Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Has anyone made any changes to the grip? I am sorry if someone else asked this......

I have not pulled the trigger on changing the grip yet becasue I want to give the stock grip a fair chance, but I'm still considering putting a a GP multicompound on this bad boy. I'll try to check the swingweight before and after and report any changes in feel as well. Like JB, I'm not a huge fan of the stock grip, but I've found it to be serviceable.

Last edited:
I didn't think we could change the grip as a tester. I don't mind mine right now, but I have not played with mine as much as JB. It is still in the new phase.

I didn't think we could change the grip as a tester. I don't mind mine right now, but I have not played with mine as much as JB. It is still in the new phase.

Looking forward to your thoughts after the round today.

Mashie Review 3- Course Review

Today was an odd day on the course. I went out and hit the range for a bit before a 10:30 tee time. I worked my way through my clubs and when the Mashie was up, it did a good job. I had a bit of a hook at first, but was able to work it out after a ball or two. It was really cold today and it snowed on the first two holes. The snow went away after that and it was very cold. The wind then went up to 30-mile gust through out the day from that point.

On the course the Mashie did okay. I say this because I dealt with the hook aspect of it all day. I think of the 6 times I hit it, 3 of those were hooks. The other times the shots were beautiful! I really do love the way this club hits the ball, but I need to stop trying to kill it. It is sort of odd. With my driver if I try to kill it I get a fade, with Mashie I get a hook. I just think I need some more range time with this club to get rid of this part of the club. I think every club that I get needs an adjustment period and I am still in it with the Mashie. I hope to get out to the range or course this week. They are calling for 6 to 12 inches of snow this week. Please let it not snow and melt away quickly if does this week.

Final thoughts of the day: I think this club is awesome when I hit it just right. When I try to kill it, it goes way left.

I am really looking forward to hitting this club, after reading all the reviews. Keep the great reviews coming guys!

Keep the write ups coming dmb, I agree with you about most clubs needing an adjustment period. Some need more time that others and some just never make the cut. That's the thing about changing clubs.

Like dmb, I was also lucky enough to play a round with the Mashie today. Unlike dmb, it didn't snow during my round. 70 and sunny in Naples today! :D

When I make a smooth pass with the Mashie, it flat out performs. If I'm even a bit quick, I'm hitting a hook. I wish I could make all my other hybrids and fairway woods sound like the Mashie at impact. I really love the sound (and feel) of this club. It was very windy where I played today and I did hit two shots with the Mashie that had a higher trajectory than I intended and they ballooned on me. I also hit two big hooks off the tee. By popular request, I also hit the Mashie out of a fairway bunker today. This is the best non-iron club I've ever hit out of a fairway bunker.

Still a bit inconsistent at times but I'm still working with the Mashie. More to come.

Almost forgot... I hit the Mashie for my second shot after a great drive on a par 5 today to less than a foot. Tap in eagles are sweet...thanks Mashie!!!

So would you buy it over say an Adams Idea techV3 or a diablo edge?

I would buy it over anything out there right now easily.

Hit quite a few balls with it at the range today and was just killing the ball with it. Spent a lot of time experimenting with ball placement/swings and the corresponding ball flight.

I liked both of them quite a bit. But they dont hold a candle to the Mashie.

JB, after reading all of these reviews on this great club I have had an epiphany. Do you think you think you could arrange a group discount for THP members with Cleveland for the Mashie? :laughing:

Well I'm going to take both of your advise. I was a little unsettled when the Mashie came out as a "Silver Medalist" in the latest Hot list from golf digest. But...., I'll take your advise and wait for the Mashie. I;m not going to be able to hit it before I buy so I hope your advise is on the money!!! 150 Bucks!!!

JB, after reading all of these reviews on this great club I have had an epiphany. Do you think you think you could arrange a group discount for THP members with Cleveland for the Mashie? :laughing:

Your getting a discount by being able to buy it rather than buy 2 others and end up trading them in for it...hehe

Well I'm going to take both of your advise. I was a little unsettled when the Mashie came out as a "Silver Medalist" in the latest Hot list from golf digest. But...., I'll take your advise and wait for the Mashie. I;m not going to be able to hit it before I buy so I hope your advise is on the money!!! 150 Bucks!!!

