TaylorMade Kingdom Experience Diary

I wanted to just talk a little bit about the actual fitting part of the Kingdom experience and about the R-11 as well.

I've played golf for over 30 years and until now, I had never been properly fit for clubs.
The closest I have come to a fitting was late last season when my old driver head cracked.
I visited the only real golf retailer in Spokane since they had the most options for equipment and the only launch monitor in town.
I hit several different brands of drivers and the limited number of shaft combinations, which all were limited to stock shafts in either stiff or regular.
The monitor said that the best driver for me was the Taylormade SuperTri in the 10.5* and stiff shaft.
The SuperTri felt the best to me as well, so I purchased it. The SuperTri has worked very well for me and I have not been disappointed in it at all.

Then along comes the fantastic opportunity to visit The Kingdom and get an actual professional fitting done.
My fitter was Alan and worked with me for almost an hour while trying several different shafts and numerous head settings.
I would hit a few balls and he would make a slight adjustment. Then I would hit a few more balls and again he would either adjust the head or switch shafts.
After several combinations of shafts and adjustments and balls hit, we thought we had the right combination.
The ball was exploding off the clubface and felt like it was going a mile.....and in the right direction!
I was ready for the club to be built, but Alan insisted on waiting for our final judgement till after my turn at the Trackman.
My turn came and I hit some drives with my SuperTri to lay down a baseline. I've always hit the SuperTri well, and did so with the Trackman watching.
Now it was time to see if Alan's recommendation of the 9* R-11 and the Fujikura Speeder VC 6.0 Stiff was as good as it felt.
The first 3 shots with the combination felt terrific with a great ball flight and distance. I was sold, but Alan wasn't.
The numbers on the Trackman were pretty good and a lot better than the numbers I got with the SuperTri, but Alan wanted them better.
So he adjusted the shaft a little and had me hit it again. Wow...the spin rate was down around 2300 rpm, the launch angle was around the magic 12 degree mark, the ball speed was 3 mph faster than the SuperTri, wth a smash factor of 1.49 and the decent angle was in the desired 38 degree mark ! I felt like I was holding a magic wand.

Now a little about the R-11 itself....
Before the Kingdom trip, I had only seen the R-11's on tv and in print.
I was a bit anxious about seeing a big white head behind a little white ball.
Would that fit my eye? Would it be hard to align similar colors to my target line?
The first time I sat the R-11 behind the ball, I was astounded.
The club framed the ball and I could align it to my target line immediately.
The small amount of the black face between the ball and the club was exactly what was needed to accomplish this.
After getting the club fit for me and having a chance to hit quite a few balls as well as playing 18 holes with it, I can honestly say that this is the finest driver I have ever hit.
Don't get me wrong, I loved hitting my SuperTri and I hit it very well, but the R-11 blows it out of the water.
I now know just how important it is to get your clubs fitted for you. Without the proper fitting, you are just shuffling the cards and trying to pick out the ace while blind folded.

The technology built into this clubhead along with the perfectly matched shaft for my swing make this the magic wand I have always looked for and I owe all of this to Taylormade, Alan, and THP.

I want to thank Taylormade, Alan(Stoney) and THP for opening my eyes to club fitting and taking my game to the next level.

Bill Mills
Drumdog

Great batch of video's P4B...thanks for sharing those!!

Great write-up Drumdog, I hope to one day get to go through that fitting process myself. Awesome stuff.

This whole experience has me dumbfounded. The experience the 3 of you got is a dream come true. I was planning on getting fit for irons this fall but now I am seriously considering also getting fit for a driver this fall too. My only apprehension is finding a fitter near me worthy of living up to the dreams the 3 of you have established. I have been saving every extra dollar feverishly and in the back of my mind I have a "lottery dream" of going to The Kingdom for a full 14-club fitting. Thank you for letting me live vicariously in your life for a few days and for giving all of us a new perspective on the value of a proper fitting and the value of how a correct fitting is done by a top-notch company.

The iron video was great. I could watch that stuff all day.

Every time i watch these new videos popping up i just wanna buy a plane ticket to Cali and try to get into the Kingdom lol

Alright, here are my last 2 videos. This was from when Jim Flick sat us all down and began to talk to us all about things he observed in our swings throughout the day and also just some other great tips and things to keep mindful when playing golf. Unfortunately my batteries died during this part but I believe Drumdog caught the end of it which was when Flick was hitting balls while seated in that chair. Take a look...

Great insight on the grip pressure talk he gave us in this video...

Love your trip and all of your summaries P4B, but all I can think about here is the Inaugural Up & Down w/ Jake and Lefty:

"Whats with the white drivers? I dont like white. The last thing I want to see on a golf course is white. It reminds me of snow. Make it black, and make it great. Dont try to sell me on the white!"

