I have 16 clubs in my bag. I've never played in a tournament just a few scrambles. I could drop a couple clubs and be ok. I rarely hit my 5 wood anymore and could drop my 3&4i. I've played with people that have atleast 20 clubs and it never bothered me.

Only have 14.

In reality I bet if 6 different ones are used per round that is about it. At my last course we always had a 3 club comp at Christmas and one of the 3 had to be a putter. In the 20 odd years I played in it I cant remember it ever being won with higher than level nett. It really does help a golfer manufacture shots.

The other side of the coin is that there are some golfers around that if they had 114 clubs they would still not be able to post a good score.

I will carry 15 if I have a new club I am testing out. When I first put a niblick in the bag I had 15 because I was testing it against my 52 wedge. That lasted a few rounds. When I recently changed my Launcher 09 to a DXI 3 wood I did some on course comparisons too. Like Thainer said, I've also played with 11 - 12 clubs plenty of times.

right now i have 15 in my bag because i have an extra putter that i am trying out. but normally i will only carry 14. Ive noticed that i could prob cut it down to 10 clubs on my home course, there are a few clubs i dont even use.

14 is plenty for me. I can leave one or two in the truck and never even notice either.

I only carry 14. Something that I have always done without thinking about it.

I have carried more than 14 on certain occasions. I will play a round once a month where I test out different stuff, I play alone and I dont keep score. I dont want to be worried about how many strokes, just technique and being a little creative maybe.

Right now I'm carrying 15 just to see how much I use the new wedge I have and what club I'm going to get rid of

But if I have to I have no problem getting rid of a club

I don't see any reason to carry more than 14 clubs.

I've carried over the limit for testing of different clubs or shafts in rounds that are not counted for handicap , money matches and of course tournaments

It's 14 for me unless I'm testing out new clubs. I'll have dupes with what I'm currently hitting just so I can have a good comparison.

I only carry 14. It's one of the basic rules I think everyone should follow.

I agree. It goes along with not following the rules. At some point it stops being golf and becomes something else.

14 Nevermore

Randomly I'll take two putters to the course with me and leave them in the bag. If I'm not putting well, I switch. I have a Titleist SC Newport and an Odyssey Mid Two Ball and can't putt with either lately...go figure

You say 95% playing just for fun? Where does that 95 figure come from? "playing just for fun" does that mean to pick the rules you want to disregard?

I think most golfers play by all the rules, including the ones they don't like. You did right, just 14 in the bag, leave the others in the car.

Amen to your #12 Yorkem. Thainer just crushes the ball.

I've carried 13 clubs for almost two years now but recently added a 14th. Put a Hybrid in my bag to fill the gap between my 5W and 4I. My Iron set is 4i-Pw and I carry GW and SW. Had thought about adding a LW but went with the H.

Do what you have to do to enjoy the game. If that means 15 clubs, have at it. Life is too short to get wound up by petty things like the rules of golf.***

***As long as you are not in a competition.

I usually do 14. But sometimes I will bring 2 drivers and 2 PW's when doing tesing and usually do the course alone in that case.

I have always only had 14 in my bag, though the configuration has changed occasionally.

I don't carry more than 14. Actually I only carry 13. (3-P,G,S,4w,Driver, and Putter) I'm not good enough with my distances to need a 14th club.

I am round about this area as well. A lot of my longer irons don't get much use, but if I practiced a little better course management I think I could utilize 14 clubs.

If I am playing a practice round I am carrying as many clubs as I want and hitting at least 2-3 balls off every tee. I only do this when the golf course is not full so I am not holding anyone up. I don't keep score. Rules apply to official rounds and tournament events not practice and not golf for fun with your buddies. That is your event and you and your friends can decide how it is played. Just don't turn it in for handicap if you don't follow USGA to the letter.

I carry 14 unless I'm testing gear head to head. I'll bring the same club of another set for a couple shots every now and then. I could probably be fine with less than 14 most of the rounds I play.

I mix it up- I have a bunch of wedges I'm trying to find out which works best. And hybrids- Vs irons.

Just pulled the mashie an put a 4 iron in.

But I take em to range and practice with em all- if my car. Is close I'll drop off the extras if not oh well. Not playing in a tourney!

When I am testing equipment, I'll throw a couple extra in the bag. Playing serious, no.

Back