2012 US Open Contest & Official Thread [Spoilers]

Winner will be announced tonight. There are TONS of entries to go through.

Well...I know of one you won't have to count. I think I earned more money at the open than my team did.

I can imagine how tough that is.... I hope you or GG are good with Excel (or similar program) and make it easy on yourselves instead of checking by hand. Wow that would be alot of work by hand.

Cool. Maybe you guys could wrap up one of Ellie's turds and mail it to me for my epic failure of a team.

Just looking at the payouts, the winner will be someone who had Webb, or Thompson or Gmac. Hard to make up that much money.

No doubt the winner will have had to have picked Webb so you dont even need to look at my entry lol, no way I came close since Furyk didnt win.

Throw out every entry that didn't have Webb, Thompson, or Gmac. Impossible to win without one of them. The go count them up from there. It's probably less than 30 entries.

No need to check my entry, I made more playing for skins this weekend than my team did :banghead:

I think my favorite J-Mill part was on Sat when he said there is no way you can hit a draw to the green and get the ball to stop. It's impossible. Sure enough Gmac and Coelsarts both did it and stuck it easily. Then Tigers group gets up to the hole and he says that to get it close you have to hit the draw because the green is receptive and will hold it with no problem haha

That's because the first two days those greens weren't holding and you couldn't hit a draw and keep it on. If you recall on saturday the greens were softer and everything was holding. After those shots held mr. miller adjusted his analysis for how the course was playing.
Just like on sunday when I saw on here people ripping miller for his comment about furyk not compressing his wedge on 16. He said that in regards to distance, not spin, and he was right because furyk didn't catch it clean and didn't carry it as far as he wanted to/needed to.

People don't like johnny, he comes off as a dbag and he does say some really stupid things, I get it and that's fine. We all have people we don't like and that's ok. I just feel like often times people aren't even really listening to him, they're just picking up tid bits and ripping him without the context of the comments. Miller is far from being my favorite broadcaster but I feel like (at least lately) i'm often being put in a position to defend him because i'm not hearing things the same way that other people are hearing them. (I often feel the same way about el tigre)

No need to check my entry, I made more playing for skins this weekend than my team did :banghead:

Second that! I knew my picks would blow it, they always do. It's me I think. GG and JB have a lot of paper to search through and throw away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, that comment about half the time its windy all the time was incredible analysis. :D

Novel idea though and one that has come up on the forum the last couple of weeks. If the norm is not understanding the analysis, perhaps its the delivery rather than the reader/listener not "getting it". I listen quite well and understand quite well in my opinion and I thought Miller was at an all time low during this US Open. He made little sense throughout and for a man that has so much insight into the game, he struggles more and more to get it out in the proper context.

Add to that his clear favoritism and lack thereof to certain golfers and he is considered by many, the least understood guy there is.

Yeah, that comment about half the time its windy all the time was incredible analysis. :D

Novel idea though and one that has come up on the forum the last couple of weeks. If the norm is not understanding the analysis, perhaps its the delivery rather than the reader/listener not "getting it". I listen quite well and understand quite well in my opinion and I thought Miller was at an all time low during this US Open. He made little sense throughout and for a man that has so much insight into the game, he struggles more and more to get it out in the proper context.

Add to that his clear favoritism and lack thereof to certain golfers and he is considered by many, the least understood guy there is.
Miller was almost to much to handle this weekend, made watching the US Open half way hard just from his commentary.

Well I got 170 fantasy points this week, good for 3rd place in my group. Have to keep up the charge.

my boys failed me :(

T4 Jason Dufner $276,841
T27 Matt Kuchar $68,943
T41 Rickie Fowler $38,816
T41 Zach Johnson $38,816

Total $423,416... A mere drop in the Webb Simpson bucket

I think Miller's problem is he talks to much and that's what gets him in trouble. I think he feels he's supposed to react on the fly to things and have a comment for everything that happens, and he doesn't need to. I agree that he gets to be to much to handle in that regard. He has a comment for every lie, every shot, everything. I think that's partially what bothers people when every 30 to 45 seconds you're hearing him say something, and it's usually negative, it tends to wear on folks.

I think if he didn't feel the need to comment on every single thing right as it happens, he could compose his thoughts more appropriately. I think when he's being thoughtful he generally does a great job, when he's reacting and trying to play catch up he tends to ramble into things that might not make total sense.