Read the performance section. The Mashie did VERY WELL, just the demand category took them out of gold. Kind of ridiculous.

Sounds like JB has a Fancy for the Mashie!!! I really need a 4 Hyrid so if you say so JB.............., Thats good enough for me!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like JB has a Fancy for the Mashie!!! I really need a 4 Hyrid so if you say so JB.............., Thats good enough for me!!!!!!!!!!

For me its the shaft. I already liked the DST line and the Mashie head just made it even better. But this shaft is by far the best hybrid shaft I have ever used by a very large margin.

Got out today for 9 holes before this big cold front comes in later tonight..

It was a rough day, hit the mashie 6 times. 3 off the tee, 2 out of fairway and once in some thick rough. Out of those 6 shots I hit 1 good one. 3 were huge draws and the other 2 were low hooks. Im not sure what was going on because my driver was on today and didnt miss to bad with my irons. I just could not figure out what i was doing, I lost confidence in it after the 3rd huge draw I hit, just wasnt a good day which is somewhat strange since I was seeing better and better results each time out.

All 3 times off the tee I hit a huge draw/borderline hook. I over swung once which was my fault but the other 2 times were a good tempo swing and just off they went to the left, feedback however is still awesome and the feel is better than any club when hit solid.

2 times out of the fairway, I hit one good shot that was perfect. Got up nice and high with a penetrating flight and had a little baby draw at the end. Bounce just off the green then rolled right up on the edge of the green. The other was a terrible low hook that I lost in the woods, started on target line but just went dead left and got no more than 10-15 feet off the ground.

Out of the rough I had a pretty bad lie and just tried to muscle it out instead of keeping a smooth swing and hooked it over into the other fairway, it also happened to be my last shot with the mashie and just bad ending to a bad day with it.

Hoping it was just one of those days and not a recurring thing because it is no doubt the best feeling club I have ever hit, and would hate to not be able to hit it consistently. I didnt keep up with any distances because of how poor I was hitting it. Sent andy (THP Pro) a message to hopefully get this big draw/hook with some of my clubs to go away.

The good thing though, there is still A LOT of testing to be done. I thought I was completely comfortable with it but today put me back in my place that I still need some time with it.

Good thoughts everyone. AHA, I love those kinds of shots!!!!

Bridges, keep your head up! Probably just one of those days.

I had a range session Friday with the Mashie. Been on call this week so the course hasn't been too much of an option. More of the same in terms of ball flight.... High and piercing with a draw on a few more of my shots. Nothing big and I only hooked one which was not helped by my pull haha. I did fade a few but I'm not one to usually call shots I'm going to do. I just like straight shots for now.

One new bit of news for me was how I practice with this club with change. When I get to the range its a wedge or niblick to start the warmups. Then Ill work my way through the bag until I get to my Mashie/3w/driver. Ill continue to do warm up with the wedge/Niblick but only until I loosen up. At that point I'm going to start with the Mashie as my first club. I found that after swinging the Mashie my tempo is much better and I can take that to the other clubs. I saw this on the course and haven't even thought of applying it to my practice. I was real tired at the end of my range time but I was able to keep it together because of my tempo, where 99% of the time before I would be off hitting fat or worm burners. A lightbulb went off for sure.

Yoccos, very good thought on the range session, after warm up start swinging the Mashie to work on tempo. That is something we all should do on our range sessions, immediately after warm up work on tempo, I see most folks go to the long club and try to hit bombs.

Too Much Hook

Too Much Hook

Got out today for 9 holes before this big cold front comes in later tonight..

It was a rough day, hit the mashie 6 times. 3 off the tee, 2 out of fairway and once in some thick rough. Out of those 6 shots I hit 1 good one. 3 were huge draws and the other 2 were low hooks. Im not sure what was going on because my driver was on today and didnt miss to bad with my irons. I just could not figure out what i was doing, I lost confidence in it after the 3rd huge draw I hit, just wasnt a good day which is somewhat strange since I was seeing better and better results each time out.

