TaylorMade Burner Bubble Driver - Throwback Thursday

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Each Thursday we do a little blast from the past and have some fun with it. In this installment, we thought we would showcase the latest and the greatest from TaylorMade in the year of 1995.

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=11602

that thing sure could use some sort of alignment aid, lol

One of the only TM Drivers I did not buy of years past , but all my friends had them , and loved them .

• Admin
I love the ads down at the bottom. If you blow them up, you can read them in their entirety. They read just like an ad from today.

You just had to throw in the jab with the SD Superbowl...

I remember this driver well. I remember thinking how large the clubhead was, now it looks like a hybrid.

Wasn't this club or shaft deemed illegal?

A buddy of mine had the shaft broken on one of our golf trips and it was impossible and extremely expensive to get the shaft replaced.

• Admin
You just had to throw in the jab with the SD Superbowl...

I remember this driver well. I remember thinking how large the clubhead was, now it looks like a hybrid.

Wasn't this club or shaft deemed illegal?

A buddy of mine had the shaft broken on one of our golf trips and it was impossible and extremely expensive to get the shaft replaced.

One of the versions of this was deemed non-conforming. Not sure if it was this one or the Ti2.

The other issue with this is changing the grip. The shaft had a larger butt and a standard grip would not fit.

One of the versions of this was deemed non-conforming. Not sure if it was this one or the Ti2.

The other issue with this is changing the grip. The shaft had a larger butt and a standard grip would not fit.
I never had to change my grip, but I can see what you mean. Good memories here. I love this throwback series!

• Admin
I never had to change my grip, but I can see what you mean. Good memories here. I love this throwback series!

I too loved this driver. Do you remember how many knock offs there were of this club? With the exception of the Big Bertha, I think this was the most cloned club.

I too loved this driver. Do you remember how many knock offs there were of this club? With the exception of the Big Bertha, I think this was the most cloned club.
Everyone wanted that type of shaft, it was quite a craze and was knocked-off quite a bit.

If memory serves me right, that bubble design died out and I hadn't seen anything like it (the bubble) until those spinner shafts came out.

I had a knockoff... LOL. But I was just starting. I eventually got the real thing. Alternated between this and the Big Bertha (steel shaft cause I was real serious then too). It was such an easy club to swing. I always felt so confident with it.

I went through 3 knockoffs. I was a shanker when I missed.

I'm going to pick one of these up next time I see it. Just to hit a few more times and eventually place on the wall. This driver started my true golf addiction.

that driver is so sweet :p

i have a friend who still uses his some times when we are out on the course :p

Everyone wanted that type of shaft, it was quite a craze and was knocked-off quite a bit.

If memory serves me right, that bubble design died out and I hadn't seen anything like it (the bubble) until those spinner shafts came out.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the Spinners from True Temper. There really has not been anything else like it from my knowledge. I believe TM still owns the patent on it though. So ya never know.

I had a knockoff... LOL. But I was just starting. I eventually got the real thing. Alternated between this and the Big Bertha (steel shaft cause I was real serious then too). It was such an easy club to swing. I always felt so confident with it.

I went through 3 knockoffs. I was a shanker when I missed.

I'm going to pick one of these up next time I see it. Just to hit a few more times and eventually place on the wall. This driver started my true golf addiction.

I have been looking for one in new condition. Cant find them new anywhere. Even the one TM send for photos, had been hit.

Ill keep an eye out for sure JB. I'm off next week and may have to go hunting!

I haven't seen one in like new condition either. Probably a testament to how much people love hitting them. I still have the head from one for the knock offs I killed haha.

I had the 3wood and someone at the CC stole it =( I loved this thing!

Tĥese where the most sought after clubs when I started golfing, but being young we couldn't afford them, but the first set of clubs my dad bought me were the clones, the whole set. I still have the irons and woods, but not the driver. I wonder what they would play like now??

A guy that I played with made me look bad with this driver. He was at least 20-30 yards longer than me all day. Sweet looking stick and I loved the ads.

I still have one of the Bubble Burner Drivers.It is 10.5* like the one in the article and has the original TM headcover in great condition.My son sometimes carries it in his bag and has hit it a time or two in the last two years.It used to be a good driver for me.

I read the headline as I was just waking up and I thought it was today's Holiday Cheer prize...

My buddy I played with at the Vinoy brought this vintage set to Florida. I had only heard about them and this was the first time seeing. I was impressed with their design. He was dead on with these things and it just goes to show that 15 year old clubs can still "have it". He ha plaed with new sets before but he was hitting these better than those by far.

Great set of sticks.

I remember these well. Never had one, but knew several did. They were quite the thing in their day.

I mentioned these at the outing when I first saw the spinner shafts.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

These were the clubs my Dad gave me as hand me downs to learn to play with just a few years ago. Had the 9.5* driver, and the 3, 5, and 7 woods. Gave them back to him when I upgraded to my current set up. Love these clubs!!

Funny story - was playing at the LSU golf course (A horrible course btw, is a converted cow pasture) and I teed off using the 5 wood. A guy in the group waiting for us to tee off got all excited after I teed off, wanted to see my club.......he thought I was using an old persimmon driver because of the copper colored head of the wood and the sound it made when I hit it!

I still have this club and it is in decent condition. It still holds my personal record for longest drive.

The face on it is about half as tall as most of the drivers today. It is a great club.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I was thinking about this club just the other day. I was specifically thinking about what a technological advancement it was. Now it just looks kind of silly, compared to the technology we have now (kind of like the original iMacs)

i have the bubble shaft firesole 3 wood. that 3 wood was awesome in its day, i still game it from time to time.

I never had the Driver or Woods but I did have the irons (ladies), and still carry the SW from the set in my bag. I had all my clubs re-gripped this year and had only one option for it due to the shaft issues. Maybe Santa should bring me a new one??:confused2:

Back