9I's Lesson Journal

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
Today (Feb 11, 2012) marked my first lesson. Before I get into it, I'll go say a little about me, my game, and my goals for the future, short and long term.

About Me
I'm 26 and I've been golfing "seriously" since July 2009. I put seriously in quotations because this was the point I started and actually could hit the ball. I dabbled in golf for many years, but always fought a HUGE slice off the tee. Because of this, I never really played very often. But in the summer of 2009, I received a few helpful tips that allowed me to actually start hitting the ball straight. I still fought the slice, but I could actually get the ball in play so I could progress off the first tee. I started playing more and by spring 2010, I was hooked. Coincidentally, spring 2010 is when I joined THP and after many months of lurking. I played more and more and ended up playing almost once a week. There is a par 3 course not too far from my parent's place that we would frequent. Good prices and a good place to practice. My game slowly got a little better as the summer progressed but then something happened, the wheels fell off and I was struggling again. Unfortunately, it happened while at the THP Fall Outing at PGA National. Winter came not too long after and my swing went into winter mode. I started back up again in March 2011 with some testing for the Rescue 11 for THP but I was still plagued with my bad swing.

And that is how things stayed for 2011. I got married and bought a house and never felt I had the time to really do anything about my swing. This lead to many frustrations on and off the course to the point where I just wanted to quit. That was late fall 2011. At this point, I took a self imposed hiatus from golf and THP and just tried not to think of it.

The problem with that was that I love to play golf. After much soul searching I realized that all my frustrations were of my own making with my inability to just accept the fact that I needed lessons. I got excited about the game again and booked my lesson for today and made my triumphant return to the game.

My Goals
Let's face it, I'm not going to end up on Tour. While it would be nice, it's just not going to happen. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy the game and shoot good scores. The first goal, and the one that's definitely attainable is breaking 100. I've never really come close, but that's my starting point and my main goal for 2012. Lessons here are the key and with them, I feel 100% confident that I will reach this goal this year. From there, the goal moves to breaking 90. I would be more than happy if I can get my handicap to the 15-18 range. Averaging bogey per hole would not be the end of the world for me. I won't know if I'm capable of doing better than that yet, so that's where the goals end for now. If I can reach my handicap goals this year, great, if not. I know I will eventually. Breaking 100 is the first hurdle that I'm focused on.

The Lesson (2/11/12)
I arrive for my 10 am lesson on time, but the pro, Bruce, was still finishing the lesson before me so I went into another simulator bay to warm up. I selected my 6 iron and after a few stretches was hitting it dead straight. I mean I could not have hit it any straighter. I was pretty impressed and figured that it was going to be a great day. I hit about 7 more shots all very good and with average distance for that club. Bruce had since finished and I moved over to his bay.

He asked me a little about myself and my game and then asked me to hit a few balls with my 7 iron. I lined myself up and proceeded to shank the ball to the right. D'oh!! I swore emphatically that I was just hitting balls dead straight but he shrugged it off and asked me to hit a couple more. More of the same results followed.

He then showed me the video of my swing and started breaking down what he saw. Basically I was standing to close to the ball and I was leaning forward as I swung. I've always been more prone to hit the heel of the club and to see my head slide 2-3 inches toward the ball as I swung was a real eye-opener.

With the new direction in place he set up me up an inch or two away from the ball and really made me lower my hand to lower the shaft plane. Before, I would set up with the club head level to the ground. He said I should set up with the toe in the air as the flex of the shaft will bend to the ground as I hit the ball, essentially making it level at impact. I felt very hunched over and awkward as he set me up like this, hitting the ball seemed impossible. And for the first couple shots it was. So we began the 9-3 lesson to work on getting my swing plane on line. He also adjusted my grip a little.

I was using the grip I had learn from the grip-it rite training aid I had bought last year. He didn't change my grip a lot, but he did tell me to strengthen my grip with my left hand so my first two knuckles are visible and to grip with my right over top with the "v's" from my thumbs to point over my right shoulder. All this really came together while hitting 9-3. The ball was going quite straight and it definitely felt less awkward the more I did it. Even managed to pull one off that Bruce said was hit perfectly. The camera was rolling on that one too, even better!

At this point he assembled the video for me to take home and I've uploaded it to YouTube and attached it below. My swing looks a lot different comparing my first swing to what he showed me. It's all for the better though! I've booked three more lessons (Feb 18, 25, and 29) and I'll be updating this thread after each one. Hopefully after those three, I'll be able to get outside for some more. So Mother Nature, if you're reading this, please cut me a break!

Here's the video from today. Sound quality may not be the best so you may have to turn your speakers up.

Comments, questions? Please let me know!

I like it, Mike! It's a real good feeling, isn't it? I have no doubt you can get that 100 mark beaten pretty quickly this year by sticking with the lessons. At your level, you'll be amazed at how many strokes you can drop with just a couple simple changes like that. Great job!

Last edited:
Great job dude! If you keep it up like this I'm sure you'll reach your goals pretty soon! I can't wait to follow your progress.

This is going to be awesome to follow. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement guys!! I'm super excited right now, can't wait to keep going!

Great results after 1 lesson! Glad to follow along with you on this journey.

Makes me want to do the same thing.

Way to go Mike!!! Glad to see you seem to like the instructor ( a big key) and you booked more lessons. I hope you stick with it and enjoy the game once again. :thumb:

Looking better already. keep at it man. congrats

Looks like a great lesson! I love the lesson videos. WTG Mike!

