Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Great review AHA! Very entertaining and well written. I may have missed it but what is your normal ball flight tendencies? Draw or fade or maybe a worker of the ball either way?

Great review AHA! I read as much of this thread as I could and I saw what lofts the mashie was availiable in for the testers, do we know if the 15.5* is going to be avaliable for lefties?

Great review AHA! I read as much of this thread as I could and I saw what lofts the mashie was availiable in for the testers, do we know if the 15.5* is going to be avaliable for lefties?

i don't believe that it is cool. i could be wrong, but i'm sure in one of kellybo's posts that it was not.

According to the brochure I have only 18*, 20.5* 23* are available left-handed.

i don't believe that it is cool. i could be wrong, but i'm sure in one of kellybo's posts that it was not.

Thanks for the reply TC, but DARN IT! I'm looking for a 3 wood replacement and thought the mashie 15.5* would be it. Maybe if I say pretty please?

According to the brochure I have only 18*, 20.5* 23* are available left-handed.

Thanks KellyBo. I still love ya Cleveland.

Great review AHA! Very entertaining and well written. I may have missed it but what is your normal ball flight tendencies? Draw or fade or maybe a worker of the ball either way?

Thanks Ole Gray. I like to work the ball, but my normal ball flight is a draw.

What is leading me to believe that I may prefer the x-stiff shaft is that my miss with the Mashie has become a hook which may, in part, be to a shaft that is not quite stiff enough for me.

Thanks for the reply TC, but DARN IT! I'm looking for a 3 wood replacement and thought the mashie 15.5* would be it. Maybe if I say pretty please?

maybe you should try their ultralite fairway woods when they come out. they come w/ a stock miyazaki. i saw plenty of folks hit them at the outing and they loved them

What is leading me to believe that I may prefer the x-stiff shaft is that my miss with the Mashie has become a hook which may, in part, be to a shaft that is not quite stiff enough for me.

interesting. i can see where you are coming from. i play the xstiff in my driver and 3w but my normal miss is a fade. i'm hoping that the mashie is gonna be a dead straight rocket launcher for me. i wouldn't mind having a miss that's a hook, that's for sure.

maybe you should try their ultralite fairway woods when they come out. they come w/ a stock miyazaki. i saw plenty of folks hit them at the outing and they loved them

I will give them a try for sure, I just feel like a swing hybrids much better than 3/5 woods.

Thanks buddy. I was curious about the ball flight dispersion averages. With you being more of a right to left kind of guy, I presume a stiffer shaft might be the answer.

interesting. i can see where you are coming from. i play the xstiff in my driver and 3w but my normal miss is a fade. i'm hoping that the mashie is gonna be a dead straight rocket launcher for me. i wouldn't mind having a miss that's a hook, that's for sure.

Hooks are tough to control...ask Ben Hogan (if you could)...that's why he worked so hard to always hit a fade! In any event, I'm excited to try out the other shafts (especially the x-stiff) at the outing. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying this club!

Alright took the mashie out in the backyard today to hit(have a big open area to hit at), was to lazy to drive to the range and wanted to hit it before the rain got here.
I had about 50 range balls and went with 25 off the tee and 25 off the deck.

Off the tee- After a few errant shots was able to get dialed in again and this thing just threw darts for me, the flight im getting Is not as high as some of the other guys are describing but thats expected since mine is the 18*. Im seeing more of an in between mid and high ball flight, but its really penetrating. Its ridiculous of the penetrating flight im seeing, even when I hit a few higher than others it doesnt balloon just pierces threw the air. Its also very easy for me to hit those low screamer shots, put the ball back in my stance a little and about 10-15 feet off the ground it goes. Thats a very good sign for those windy days. Im not the best at fading/drawing on command but decided to try it out with a few balls, and man was I happy. No problem, I naturally hit a little baby draw with this so moved the ball up in my stance a little and there went a fade, moved it back and hit a big draw, I dont see why anyone that likes to work the ball would not be able to with this. I am seeing that my miss hit so far is a low hook, but its more user error than club. Will explain more on that below.

