Bushnell Laser & GPS Hybrid Review

Love the concept. I'll be interested in reviews on it. Though the price tag certainly puts it well out of reach for me. The next step is to have the two integrated such that a laser measurement drops the pin (hazard, etc.) on the gps map. How cool would that be?

That is a great idea. You should send Bushnell this suggestion.

edit: I was just visiting the Bushnell website and notice THP is linked on their press releases page. Way to go THP!

Last edited:
Does this unit have the slope feature also? I had thought that was the one feature that kept the laser units from being tournament eligible. I see this one is so i am guessing no slope cpapbilities.

Not all lasers have a slope capability. If one does, then you are correct that it can't be used for any official rounds, either tournament or handicap.

I already use both laser (Bushnell Tour V2) and GPS (GolfLogix GPS-8) on many of my rounds. Which I use for a given shot depends on the situation. There are rare times whien I use both to get pertinent information for a shot.

This would make a great prize the the THP outing... yes I am begging ;)

Either way, I would love to get my hands on one of these. It would be the ultimate device! Way to go Bushnell

I dont think the cost is excessive and the unit really looks interesting. Here's hoping they send one to THP for review, I would love some impartial feedback on it before buying one

I dont think the cost is excessive and the unit really looks interesting. Here's hoping they send one to THP for review, I would love some impartial feedback on it before buying one

I agree, I don't think the cost is excessive for the device... It's just too rich for my blood. Think champaign taste and tap water budget!

I love my Bushnell 1600 Laser and my SureShot GPS. I have to carry both on ocassion, so I can see the practcality of having one unit doing both. The $500 tag is a bit higher than I wold like, but you can certainly count on superior quality from Bushnell.

Wow, I just bought a 1600 with Slope for Christmas. I may need to take it back and wait for this one! I wish it was out now.

Haha wow. I actually thought about this before but I thought it would be stupid. Apparently not Bushnell! It looks like it could be useful, especially if it's a blind shot.

Haha wow. I actually thought about this before but I thought it would be stupid. Apparently not Bushnell! It looks like it could be useful, especially if it's a blind shot.

The blind shot is the BIG advantage, otherwise I would think people who use rangefinders would still prefer to use the rangefinder for their shots. JMHO

The blind shot is the BIG advantage, otherwise I would think people who use rangefinders would still prefer to use the rangefinder for their shots. JMHO

I use both. It really depends on the course and the shot. If you are behind trees for instance, you cant get a good measurement many times. Super flat land it is hard to get ideal distance to bunkers at times. And of course elevated greens. You can get a distance to a pin, but not always the rest of the front and back of green or where you can miss.

This is a great idea, and I can't wait to see it in action. I think this device was made for someone like me. I have never bought a GPS or a Rangefinder, because I think both are great and both have their benifits as well as shortcomings. This solves that problem. As far as the price goes, it is not too high a price if people are willing to pay it! It definitely is an awesome device and I am excited to see a review if possible.

This looks like a terrific product. I just wish it had a better price point.

I think this is a great idea and I would buy one if it wasn't so expensive. This will be a big hit I think,

I'll go on the CON side and say that this really isn't all that useful to me.

What separates GPS and Range finder to me is the newer "distance to any point" features found on OnPar, uPro, and most Iphone GPS apps. I don't think that a simple F,M,B yardage adds very much to what you can do with a range finder alone... where-as an aerial view of the hole and the distance to any point (visible or not) is very useful for course management, particularly when trying to layup to a certain yardage. How often are you playing a completely blind shot into a green? It doesn't happen very often for me.

I can tell you that I wouldn't buy a GPS that didn't provide aerial views, so I don't think I would buy a Laser Rangerfinder with a GPS that doesn't do aerial views either.

i agree with the doc, i love my SGX with all its bells and whistles -and ill occasionally pull out the laser for tight par 3's or something if i want to be 100%. But if the GPS doesnt have as many features i could see some belittling it.

Definitely an interesting product. Seeing as it is the first onto the market the price will be inflated for a little bit. Once there is some competition I can see the prices of these being brought back a bit.

1st post updated. DEFINITELY TAKE A LOOK!

That is awesome JB! I'm thinking I need one of these to help me track where I've hit it and how much I've got left. Really cool product!

Wow, it looks fantastic. How's the screen look when it's turned on?

Once I get outside, I will have some more pictures, but it is crystal clear just like the picture on the home page we put up.

This really looks cool. I like it alot.

Once I get outside, I will have some more pictures, but it is crystal clear just like the picture on the home page we put up.
Ok, missed that when I looked when you first put it up.

Being this the first generation of this product I see this growing into a more integrated GPS device with more features. Not a bad looking first stab at it.

Ok, missed that when I looked when you first put it up.

Being this the first generation of this product I see this growing into a more integrated GPS device with more features. Not a bad looking first stab at it.

One thing about the screen that I love is that you can change it from grayscale to green and black scale depending on the light.

It's a intruiging product, but I agree with some of the others...the price is a wee bit high for those of us on small budgets. Guess I'll find a free app and use my Iphone.

Back