5 - 10 - 15 Challenge

Sitting in an office is killer, joining a gym and going right after work is definitely something that I recommend. I love it when my schedule allows me to go straight to the gym from here, unfortunately that doesn't happen all that often, but that's why I have equipment at home I guess. I still prefer immediately going to the gym though, sometimes getting home and getting comfy is a bad thing when there is still a workout to be done!

You just laid out all the reasons I get my tail end out of bed an hour earlier and go before I go to the office. I'm with you, I'd rather go after BUT I have learned from myself that I will find 100 excuses during the day to avoid it. If I go when I'm not awake, I have no reason not to walk in the gym once I get there (and I'm awake anyways by then).

Hmm looking down at my gut today while I'm sitting here at work... something needs to be done.
Going from 8hrs of running around while working at a summer camp, to sitting on my butt for 8hrs a day in an office just doesn't do well for my body.

I think it's time to join a gym and maybe get a trainer.
Does anyone have any tips for what I should look for in a gym? Also prices... what do they range from?

RF -- I would suppose it all depends on what you are looking for in a gym . Our gym has all the weight equipment and cardio stuff we need. It has classes fory body buidling, yoga, and arobics etc. It does not have a spa or massage option available. We live in a small country town so it's less that $500.00 per year for KellyBo and myself to be members. I am sure it ranges all up and down the scale depending on where you live, what you are looking for & the local economy etc. It's great news to see you getting motivated to make some healthy changes in your life.

I had me a bowl of oatmeal this morning along with a small glass of orange juice so I am ready to head to the gym. I am going to hit the weights pretty hard today with light cardio. I need to build some stamia and strength up for my golf game. It gets tiring coming down the stretch when it's chilly and windy this time of year. The harder I work out the better my endurance will be when I most need it. It will also pay huge dividends when we go to PGA National in May and have those two a day golf rounds (36 holes). This young man needs some lasting power and it will take some dedication and hard work. Well it's time to head to the gym :thumb:. Ok I hope everyone is keeping their focus on the goal. Have a great Christmas week and Happy New Year!

Dr Phil has a good show on this a.m. about dieting this Holiday Season. Maybe you can catch this show in the p.m. It really has some good info and talks about some interesting tips and facts about how or how not a diet works for you.

So far, so good for me. I am dropping weight, but not as rapidly as I could because I am not on the strictest diet since it is the holiday season. I have lost about 5 lbs since I started. Only 15 more to go!

Went to the doc yesterday, dropped 6 pounds since my last visit 2 weeks ago

Went to the doc yesterday, dropped 6 pounds since my last visit 2 weeks ago

Great job! I'm sure the doc was happy to see that, keep it up!

+1000 on the weight loss Ron! Great job buddy and I am proud of ya. Keep up the good work. No doubt it is a killer time of the year to lose weight and there are folks that will succumb to the Christmas goodies, cakes, pies, candy, yada dada doo. The main thing is not to let the bad habits creep back in and stay. That's where we got to hang tough together and overcome it. Good luck brother and keep plodding ahead. :clapp:

Last edited:
Hmm looking down at my gut today while I'm sitting here at work... something needs to be done.
Going from 8hrs of running around while working at a summer camp, to sitting on my butt for 8hrs a day in an office just doesn't do well for my body.

I think it's time to join a gym and maybe get a trainer.
Does anyone have any tips for what I should look for in a gym? Also prices... what do they range from?

It just depends on what you are looking for in a gym. If you just want the basic cardio machines and weights than you can generally find some places that can be as low as $10/month depending on where you life. In Tampa I belonged to a place called Snap Fitness and it was a smaller place but it had the essentials, was open 24hrs and was only $10/month and they waived the initiation fee. Some of the bigger places like the YMCA, Bally's, Lifestyles, and Gold's Gym have more options in regards to classes, more machines, pools (sometimes), massage options and even tanning but those are going to run you more money probably $30-$50/month, again depending on your area. Then there are gyms that are strictly personal training gyms and those can get really costly. And then if you get a trainer, around here at least, the going rate seems to be $40-$60/session or you can do a package at a discounted rate. Lots of places seem to be offering deals for sign up so I am sure you can find a place that is right for you.

Sitting in an office is killer, joining a gym and going right after work is definitely something that I recommend. I love it when my schedule allows me to go straight to the gym from here, unfortunately that doesn't happen all that often, but that's why I have equipment at home I guess. I still prefer immediately going to the gym though, sometimes getting home and getting comfy is a bad thing when there is still a workout to be done!

You just laid out all the reasons I get my tail end out of bed an hour earlier and go before I go to the office. I'm with you, I'd rather go after BUT I have learned from myself that I will find 100 excuses during the day to avoid it. If I go when I'm not awake, I have no reason not to walk in the gym once I get there (and I'm awake anyways by then).

I am with Mary I have to work out in the morning. If I try to work out after work I will find a million reasons why I can't go. When I was doing Crossfit, which I loved, I would get up at 5am to do that and then come home and do my regular morning routine before I went to work. But if you do go after work I agree with P4B definitely go straight there. Going home first will almost guarantee you that you won't leave.

Well I got to get the trash to the dump, get my butt to the gym, & then have some fun at the golf course. Hard days work but somebodys got to do it :thumb:

Well I got to get the trash to the dump, get my butt to the gym, & then have some fun at the golf course. Hard days work but somebodys got to do it :thumb:

Sounds like you are working hard. :smile:

I have been busting my butt at the gym all week and I am very sore, but it feels great! I have lost 2 pounds which is more than I expected because I know I am gaining muscles. My ab muscles are fighting for dear life to make an appareance and so far doing a pretty good job of it. I finally graduated to running on the treadmill and was able to run for 45 minutes yesterday before meeting up with my trainer. It kicked my butt but in a good way. I need to get into the gym today but I am so sore so I think I am going to wait a few hours and then see how I feel.