I've been wondering where you've been! Glad to see things are going well.

Mike you got it by the, er golf balls now buddy :clapp:! Remember baby steps and don't expect this to happen overnight. I am proud of ya!

Thanks to all!

Way to go Mike!!! Glad to see you seem to like the instructor ( a big key) and you booked more lessons. I hope you stick with it and enjoy the game once again. :thumb:

No worries there, I'll be sticking with this to the end! The pro really seems like a great guy which really helps. AG watched the lessona and feels the same way.

Looks like a great lesson! I love the lesson videos. WTG Mike!

The video is awesome. Helps a lot. I've watched it at least a dozen times already and will be watching many more times before Saturday!

Mike you got it by the, er golf balls now buddy :clapp:! Remember baby steps and don't expect this to happen overnight. I am proud of ya!

After rushing around for so long, I've realized the importance of taking it slow. I'm not expecting miracles overnight. The plan is to stick with it and have good things come of it. Got some time to build up the swing before spring so I'm in no rush.

Cant wait to watch this one later tonight Mike. Good read too buddy!!!

Very cool.....big strides with lesson 1 already!

Cool thread! This is gonna been fun to follow your progress.

Lesson #2 is tomorrow afternoon, be sure to keep an eye out for my write up afterwards! Thanks again to everyone who's commented so far!

Just saw this. The change in the video by itself looks great. Keep with it and I'm sure you'll see results in no time!

Lesson #2 is tomorrow afternoon, be sure to keep an eye out for my write up afterwards! Thanks again to everyone who's commented so far!

Lookin forward to it Mike! I finally watched your video and I like it dude.

The Lesson (2/18/12)

Golf is a game of highs and lows. From the high that was last weeks lesson, this week came a low. Over the course of the week, I had developed an inside take away. Not fully sure how this happened, but it happened just the same. And the majority of todays lesson was trying to fix it.

Today's first drill was to help me rotate the club though at impact. Bruce had me grip the club with my right hand a good hand's width lower to promote the rotation. This felt quite strange, like trying to swing a hockey stick, but it really emphasized the rotation through the swing. After a few swings using the "hockey stick" grip Bruce returned me to normal and pretty decent results followed.

After that, we started working on my actual swing again to try to stop the inside take away and swing more upright. I was swinging more around myself which was leading to issues. First Bruce had me grip down on the club so only my left hand was on the grip. He then instructed me to take away the club from the ball and once I got to "9", cock my wrists, bring the club up. The purpose of gripping down was to emphasize the wrist cock to see the butt end of the grip move out. This had mixed results as my hips weren't following my shoulders. So from there, he got me to stick the butt end of the shaft at my belly button and grip the club down on the shaft. The purpose being to get my hips to follow my shoulders as I take the club from the ball. I was to pull back back until the 8:30 position or so. This was quite awkward, but after a few attempts I started to get the hang of it.

Unfortunately after I started gripping the club normally again and taking swings again, I was still pulling the club away inside again so Bruce then instructed me to focus on the take away. This involved taking the club straight back until I got to 8:30 again. This felt very strange as it felt that I had to reach to do this. I never really mastered it and it felt awkward to do every time even though Bruce told me I was doing good. And that is where we left off. He told me to practice that take away for the next lesson.

So overall, I finished today's lesson at about the same place I finished last week. This kinda bums me out, but Rome was not built in a day and neither will my swing. I've got three years of swinging badly on me so I've got some work to do to break those bad habits. No video today as he said my swing from last week was where we needed to get back to. With a little practice, I'm sure we'll get there again. The main thing I'll have to do is make sure I don't start over thinking what Bruce is teaching me. I have an issue of getting ahead of myself sometimes so to ensure I reach my goals, I'll have to make sure I take it slow and stick with it. Good things will happen.

Questions? Comments? You know what to do! Thanks for reading!

The Lesson (2/18/12)

After that, we started working on my actual swing again to try to stop the inside take away and swing more upright. I was swinging more around myself which was leading to issues.

Unfortunately after I started gripping the club normally again and taking swings again, I was still pulling the club away inside again so Bruce then instructed me to focus on the take away.

Questions? Comments? You know what to do! Thanks for reading!

Take a look at this thread (post # 75) and I think it might help you concerning taking the club back on the inside:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?27899-Swinging-on-plane/page8

Keep plugging away buddy and it will happen!

Mike, that happens buddy. Sounds to me like you did a very common thing - too much of a good thing. You flattened your swing out a little at the first lesson and your subconscious figures it would be good to keep flattening it until you are where you are now. It's not easy buddy, but stick with it!

Oh man what a week it's been! Found out I'm heading to Cedar Rapids IA for a business trip next week on Tuesday and it's been crazy at work ever since! With my trip next week, I've had to move my forth lesson (Feb 29) to March 10. Lesson three is tomorrow at 10:30 tomorrow. Write up to follow as always. Haven't had too much opportunity to practice at home, so it may be an interesting lesson. Hopefully things fall together. I do know what I need to do so I'm quite optimistic actually. Looking forward to moving forward.

Mike, that happens buddy. Sounds to me like you did a very common thing - too much of a good thing. You flattened your swing out a little at the first lesson and your subconscious figures it would be good to keep flattening it until you are where you are now. It's not easy buddy, but stick with it!

This was an excellent post Ryan, thank you. Too much a good things lakes so much sense. This really just clicked for me. I know what I need to do, hopefully I can put it into effect for my swing!

How long you in CR? You know that's about an hour and 20 minutes from me.

Back