TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

How was the ballflight for you compared to the 2.0's?

It was a little lower, maybe a bit more penetrating a flight. Distance was definitely shorter but feel was better. But I sort of had this idea they wouldnt be forgiving but that just wasnt the case. Much easier to hit then I thought.

Sweet.

Tapatalk: Not just for the bathroom.

Great update OEM, those are sweet looking clubs.

Ok just got back from a 2 hour range session with the CB Forged (not to be confused with that bad Chris Rock movie CB4) and here are my thoughts. Forgive me if I ramble but I've got a lot of thoughts in my head right now regarding these babies. OEM Kevin was along for the ride so he may be able to validate some of these thoughts and maybe provide some of his own.

Looks- Awesome looking sticks at address. Needed to get used to looking at chrome again but I adjusted rather quickly. You know what? There's minimal offset to these irons which I actually really, really liked. Check it out vs. my x-24
2ff8f8be.jpg
[/IMG]

The profile is compact and a little narrower which you could really feel in your shots (more on that later). The sole is narrower which should translate to some shot shaping (more on that later too) and you can't see the screw at address either. Looking at the irons in the bag really brings home the clean yet functional look and even the bag chatter sounds different. WE're talking forged goodness here people!
0ee95dc4.jpg
[/IMG]

Feel- Super subjective here but these are pure as new fallen snow. You know when you flush it but when you miss it, yeah there's distance loss but your hands aren't screaming 'yo dude, what the dilly?' I hit a ton of shots tonight and almost all of them felt relatively the same which was an added bones. My moment of zen came when I absolutely flushed my favorite iron, the 8i. Normally this is my 140-150 club and when I hit this shot, it was like nothing I've felt. No really, it was almost like nothing at all. I ended up clearing the 150 flag by a little bit and here's the visual feedback from that shot that correlated with the sound and feel (see below). My ball striking was much better than it was when I last played in FL for the PGA Show and almost every shot save for 3 or 4 toppers was just like this. Definitely was ripping and striping these things all over the place. It's not really feel but I think sound goes hand in hand with feel. The sound of these irons is a cross between a subtle 'crack' and a firm 'smack.' Hearing is believing with these so you need to exeperience them for yourself

Performance- Oh boy are these things consistent. Distance was hard to judge with the amount of range balls all over the course (which by the way were the worst balls EVER but oh well) but these irons are straight shooters. My natural shot is a little fade and most irons I've played pretty much eliminate it but these actually brought it to life. It was controllable, consistent, and repeatable but I could dial in the occasional draw and straight shot but for the most part the fade was there and controllable. I don't think these irons will be overly long but where these will really shine will be a tight shot dispersion and predictable and consistent distance. The ball flight is definitely medium to medium-high as well. Not too high mind you but the ball definitely gets up there with a pleasant trajectory that makes you feel like you're making golf shots instead of just hitting the ball. I have R flex in these irons and I think that the flex is just fine for me. Would definitely like to see what a stiffer shaft would do for me but right now the flex seems to be a-ok. If they work why change them right? Although the grips will need changing as the Golf Pride stock grip seems to get slick really quick.
e6a15d03.jpg
[/IMG]

Overall I'm really pleased with these irons after the initial 2 hours I spent with them. I'm excited to see what kind of distances I can get with these as I get more dialed in. I may be sacrificing some distance for accuracy but I think that may be what my game needs now.

Good info OEM and Hanks. The new forged line from TM has caught my interest and will probably end up getting a set this summer. Not sure If it will be the MC or CB yet, but am anticipating the testing info.

Great write-up, Hanks.

Nice write-up Hanks! Sounds like the initial range test was a success.

Nice write ups Kevin and Hanks! Sounds like a sweet set of sticks. I look forward to comparing those CBS to the MCs soon!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Wow they're that sharp to cut up balls?

Great stuff guys and love the pics!

Wow they're that sharp to cut up balls?

Huh?

Excellent write up Hanks. I really didnt know what to expect and what I saw was a very pleasant surprise. Hanks was killing these irons like hes had a set for months now.

It was a little lower, maybe a bit more penetrating a flight. Distance was definitely shorter but feel was better. But I sort of had this idea they wouldnt be forgiving but that just wasnt the case. Much easier to hit then I thought.
I'm glad to hear you say that Kevin. That's how it is with my X-Prototypes.

Huh?

Excellent write up Hanks. I really didnt know what to expect and what I saw was a very pleasant surprise. Hanks was killing these irons like hes had a set for months now.

It looks like there are chunks of ball in the grooves.

It looks like there are chunks of ball in the grooves.

Oh I follow you. Dude these balls were bad. Some almost didnt have dimples left and some were covered in mud. Most of them were just brown instead of white. But it was almost 70* and Hanks had new irons lol

Is it just me or do these look mighty small for a CB. They look quite compact, and I like them alot.

Oh I follow you. Dude these balls were bad. Some almost didnt have dimples left and some were covered in mud. Most of them were just brown instead of white. But it was almost 70* and Hanks had new irons lol

Haha ok, I was getting a bit choked there because I go to the range with my X-Forged to try and rip balls up but I can never do it... the most I"ve ever done is fill one groove.

Is it just me or do these look mighty small for a CB. They look quite compact, and I like them alot.

They are pretty compact and I like them too. Id call them a nice middle between blades and huge CB GI clubs.

Its official then. I want them. They get the OEM stamp of approval.

I'll admit I was very impressed with them. And another thing I forgot to mention - the screw. Completely forgot about it after I started hitting them.

And Thainer, I want them too.

Great write ups OEM and Hanks! Man, these seem like winners! I can't wait to try these myself!

Thats like the balls we have at the dome here, might as well hit rocks.

Thats like the balls we have at the dome here, might as well hit rocks.

Rocks with a little bit of rubber covering them.

Rocks with a little bit of rubber covering them.

Yeah...thats why I drive 20 minutes to a range instead of one 20 feet from my house in the summer. Srixon practice balls vs. dirt clods

Back