needed to hear -- while new clubs are cool, I'm a pretty darn good putter with my Versa, and it is an advantage to be able to use my current putter in the MC. He was absolutely correct.

Good question Donne. I wouldn't have changed anything I did leading up to the event or while I was there at the event. I wanted to use the 9 holes on Friday afternoon to get a good feel for distances and see how everyone else was doing with them but that didn't work out due to weather. I can't change that. The first time I hit my driver and 3 wood was the morning of the Saturday matches. That's pretty crazy to even think but again, couldn't change that.

[Nate hits a pretty fade right down the middle]

"First time with that driver?"

"Yep"

[Nate sticks it to 10']

"First time with that club, too."

"Yep"

I'll also add on the Versa thought above...

It was pretty funny to get some grief from # about not gaming a Tank Cruiser. Seemingly every Callaway staffer had one that weekend. (In reality, 5 of 8). The picture with all of us lined up with our putters really looked like it was seven cruiser and one Versa. Pretty neat.

Ultimately, though, having a putter that I could depend on was key.

It was pretty funny to get some grief from # about not gaming a Tank Cruiser. Seemingly every Callaway staffer had one that weekend. (In reality, 5 of 8). The picture with all of us lined up with our putters really looked like it was seven cruiser and one Versa. Pretty neat.

I agree. Putter was the only club I ended up essentially pre-playing. I already had the WHP #2 CS and when I did my fitting, they put me in a WHP #2 heel shaft. It did help to have a shape and a feel I was familiar with for sure.

AdamW and Jeremiah wish you'd gone with the tank, right guys??

I had driver, 4w, 4h, 5i, 6i, 54*, 58*, and putter in the bag leading up to the event so wasn't much of a transition. Did switch grips and shafts, but wouldn't change a thing about the lead up as I felt extremely confident when I got the new clubs.

AdamW and Jeremiah wish you'd gone with the tank, right guys??

I'm convinced I could have snapped all the heads off of his clubs Saturday afternoon and it wouldn't have made a difference. 5w from 230 and I quote Seth, "Don't worry, I've got this." 230 yards later and 10' from the hole.....I think it's safe to say he did have it.

I wouldn't have changed a thing....well....maybe I would have actually tried out the Bio Cell + driver a little more before this weekend. Everything Cobra out performed my expectations. I still can't get over it. I do wish I would have gone with my original putter selection, but that's about it.

One of the things that made this event exciting for me was the anticipation of getting the clubs, hitting them on the range for really the first time and then taking them to the course. Of course I had hit them in simulators and LMs, but it's not the same. The feeling of that first shot off the face of my 7 iron was beyond explanation. Follow that with the driver, 3w and hybrid and I was happier than a pig in slop. I think the rest of Team Hackers was pretty confident I would adjust quickly considering that I go through clubs at an alarming rate.

To summarize, not playing the other 13 clubs in my bag really added to the uniqueness of this event for me.

No way. Once the tour rep said it was an open catalog for Callaway staffers, I feel like there was justification to try and go above and beyond a regular fitting and take advantage of a place where all those options would be available. I think it really allowed Callaway to show off their high quality performance centers.

Once I knew what I was fitted for, if occasionally borrow the X2Hot driver and/or fairway woods that were part of my home course's rental bags and take them for a round, which really confirmed my confidence in what I would be playing in the event.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Back