Putting W/ Glove On

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I know just about every golfer takes their glove off to putt. They say they do it for the feedback and feel in most cases or they see the pros do it and do the same. I have recently gone back to putting with a glove on and got success for some reason. I seem to do it for two reasons, 1, it relaxes my hands at setup and 2, because I dont like messing with the glove on and off.

In hindsight looking back, I think I putt the same wearing a glove or not. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting?
2. Since I assume most don't, why not?
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting?

1: I do putt with a glove on
2: I putt with one on because I love the feeling of wearing my glove... and I'm also too lazy to keep pulling it on and off since it's like a second skin
3: No I do not.

I go back and forth on this. I will go through about a month of putting with the glove on and a month off.
I think I just remember to take it off before putting. I think it is mostly a mental thing not a feel thing.
I don't think it really affects my putting. Sometimes I just think mentally it helps me. I guess if you say feel, why don't people chip around the green without a glove then?

I know just about every golfer takes their glove off to putt. They say they do it for the feedback and feel in most cases or they see the pros do it and do the same. I have recently gone back to putting with a glove on and got success for some reason. I seem to do it for two reasons, 1, it relaxes my hands at setup and 2, because I dont like messing with the glove on and off.

In hindsight looking back, I think I putt the same wearing a glove or not. So I have a couple of questions.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? No, I do not.
2. Since I assume most don't, why not? It gives me more feel and I feel like I can control the putterhead better with no glove on. The skin to grip contact makes me more in control
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting Yes, I can honestly feel a difference. I think that with a glove on, I would miss probably 2-3 more putts a round. Mostly short dinkers that would slide by the hole.

Yes and No. I do try to take it off before putting, but sometimes I just forget and leave it on.

I usually take mine off out of habit more than anything. I always just assumed that that's what I was suppose to do, mostly b/c of what I saw on TV and stuff.

I have no earthly idea to be honest. I need to make a conscious effort to putt with glove off and glove on and see if there's any noticeable differences or affects.

Glove off while putting
I don't wear a glove because my dad doesn't wear a glove when he putts and I grew up watching him golf.
It probably helps more as a placebo.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? Sometimes, it really depends though. When I'm in a hurry I do. Its actually how I learned to putt.

2. Since I assume most don't, why not? For me it's a little superficial. With my wedge shots I usually take my glove off as well. I almost feel like people are looking at me funny if I do keep it on. Dumb reason to take it off but sometimes I do it for that reason. Funniest thing was when I was attempting to shoot videos for the Morgan Cup, I kept my glove on for putting and made the comment to my little bro, "serious golfers keep their gloves on". Haha.

3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? It feels different on the grip and I kinda like the feel better. I don't know how it helps or if it does, but I know when I feel uncomfortable I try to keep the glove on. It helps calm me down.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? Nope, not unless it's cold out
2. Since I assume most don't, why not? I typically take my glove off when inside of 150 so it's generally off once I'm puttign to begin with
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting I notice a difference in feel but not sure if it affects the results that much

1. I never wear my glove while putting, but I also almost always take my glove off after every shot.
2. My high school golf coach told me to take it off when putting, I've done so ever since.
3. I'd have to guess that it wouldn't really matter much.

I putt with my glove on

Honestly, it never really crosses my mind to take it off during a round and I've become so accustomed to it that it does cross my mind if practicing and not wearing it.

I feel a difference putting without a glove. I want a really loose grip and that seems easier with a glove on the left hand.

I have never worn a glove so I have no idea either way.

Hahaha. That is funny you ask. Last week I had this same ? for TED at SeeMore. I have always putted with a glove. Any way here they are.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? Yes,I tried taking it off but it feels much better with it on. Better feel.

2. Since I assume most don't, why not? Sorry I do....lol

3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? Yes I feel (in my mind) that there is a difference. Without the glove it feel funny to me and I don't have the same control. Yes I'm wierd.

Hahaha. That is funny you ask. Last week I had this same ? for TED at SeeMore. I have always putted with a glove. Any way here they are.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? Yes,I tried taking it off but it feels much better with it on. Better feel.

