2014 #TheGrandaddy - The Event Of A Lifetime

It's 9:35pm on March 22nd 2014 and I still want in this event BADLY!!!!

Let me at those ZooFools!

I hear ya man. I think that same thing each day!

It's 9:35pm on March 22nd 2014 and I still want in this event BADLY!!!!

Let me at those ZooFools!
#ZooFools

That just rolls off the tongue.

Is this the zoo crew??

muppets.jpg

My season started off rough but it taught me something's and I will put those into place and I will be ready to take down the #ZooFools come dos

I dragged myself out in 42* temps and windchill in the mid 30's to prep myself for the battle that will ensue

A lot of people, have a lot of great things to look forward to golf-wise this year. Be it the King, #THPMC, events, invitationals, a lot of people have some very special things on their calendars.

#TheGrandaddy will be added to the calendars of some lucky lucky people! #FingersCrossedEveryone

Nice. I hope you had fun. Those guys are a blast to play with.

It it was a great time. Had a good round. Thinking about doing a write up about it

It it was a great time. Had a good round. Thinking about doing a write up about it

You definitely should. We'd all love to hear about it!

So today I was fortunate enough to join Ethan Ganot and Johnny Rodriguez at Talega Golf Course in San Clemente, CA for a round of golf thanks to Pete Pappas (@thegreekgrind). Hashtag Chad was supposed to be the third and I the fourth but he was unable to make it and another great guy, Ryan, completed our foursome. Before I begin my review, I would first like to thank both Ethan and Johnny for a great round and company on the course.

Got a little lost on the way to the course and traffic was horrible on the way up so instead of getting to the course at least an hour earlier than the tee time, I got there around 1:25pm and rushed to check in and meet the guys. Of Course, since I was there late, the guys were already warming up at the range and after the 3-4 minute drive down the hill I ran into the guys on their way back from the range. Since I hadn't met them before I just looked for two guys in Callaway apparel and said "HI". Guessed right and after exchanging introductions we drove back to the putting green and got ready to tee off (1:52pm tee time).

As we get to the tee I pulled out my phone and turned on my golflogix app. I "might" have mentioned that I was excited for the round and using it as recon for the guys here and right away words were exchanged regarding the #grandaddy. They began asking where the camera was and if Jman had sent me. Also that I couldn't video tape the round as recon. As I had just met the guys I wasn't going to let the smack talk run on the first tee, so instead I piped a drive down the fairway leaving just a GW into first green. Figured that would work better than anything I could think up at the time. Since Ethan knew the fourth in our group, I was sharing a cart with Johnny and believe me, for those of you that haven't met him before, there is never a dull moment with him. Off we went on the first hole and after earning a par on the first hole, we decided to play cart vs cart (in the end I'm not sure who won.)

Over the next four hours the smack talk didn't slow down. Neither man mentioned 11-5 but I do believe I did hear the words "if I had lost that bad, I would be embarassed and would be in hiding". Yeah it was like that. I did tell them that it would be different this year and THP team would definitely show up guns blazing. Johnny said he was an 8 handicap and Ethan said he was a 12 handicap. Both played well and had their good holes and bad holes but in the end, my 83 was low score of the round. Right now, Johnny has a Speeder 661 in his Alpha and is smoking the ball. Ethan is playing a Big Bertha with stock Fubuki (i think) and he was hitting it great. He has a 23* X2Hot hybrid that tempted me even more to put in the bag based on how well he was hitting it. Both recently added Apex Irons to their bags and were adjusting to them nicely.

Overall the round was awesome. Based on today's round I will be using this as starting point for my practice sessions and getting my game ready to earn/qualify for a spot on #thedos. The whole round Johnny kept showing me a tee from "the hideaway" that he used during the #Grandaddy to win his 3 matches. At one point I almost had it in my possession but had an epic fail in my bid to win it from him on the 18th hole. I vowed to win it from him next time so I definitely have motivation to practice more and improve my game. Also I didn't tell the guys this but since I will be working on my birthday this was my birthday round of golf and it was a day to remember. Thank you Ethan and Johnny. Thanks for reading and if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer as best I can. BTW I'm didn't ask Johnny or Ethan about posting this so I hope this doesn't upset them. I will edit it if asked.

Link to Johnny hitting driver on 18th tee:
http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/alez367/media/IMG_2362_zpsa9792c8e.mp4.html

Last edited:
That sounded like a great time, thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a blast Alez367!!

Thanks for sharing!

Sound like a great time. The trash talking never ceases and #thedos will be amazing.

Glad you had a great time. Let them talk now...they don't have much longer to enjoy it.

Thanks alez, nice read!

Great recap sounds like an awesome time.

Great recap Alez and what a birthday! So cool you got to play with Ethan and Johnny!

That's a hell of a day alez! Thanks for sharing

Thanks for that recap dude and good shooting.

Thanks for the write up and good golfing out there.

Thanks for posting Alez, you lucky dog. That had to be a blast. Oh, and glad you took them down. Just a taste of what's to come in the Dos.

Loved the recap of the round! Those two are awesome to be around. 2014: THP - 1, #Zoocrew - 0.

That's a heck of a birthday round. Representing yourself and THP quite nicely. Thanks for the writeup and pics!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write up, I'm glad that a THPer was able to take them up on their offer.

A great recap, and a great taste of what playing with Callaway is all about, I hope I get to experience sometime this year!

sounds like a great day Alez, thanks for sharing

Back