LOL. Love to see youve changed your mind!

Love your trip and all of your summaries P4B, but all I can think about here is the Inaugural Up & Down w/ Jake and Lefty:

"Whats with the white drivers? I dont like white. The last thing I want to see on a golf course is white. It reminds me of snow. Make it black, and make it great. Dont try to sell me on the white!"

LOL. Love to see youve changed your mind!
Yeah I've done a complete 180 since then. The point of that rant though was the ad campaign more than the driver since I hadn't hit it yet. I told them I was rather skeptical at first and wondered why they did it. But now I know and now I love it! Funny isn't it?

Wow! Nothing else to say. I'm very jealous. Great pictures guys, looks like yall had tons of fun.

man, I just want to say THANK YOU for this awesome coverage. You have left nothing to the imagination. You three did an absolutely amaizing job of bringing your experience into my office. I know it would have been easy to get wrapped up in all of the fun and not utilize your video cameras but you all had the THP family in mind. Thanks guys!!!

Wow great job guys, I'm extremely happy for you all and very grateful for the amazing coverage you provided. Well done, THP and TM selected 3 very deserving people no doubt!

Great Videos Guys!!! Now that is what we're talking about. The Flick videos are just great......

Any more of the event coordinator by chance.....wow! :in-love:

Great Videos Guys!!! Now that is what we're talking about. The Flick videos are just great......

Any more of the event coordinator by chance.....wow! :in-love:
You talking about Dave? Sure he's a sharp looking dude but he's married! Jeez man.

Ok ok....I know who you're referring to. I don't have any more pics or videos of Jaime. She was super cool for sure.

DrumDog loved the final recap you had there, I wish I had a magic wand.

Loved the last videos there P4B, man a lesson from Jim Flick is priceless.

Here is some more Jim Flick

TaylorMade Timeline

The Wall of Fame

Us coming out to the hitting area of The Kingdom and Pete Sanchez talking about The Kingdom

Introduction (Pay attention all of you Jamie fans out there!)

Super updates guys, I just checked the weekend forecast for the weekend and the Highs at Reynolds Plantation are 80*, 81* & for Sunday 70*, better wear the shorts, Saturday is going to be a long day to be in slacks.

What training aid was in the green bottles? haha

These videos are just amazing. This thread is just awesome and seems to get awesomer each day.

Just got the email.

Dave

show details 12:52 PM (2 minutes ago)

Hey Everyone,

If you are receiving this email, its because you are one of the lucky 10 who will be embarking on a golf experience this weekend unlike anyother (unless you have been to Bandon Dunes or The Masters J).

First let me introduce myself. My name is Dave and I am the PR manager here at TaylorMade-adidas and Ashworth Golf. I have the pleasure of working with both site owners Josh Babbitt of The Hacker’s Paradise and Richard Audi (Golf WRX). I approached these two individuals about offering a truly unique experience for a few lucky members. I am proud to say that last week’s “experience” at the TaylorMade Kingdomin Carlsbad was received quite well by all those who participated. I expect the same for all of you this week.

I will be one of your hosts this weekend. Expect more emailcommunication. In the mean time, here are a few key things to know:

You will be receiving email conformations from an adidas travel agent. Please look over your itinerary and APPROVE it by responding to all and simply saying “Approve”
Here is a tentative schedule for you to review. I will be working with others here at TMaG to make final tweaks:

Friday, March 18

-Arrivals in Atlanta airport (Transportation TBD)

-Travel to Greensboro(site of Reynolds Plantation and the Ritz Carlton)

-Check in to Ritz Carlton(4pm)

-Dinner that evening at Ritz with TMaG staff (TBD)

Saturday, March 19

-Breakfast at RP Kingdom (7:30am)

-driver fittings and Kingdom experience (8a-12p)

-golf at RP (1pm)

-Dinner that evening at Ritz with TMaG staff (TBD)

Sunday, March 20

-breakfast on your own

-departures

More to come! Make sure you approve those flights!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are going to love Dave! He is awesome!

You guys are going to love Dave! He is awesome!

I know we will Dr. How many of the 10 winners were at Carlsbad? I am wondering if this is an all THP weekend or if others will be attending.

That's a heckuva itinerary. Good luck!

Great jobs on the videos everyone! Really cool stuff here....almost like free mini-lessons for the rest of us!

I know we will Dr. How many of the 10 winners were at Carlsbad? I am wondering if this is an all THP weekend or if others will be attending.

I believe you will have another 10 in Georgia.

Back