I think Miller's problem is he talks to much and that's what gets him in trouble. I think he feels he's supposed to react on the fly to things and have a comment for everything that happens, and he doesn't need to. I agree that he gets to be to much to handle in that regard. He has a comment for every lie, every shot, everything. I think that's partially what bothers people when every 30 to 45 seconds you're hearing him say something, and it's usually negative, it tends to wear on folks.

I think if he didn't feel the need to comment on every single thing right as it happens, he could compose his thoughts more appropriately. I think when he's being thoughtful he generally does a great job, when he's reacting and trying to play catch up he tends to ramble into things that might not make total sense.
At one point during the coverage yesterday, he made the comment that he "heard" someone not compress the ball as much as they needed to with a wedge. If he can hear that from where he was, that's amazing.

He's kind of entering late-stage Harry Caray territory in my opinion. Next thing you know, they are going to start letting him drink in the booth and leave after he calls
6 holes.

Looks like GG picked up the win in Group 1! WTG!

I tied with a bunch of people for third.

This is what bothers me the most about him....I can deal with the other stuff because that's his 'brand' to an extent. I don't recall him being as blatant with his feelings towards some golfers as he was this tournament?

My wife watched with me Sunday and was strangely really into it for once, and every time Miller spoke she was like "can he just shut up now he makes no sense" and he commented on Jim Furyk's age about 18 times throughout that round which she thought was again rediculous heh.

That's because the first two days those greens weren't holding and you couldn't hit a draw and keep it on. If you recall on saturday the greens were softer and everything was holding. After those shots held mr. miller adjusted his analysis for how the course was playing.
Just like on sunday when I saw on here people ripping miller for his comment about furyk not compressing his wedge on 16. He said that in regards to distance, not spin, and he was right because furyk didn't catch it clean and didn't carry it as far as he wanted to/needed to.

People don't like johnny, he comes off as a dbag and he does say some really stupid things, I get it and that's fine. We all have people we don't like and that's ok. I just feel like often times people aren't even really listening to him, they're just picking up tid bits and ripping him without the context of the comments. Miller is far from being my favorite broadcaster but I feel like (at least lately) i'm often being put in a position to defend him because i'm not hearing things the same way that other people are hearing them. (I often feel the same way about el tigre)

Oh I listened alright. The best part is the guy calling just about every putt easy.

This is coming from the guy who had the yips so bad he had to retire. All he does is bash people and talk so highly of himself. Couple that with a guy who hears and sees things no mortal could comprehend and you have a guy who should not be kn broadcasting.

At one point during the coverage yesterday, he made the comment that he "heard" someone not compress the ball as much as they needed to with a wedge. If he can hear that from where he was, that's amazing.

That was Furyk's shot. Why wouldn't he be able to hear it since he's listening to the same audio we are on tv and there are mics near where the players hit the ball. You could hear that it sounded a little funny when Furyk hit it. Saying that he "didn't compress the ball" may have not been the accurate choice of words, which is why I said that miller should think a little more and react a little less, but he wasn't totally off his rocker with that comment.

Yeah don't even count mine. 873.000 something. I'm out.

Oh I listened alright. The best part is the guy calling just about every putt easy.

This is coming from the guy who had the yips so bad he had to retire. All he does is bash people and talk so highly of himself. Couple that with a guy who hears and sees things no mortal could comprehend and you have a guy who should not be kn broadcasting.

I don't see it that way, but that's ok. People think he's an egotistical hack, that's fine. We all have on air personalities we dislike, i'm no different. I'm sure if someone was singing brandel chamblee's praises I'd want to throw a hot bowl of soup at them.

That was Furyk's shot. Why wouldn't he be able to hear it since he's listening to the same audio we are on tv and there are mics near where the players hit the ball. You could hear that it sounded a little funny when Furyk hit it. Saying that he "didn't compress the ball" may have not been the accurate choice of words, which is why I said that miller should think a little more and react a little less, but he wasn't totally off his rocker with that comment.
That ball spun off the green if I remember correctly, he had no problem compressing that ball. I also remember him saying numerous times over the weekend "that was hit a groove or 2 low", not to mention like every body else said he kept saying every putt was easy, he just drives me crazy.

Back