Ahhhhh So that's how you do it

Postman

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody just have a moment in golf where you just finally figure out something.I was at the range this past Friday and after 9 months finally figured out how to hit down on a golf ball.I played a round yesterday and I was taking big divots with very good results,I mean my balls were finally getting very good air on them and I was very confident from 100 yards and in.Anybody else have a lightbulb moment,I guess this is for newer golfers cause I'm sure you pro's have all figured it out by now lol.

I think we all have those moments throughout our golf career. At least I do almost every round.

Anybody just have a moment in golf where you just finally figure out something.I was at the range this past Friday and after 9 months finally figured out how to hit down on a golf ball.I played a round yesterday and I was taking big divots with very good results,I mean my balls were finally getting very good air on them and I was very confident from 100 yards and in.Anybody else have a lightbulb moment,I guess this is for newer golfers cause I'm sure you pro's have all figured it out by now lol.

I had this moment the other day with my driver. I have always had an in-out swing with my irons but it has always been out-in with my driver, causing some nice ummmm power fades. With the help of a lesson and Andy's tip of the baseball diamond drill, I am finally swinging on the proper path and even hitting some nice draws.

For sure. As a relative newcomer to the game, I get the pleasure of 'aha' moments quite a bit. Learning how to hit down on the ball is a really good one, Postman. The shot sounds different, looks different, and acts different. Quite refreshing ;)

I think we all have those moments throughout our golf career. At least I do almost every round.

Exactly! And then I forget how on the next shot.

I usually do on about the 17th hole every round. Then totally forget by the next time I play.

I was at ED Watts the other day hitting wtih my driver and struggling. Another customer and I were discussing and he gave me a tip to soften up my grip on the righ hand and for some reason it work wonders. I was hitting straighter and longer shots.

Had another one after using my Tour Striker. I have been practicing indoors chipping and concentrated more on hitting down with wedges and was amazed how easy it was to get the ball up in the air. I can wait for this weather to break so I can try it on the range and course.

The tour striker has helped me have a few AHA moments over the past week. I just hope I can replicate on the course.

great stuff SMG. the new grip I'm working on stresses this exact thing and the results I'm seeing are pretty consistent
I was at ED Watts the other day hitting wtih my driver and struggling. Another customer and I were discussing and he gave me a tip to soften up my grip on the righ hand and for some reason it work wonders. I was hitting straighter and longer shots.

Had another one after using my Tour Striker. I have been practicing indoors chipping and concentrated more on hitting down with wedges and was amazed how easy it was to get the ball up in the air. I can wait for this weather to break so I can try it on the range and course.

The tour striker has helped me have a few AHA moments over the past week. I just hope I can replicate on the course.

I was the range once and for some reason decided that I want to try and hit fades. And wouldn't you know it, I altered my take away a little bit and held off releasing the club. And there it was, and beautiful fade with my 7 iron. I hit about 10 in a row. Perfect fade. Got to the course, every ball was dead straight. Missed a ton of greens to the left. Went to the range the next day, fade was back. On the course, fade gone.

Stupid golf.

Last edited:
I usually do on about the 17th hole every round. Then totally forget by the next time I play.

Same thing happens to me, funny how that works. I have some really bad holes, get frustrated, then play well on 17 and 18, just well enough to make me want to come back ASAP...

Yesterday I actually scuffed up some golf balls with my wedge shots,never been so happy to tear something up lol.Also on one drive I hit, I swung so easy my friend said wow what a sissy shot but the thing went 225 which is maybe only 10 yards less than when I swing regular but was much easier to control.

Seems I must figure it out on the driving range over and over, seems difficult for me to carry it to the course. I find my self "rediscovering" the same things over and over.

I think everyone has a moment or two from time to time where something just clicks. Nothing better than having one of those days.

great stuff SMG. the new grip I'm working on stresses this exact thing and the results I'm seeing are pretty consistent

Glad that is working for you too Hanks. I just hope to get out soon to try it on the course.

Exactly! And then I forget how on the next shot.

LOL!

This is why I started keeping a golf "journal". The wife thinks I'm nuts, but it has made a big difference in carrying swing thoughts and things learned over from round to round, range session to round, etc. I use OneNote and even keep a "Basics" page of the journal on my smartphone for quick reference on the course (phone is with me for GolfLogix anyway), but someone could also use a notebook. I find an electronic journal let's me make changes as I find something stops working or whatever. I definitely recommend this for all but especially for those whose game is rapidly changing!

Ahh ahh moments are the best. Always fun figuring stuff out then seeing good results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At first when I finally figured out how to use my 7-iron to 170 yards was a momentous occasion. That round, I didn't use a single other club for distance, I just wailed on it with my 7-iron the whole way 'round.
Then I figured out how to use my driver in the back 9 of another round.. that was a sweet feeling, except it disappeared soon after I'd put my driver away for the last time.

Great thread postman, yes i know exactly what you mean i have had a whole lot of AAAHHHAAA moments. I've only been playing for a year (actually exactly a year this month) but, i can still remember the moment i learned to hit long straight drives without slicing. I've had so many of those moments basically everything i've learned was because i saw the "LIGHT" at the range and, most of the time it was so obvious that i say "am i really THAT stupid" LOL.

I learned how to hit a flop shot in ten minutes. Never knew how, then I read how to do it in Tiger's book. I am good at flops now.

Ahhh moments are the best. Since I'm pretty new to the game I get these quite often. Looking foreward to the next Ahhh

After I switched to wedges with the new grooves I had some trouble hitting those low pitch shots from 40-80 yards that hop twice and then stop/zip back. Took me a few months to figure it out but when I did my reaction was something like this: :banana:.

I think the saddest part of these moments is that after they happen, I realize how simple something was and then think 'Duh!' I'm an idiot for not realizing it sooner. Still, it's nice to figure something out no matter how simple it 'should have' been. :D

Back