Off the deck- So far, this is were the club is shining the most for me. Im noticing im getting almost the same distance as I am off the tee with it. I love it off the deck, to me it has a little bit smaller head than what I used to have. It has a more compact look that is good for anything you throw at it. I was getting the exact same ball flight as I saw off the tee, that in between mid/high but really piercing flight. Moved it back in my stance and again got that low screamer for those windy days, just took off like a rocket exactly as I hoped for. I really like it off the deck so far.

I mentioned my miss was a low hook and it being a user error. What I mean by that is with the mashie it like a smooth-tempo swing and when I swing a little harder because im not quite used to the weight yet im hitting those low hook shots because im getting ahead of myself and closing the club face to early, as were a smooth temp swing is perfect for this club. Now dont get me wrong you can still go after one but im still adjusting to the weight so its throwing me off a little, but a nice smooth swing is all it takes and let the club do the work for you.

The feel is phenomenal, try to explain it best I can. During the swing I know exactly were the club face is the whole time, and when it connect its just a solid feel of greatness lol. The Miyazaki shaft lets you feel exactly were the ball hits the face, im willing to bet I could tell you 90-95% of the time were the ball hits because of the feel of both the club head and shaft. When you connect you get that solid feel of a good hit all the way up to your hands and you immediately know it was pure contact. Its kind of hard to explain, but it is hands down the best feeling club I have hit. The sound as most of us have said is more like an iron shot than a usual "ting,ping" of a hybrid/fairway wood sound. To me it sounds exactly like hitting a 4 iron perfectly with that crisp sound, but with this in every shot.

Im not 100% comfortable with it yet, but im seeing good distance out of it and expect that to continue as I get more comfortable.

Good stuff Bridges!

alright bridges! good stuff man. sounds like you just need more and more time w/ your mashie. that's usually the case, hence "long term" testing. it's nice to hear that you're able to flight the ball lower. i'm hoping i can get that out of this hybrid myself.

Good stuff Bridges!

You to man! Just got caught up on all the posts, You got me curious about maybe an x-stiff to cure that hook. But then again I think the x-stiff might be to much shaft for me.

alright bridges! good stuff man. sounds like you just need more and more time w/ your mashie. that's usually the case, hence "long term" testing. it's nice to hear that you're able to flight the ball lower. i'm hoping i can get that out of this hybrid myself.

Ya its taking me a little bit to get used to it, im not sure why since my r9s were light to. But its getting better and better each time out.

awwwww man you guys are making me all giddy now wanting to play the 15.5 * mashie! Good stuff Bridges :clapp:. I really prefer a low lofted hybrid club over the traditional 3 - wood. I bet the Mashie 15.5 is super sweet off the deck with good distance to boot. Sounds like :cleveland: has a crowd pleaser on it's hands :thumb:

Ya know I haven't even seen one of these in person yet, but I have the good folks at BLIND 9 reserving me one. I am officially banning myself from any other club purchases until that THP shindig is over.

Happy to do it Clam Fist. Also, any S. Cal peeps want to come over and hit the Mashie, our rep has one that he can loan us. Call the shop or PM me and I'll hook you up with some simulator time with the Mashie. OH! and of course, if you want a Mashie, let us know. We'll save one for you.

Great job so far guy's, I'm enjoying hearing how it fits into most everyones game. I kind of figured someone would have a problem with the smaller size head thats been mentioned, but so far so good.

Had a great date in the course with the Mashie. It was fantastic. Ill write up in few. My gf is sick so I have to handle some business lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about the GF yoccos!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Happy to do it Clam Fist. Also, any S. Cal peeps want to come over and hit the Mashie, our rep has one that he can loan us. Call the shop or PM me and I'll hook you up with some simulator time with the Mashie. OH! and of course, if you want a Mashie, let us know. We'll save one for you.

Why did I move?!?!?!? :banghead:I would so be up there this weekend. Regrets... regrets...:D

Sorry to hear about the GF yoccos!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Dont let him fool you, he likes that she cant talk haha

Man its raning a ton here. Was hoping to take the mashie out on the course tomorrow but looks like it will be more range time instead.

Back