All 3 times off the tee I hit a huge draw/borderline hook. I over swung once which was my fault but the other 2 times were a good tempo swing and just off they went to the left, feedback however is still awesome and the feel is better than any club when hit solid.

2 times out of the fairway, I hit one good shot that was perfect. Got up nice and high with a penetrating flight and had a little baby draw at the end. Bounce just off the green then rolled right up on the edge of the green. The other was a terrible low hook that I lost in the woods, started on target line but just went dead left and got no more than 10-15 feet off the ground.

Out of the rough I had a pretty bad lie and just tried to muscle it out instead of keeping a smooth swing and hooked it over into the other fairway, it also happened to be my last shot with the mashie and just bad ending to a bad day with it.

Hoping it was just one of those days and not a recurring thing because it is no doubt the best feeling club I have ever hit, and would hate to not be able to hit it consistently. I didnt keep up with any distances because of how poor I was hitting it. Sent andy (THP Pro) a message to hopefully get this big draw/hook with some of my clubs to go away.

The good thing though, there is still A LOT of testing to be done. I thought I was completely comfortable with it but today put me back in my place that I still need some time with it.

This is my main concern is whether it would become a hook monster for me as I already play a rather large draw or hook as a normal flight pattern. The good thing is my wife KellyBo is going to pick up one or two of these and I can hit them to check ballflight etc. Even with my right to left flight being of the norm, I can fade my current hybrids most of the time as required with no problem.

I agree completely. The Mashie has not only been a great club for me but it's giving me all sorts of other improvements haha. It's all starting to click even more and this club has been the catalyst for sure.

Yoccos, very good thought on the range session, after warm up start swinging the Mashie to work on tempo. That is something we all should do on our range sessions, immediately after warm up work on tempo, I see most folks go to the long club and try to hit bombs.

I agree completely. The Mashie has not only been a great club for me but it's giving me all sorts of other improvements haha. It's all starting to click even more and this club has been the catalyst for sure.

this is precisely what i'm beginning to see out of the Mashie. i've noticed that it's helping me groove a good, consistent swing and that's transferring over into my other clubs. i think you may be on to something by warming up with the Mashie on the range, and next time out, i'm totally stealing this idea.

ole gray, i've played quite a bit of golf with you over the past few months and i think anything you put in your hands is going to draw. i don't forsee you having any trouble with the Mashie, and here's why:

-it'll feel better than your current hybrid or any other hybrid for that matter
-it sounds better than your current hybrid or any other hybrid for that matter
-you'll be hard pressed to find a hybrid that's as easy to hit and forgiving as this one
-you won't find a hybrid that offers the ball flight and distance that this one gives you.

basically, it's unparalleled in my opinion.

Lol, sweet. You gotta let us know what you think. I did a couple shots with my 6i, which I was struggling with pre-Mashie and after Mashie it was night/day. It just clicked. Even though it's something that has been happening since the Mashie arrived haha.

Gray, TC is spot on with this one. I suspect your snakes will be in hibernation come Mashie time!

this is precisely what i'm beginning to see out of the Mashie. i've noticed that it's helping me groove a good, consistent swing and that's transferring over into my other clubs. i think you may be on to something by warming up with the Mashie on the range, and next time out, i'm totally stealing this idea.

ole gray, i've played quite a bit of golf with you over the past few months and i think anything you put in your hands is going to draw. i don't forsee you having any trouble with the Mashie, and here's why:

-you'll be hard pressed to find a hybrid that's as easy to hit and forgiving as this one
-you won't find a hybrid that offers the ball flight and distance that this one gives you.

You've sold me bro! I am going to be looking at adding the 15.5 for sure and maybe a four iron replacement. I use my four iron off the short par fours alot because the one in my set is so easy to hit. With that said a four iron type mashie which gives you more distance, good accuracy, and and a great shaft is hard to pass up.

Boom. If thats not a ringing endorsement for the Mashie I dont know what is.

Back