2. Since I assume most don't, why not? Sorry I do....lol

3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? Yes I feel (in my mind) that there is a difference. Without the glove it feel funny to me and I don't have the same control. Yes I'm wierd.

What was Teds take on this?

I use to take the glove off to putt, but this year I have been putting with it on. Not a big deal to me. Feel is mostly sound I think and I can hear just fine with it on, so it still "feels" right.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting?- Most of the time I don't wear one. I remove it as I approach the green. But sometimes I get too focused into chipping then putting and I don't take it off.
2. Since I assume most don't, why not?- I like the feel of a glove with an iron and driver, but I really want to get as much "feel" and "touch" with my putter as possible.
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting?- On most simple putts there is no difference, but on difficult (L-R, R-L) or long putts no glove def adds a touch.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? No I don't

2. Since I assume most don't, why not? Just a habit I have done since I started playing golf

3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? I believe I get a better feel, no I do not think it affects my putting.

I never wear a glove while putting.

I have always been told that you get better feel for putting with it off. Like I need a reason to feel the putt short and to the right.

I putt with my glove on because I'm to lazy to keep taking it off and putting it back on. Seems like a waste of time, at least for my game.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? I take my glove off for chipping and putting.

2. Since I assume most don't, why not? I only like to wear my glove for gripping purposes. I like to be able to feel where the ball hits off the club or putter face.

3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? I dont think it affects the putt as I make it, but it definitely helps me determine where on the face and how well I'm hitting my chips/putts. When I can feel how I'm hitting them I can correct my misses (hopefully) and putt better on the next hole.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? No, and not while chipping or pitching either.
2. Since I assume most don't, why not? It started by watching the pros when I first started golfing because I thought thats what you were supposed to do, now it has simply become a habit and I'm comfortable with it.
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? Only because I'm comfortable with it, not because it adds feel or anything.

Yes and No. I do try to take it off before putting, but sometimes I just forget and leave it on.

I usually take mine off out of habit more than anything. I always just assumed that that's what I was suppose to do, mostly b/c of what I saw on TV and stuff.

I have no earthly idea to be honest. I need to make a conscious effort to putt with glove off and glove on and see if there's any noticeable differences or affects.

Same answers here! I learned to play golf without a glove. So putting with or without one makes no difference to me.

I do not wear a glove while putting with one exception. When it is cold and damp up here I wear 2 gloves, and I do not take them off for the entire round. I dont see much of a difference in stats.

I wear no glove because I do like to have the same feel with both hands while putting. I mostly wear a glove as protection for my hand when the torque of the grip during a 110mph driver swing is highest, so there is no need while putting. And also the reason why I wear two when it is chilly, mostly out of need.

Truthfully, it doesn't make that much of a difference. I still know when I hit a bad (or good) putt with gloves on, and its not like I can't control my putter with a 1/32" thick piece of leather between me and the grip.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? No
2. Since I assume most don't, why not? For me it's comfort, and by that I mean I feel more comfortable putting without it on!
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? I couldn't say I actually feel a difference in my hands or feel, but without the glove on I seem to have more confidence to make the putts. But I do notice that if I'm in a hurry or a jam I leave it on for pure pace of play reasons!

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? I usually take it off unless I forget or am in a hurry.
2. Since I assume most don't, why not? Habit more than anything.
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? Last round I found I putt better with it on but have no idea why. I have been buying nicer gloves and am starting to think it makes no difference for me either way.

1. Do you wear your glove while putting? No, take it off for any shot within 50 yards.
2. Since I assume most don't, why not? Since I started golfing as a teenager it seemed that most everyone took theirs off (including pro's on TV), so I just did as they did
3. Do you actually feel a difference and believe it affects your putting? I like to think I can feel the putter better (same reason for chipping with it off).

I will add that a reason I take it off during the summer is that it will get damp from sweat, etc and I think a few minutes off can maybe allow it to dry off a tad before putting it back on.

Back