All bets are off with me for the next couple of days. I have managed to drop some weight, but that was just in preparation for the eating that I am going to do over the next 2.5 days. As long as I get to 164 by PGA National, I will be satisfied.

Sounds like you are working hard. :smile:

I have been busting my butt at the gym all week and I am very sore, but it feels great! I have lost 2 pounds which is more than I expected because I know I am gaining muscles. My ab muscles are fighting for dear life to make an appareance and so far doing a pretty good job of it. I finally graduated to running on the treadmill and was able to run for 45 minutes yesterday before meeting up with my trainer. It kicked my butt but in a good way. I need to get into the gym today but I am so sore so I think I am going to wait a few hours and then see how I feel.

Great job GG! You are a real trooper and I am very proud of you. Keep up the good work and what you are doing is an inspiration to all of us. Have a HAPPY Holiday and a super duper New Year's!

All bets are off with me for the next couple of days. I have managed to drop some weight, but that was just in preparation for the eating that I am going to do over the next 2.5 days. As long as I get to 164 by PGA National, I will be satisfied.

Setho -- It does not matter how you are going to reach your goal, but that you are going to reach your goal. It's good to see you have not given up on your commitment and will plod forward and kick some calories square in the booty :thumb:

Setho -- It does not matter how you are going to reach your goal, but that you are going to reach your goal. It's good to see you have not given up on your commitment and will plod forward and kick some calories square in the booty :thumb:

Thanks Ole Gray. This is a yearly tradition for me. I usually only have to lose about 10 lbs, but this year has been a bit fatter for me.

We were all crazy to try and get in shape right at the peak of the best eating time of the year! I had a huge splurge yesterday. We went to local Italian restaurant that we love and we each had a bowl of chili as an app, plus the bread they put on the table and then I ordered penne and meat sauce. I only ate one piece of the bread and I ordered wheat penne instead of white. In my mind that helped some but who am I kidding it was a very bad for me dish but it tasted so good. Their desserts are AMAZING but I was able to say no. For me that was the hardest part and the part that I was most proud of myself for. Last time I got two desserts because I couldn't decide and each dessert is big enough for 2 and I ate all of it. Baby steps I guess haha.

We were all crazy to try and get in shape right at the peak of the best eating time of the year! I had a huge splurge yesterday. We went to local Italian restaurant that we love and we each had a bowl of chili as an app, plus the bread they put on the table and then I ordered penne and meat sauce. I only ate one piece of the bread and I ordered wheat penne instead of white. In my mind that helped some but who am I kidding it was a very bad for me dish but it tasted so good. Their desserts are AMAZING but I was able to say no. For me that was the hardest part and the part that I was most proud of myself for. Last time I got two desserts because I couldn't decide and each dessert is big enough for 2 and I ate all of it. Baby steps I guess haha.

We have a Mennonite restaraunt with the best deserts ever (EVER!). I could not decide between the peanut butter chocolate cheese cake or some other strawberry desert, so I ordered both and ate both. That was probably two days worth of calories if I am only eating 1200 per day, but man alive were they delicious!

When I was going through a weight loss program at UCLA the Clinical Psycologist who lead our discussion group would always tell us, "over eating is expected and inevitable" and should not be worried about to a great extent. Basically look at your weight work as a marathon versus a sprint. If you wanna have the pie one day, then have it but the next day get back on the plan and keep going. It is the ones who contatantly deny themselves that will initially bing eat then just go nuts.

Pandute measured my waist this morning and I lost another inch! Another Festivus miracle. I ate 3 homemade desserts last night at a party.:D

I'm having baked fish and steamed veggies for lunch. I didn't do too well on my trip to Augusta yesterday but I'm right back on track today. Going to the gym today for first time in about 3 days. I'm still hoping to reach my goal of 5 lbs by 12/31.

This whole cutting down on rice part of my diet is driving me insane. For an Asian that is equivalent to almost slitting your wrists. I know it's mostly mental so I just have to forge ahead.

When I was going through a weight loss program at UCLA the Clinical Psycologist who lead our discussion group would always tell us, "over eating is expected and inevitable" and should not be worried about to a great extent. Basically look at your weight work as a marathon versus a sprint. If you wanna have the pie one day, then have it but the next day get back on the plan and keep going. It is the ones who contatantly deny themselves that will initially bing eat then just go nuts.

I think most of us will fall off the wagon a bit and that is to be expected. I am hoping that by keeping our eye on the finish line, we will eat less than we would have.

I think most of us will fall off the wagon a bit and that is to be expected. I am hoping that by keeping our eye on the finish line, we will eat less than we would have.

Absolutely Gray and if you do it is not a bad thing, that was my point. Some get so wrapped up in "diets" that any little diversion off the path and they think it spells certain doom. I am saying keep things in focus, look at the larger picture and work smart and you will achieve the goals you want.

Been REALLY active the past two days. Everything hurts... Especially my quads and arms.

I'm having baked fish and steamed veggies for lunch. I didn't do too well on my trip to Augusta yesterday but I'm right back on track today. Going to the gym today for first time in about 3 days. I'm still hoping to reach my goal of 5 lbs by 12/31.
Baked fish and steamed veggies? Ick. More power to you KB!

Back