Lessons at The Golf Lab

ahh2fly

Fred Couples' New Caddy
Reaction score
Handicap
VERY HIGH
I had a lesson at The Golf Lab in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah with Corey Badger on Tuesday after work. I learned so much from him and seeing myself on video really helped me to understand what I needed to work on. I felt like I looked ridiculous, but when I looked at the video, I realized I looked totally normal.

The best thing about him was that he didn't try to fix everything. He just gave me a few things to work on.

Corey wants me to get out to the driving range and try to play a few rounds before I come back for my next lesson. Here is the website for The Golf Lab:

http://www.golflab.net/

I'll write more about what I learned, but I've never started a thread and wanted to see if I could do it correctly.

Cool, look forward to the updates, good luck

Looks good to me and congrats on starting the lessons. It can make a world of difference.

Looking forward to hearing about your lessons. Good luck!

Congrats at starting your first thread and lessons. I am looking forward to my lessons come April.

Good for you! Lessons are the way to go....and they are in doors...no breeze :doh:

I had a lesson at The Golf Lab in downtown Salt Lake City, Utah with Corey Badger on Tuesday after work. I learned so much from him and seeing myself on video really helped me to understand what I needed to work on. I felt like I looked ridiculous, but when I looked at the video, I realized I looked totally normal.

The best thing about him was that he didn't try to fix everything. He just gave me a few things to work on.

Corey wants me to get out to the driving range and try to play a few rounds before I come back for my next lesson. Here is the website for The Golf Lab:

http://www.golflab.net/

I'll write more about what I learned, but I've never started a thread and wanted to see if I could do it correctly.

Being in SLC, I always wondered how it was to take lessons there. Supposedly he's very good. I'm looking forward to your updates and progresses.

Good deal ahh, looking forward to the updates, good luck.

I've been stuck in the ice age here in Utah this year. I actually get to play golf on Saturday. Can't wait!!! Then I'm going to schedule another lesson for next week back at The Golf Lab.

Seeing myself on video for the first time was an eye opener. I thought I was much better looking. Also, my swing was not what I pictured. Glad to hear you had a good experience.

That's really exciting! He sounds like a great teacher. I've only had a couple of lessons, neither of which involved video, so you're well on your way. Good luck and have fun.

Very nice. I'm a big believer in lessons. I hope the work pay's off for you.

Does Corey bear any resemblance to Freddy by chance? :in-love:

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Can't wait to hear about your lessons and the effects they have on your swing. Good luck!!

Proud of ya and this is a big leap towards getting your fundamentals down. Great thread and interesting topic :thumb: You go girl :clapp:

Does Corey bear any resemblance to Freddy by chance? :in-love:

Keep us updated on how it goes.

Tehehe. I would actually ask Corey out, but he got engaged to his sweet girlfriend back in October. He's on the quiet side, but a man who can golf just does something for me.

My next lesson is scheduled for 5:00 on Monday night. I'm playing golf at Thanksgiving Point on Saturday (if we don't get snowed out) so I thought it would be a good time to go in for another lesson after I play 18. Already making plans to purchase 3 more lessons. Maybe more, depending on how things go.

I had a great golf lesson yesterday afternoon at the Golf Lab. I'm still really learning how the true mechanics of the swing work. Even after all of these years of golfing, I am a hacker. BUT, I really want to be able to play at least bogey golf and not embarrass myself. I LOVE golf. I would play every single day if I could. BUT, I am not a good golfer.

Lesson Learned

Lesson Learned

Corey Badger started out by having me do a few practice swings to get warmed up and then videotaping my swing to see what I remember from last time and to see where I am at currently.

Setup: My setup was much better this time compared to last time. For YEARS I have remembered what the first pro I took a lesson from told me... stick your butt out and sit down like you are sitting on a bar stool. SO WRONG! I am now setting up at the ball and sometimes backing off because I "squat" back into my old ways. I walk away for a second and then try again. So now it's just a matter of repeating that over and over for muscle memory.

Using a Mirror: It's hard to undo YEARS of doing something the wrong way. Corey recommends that I setup in front of a full length mirror from the side and then look in the mirror to see if the setup is how it should be. Make sure my weight is evenly distributed with my knees over the center of my feet. Bend from the hips (not the waist).

Too Handsy: My grip is really good and everything looks really good UNTIL I start my backswing. Need to remember to RELAX my arms while addressing the ball. I am way too handsy. I didn’t even realize how bad it was until I looked at the video. We spent some time on chipping drills so that I could work on a short backswing which forced me to be less handsy. This really worked for me. I am going to go practice chipping 30 yards, 50 yards, 60 yards, 80 yards, 100 yards… going up as I get comfortable with each yardage.

Chipping for Practice: Corey said that I will likely notice that most people have trouble with their chipping. This is a critical part of golfing. He doesn’t think distance will be an issue for me at all. Going out to the driving range and hitting your driver over and over isn’t going to help you get any better. He recommends hitting a few short chip shots and then some longer shots to reproduce what goes on during the course of a game. This helps your body adjust from a full swing to a partial swing more readily.

Fixing Other Things: Now that my set-up and takeaway are better, the club is on plane and the club face is where it is supposed to be without him having to tell me how to fix those things. It’s amazing that if you just focus on a few things, many other things are fixed automatically.

The swing is on one plane. It’s like a person on a swing. It needs to be rhythmic and smooth. The club head represents the person on the swing. You should feel like the club head is doing all of the work instead of forcing your hands and arms to try to “make it happen.”

Follow Through: Always remember that the swing continues through the ball to the target. Don’t end your swing at the ball. Also, don’t keep your head down the entire time. That’s a huge mistake people make. You should have your head down at impact, but as you finish, your head should naturally move up to face the target. If you keep your head down the whole time, you will end up off balance at the end.

Finish: We also talked about my finish. I don’t really hold it. I should. I should be balanced enough at the end of the swing that it is comfortable to hold the pose.

I have a lot more to write about, but I need to get going right now. What do you think so far? Do you think Corey is a good instructor? I like the fact that he doesn’t try to change everything. He lets you keep your swing and then tweaks it so that it is more productive.

Great read A2F. Thats a lot to remember, but practice makes perfect. I'm enjoying hearing how you do and learning myself as I go, thanks.

Keep your wrists firm all the way back and through on everything, works for me. Don't try that loopy thing at the top of the backswing that some pros do, it will destroy your contact. Great read thanks for sharing. See you over at TGS also, I drop in on Tony and those guys from time to time too.

This week looks great in SLC, especialy Thursday to Saturday. I know my wife and I will be out playing the next 3 days. It's nice to hear of your lessons and the process your going through. With your drive and the weather holding up, I'm sure you will make much progress and at least get to bogey golf!

Good write up ahh, I am hoping to start lessons very soon myself. Have been unable to get in touch with the pro for the past 2 days, so not sure when we will begin.

Last edited:
i love to hear people going through their lessons. Ive had 14 i think? since last april. And my last lesson - he said wow - you should really be seeing great results out there. Your swing is almost perfect. That meant the world to me.

i am anxious to follow your progress and good luck to you!

Back