Age Limit For Flat Brim?

I know I'm getting old. In fact, I'm only about a half sand wedge away from patrolling my front porch so I can tell the bratty neighbor kids to "get off my lawn" (imagine Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino). In that spirit...

The other day our regular weekend group was in the clubhouse sharing post-round observations of golf's most recent injustices. Sittiing to my immediate right was a guy I would peg to be in his late 30s/early 40s. Nothing remarkable about him, other than he was sporting a Puma over-the-ears/flat-brimmed cap. It wasn't Sunday neon orange, but everything else about this guy wreaked of Fowler.

I like Rickie. I was happy to see him win a few weeks ago, and think he's great for the game. I think it's cute to see the young kids in his gallery Fowlered up from head to toe. But shouldn't be there an age limit? Rickie is the pied piper, but at some point isn't it a little uncool to be a middle-aged dude skipping behind him?

And as long as I'm at it, what about backwards cap guy? When I was in college backwards cap wearing was just coming into vogue, but now some of these guys are north of 50. Shouldn't there be a point at which it's time to turn the cap around and look like a grown-up?

Like I said, I'm getting old, but still...

I think you've got a better argument for the backwards hat than the flat brimmed.

I think I look dumb with both on my head, but the flat brimmed is more of a style than it is anything else, no? As long as it doesn't have a sticker on the top of it telling me what size it is, I don't really have an issue.

I put a flat brim hat on that I received as a freebie, and my 4 year old called it a silly looking hat, and that I needed to squeeze it (the brim that is).

It's great for working in the yard.

I think once you turn 13 the flat brim should be out.
Aye man, slow your roll. A lot of high school kids, imcluding me sometimes wear flat brim hats, and sometimes backwards. Now, i dont do this on the course, but still.

Aye man, slow your roll. A lot of high school kids, imcluding me sometimes wear flat brim hats, and sometimes backwards. Now, i dont do this on the course, but still.

a lot of high school kids also wear their pants so low that their entire rear end is exposed

I could not agree more!!! It is amazing how far (and not in a good way) that we have come as a society. It wasn't that long ago that men were expected to wear a jacket and hat outdoors. It is simply false to believe that people aren't judged by their appearance. Here is a rule I live by... always dress up! It is very rare that anyone is ever looked at less favorably because they dressed up.

Now to answer the OP question. 7 is too old! :D

Im with the Doc. He is dead on.

Ironically, only in the world of golf would we hear "you better have the game to backup that outfit".
My rule is and always will be "Act as if".

This thread is hilarious!

If I get on the actual computer soon I'll give my opinion, as I think both points have validity.

Again, LOL this thread!

Tappin' on my Thunderbolt

It doesn't bother me, if they want to wear one, wear one, the goofier you look the bigger laugh I'll get.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Man I'm glad none of you live by me. I'm not sure I could take all the abuse for wearing flat brims and wearing them backward. I'm 31, and see no issue with wearing a flat brim. I will wear them backwards too. Guess I'm just a thug kid, who doesn't care/respect people and is trying to be too young.

I still don't get why so many people care. Anthony Kim wears a flat-brim, Charles Howell wears a flat brim. No one cares they do and I don't get this obsession people have with going out of there way to be sure the person wearing it knows how stupid they think it is. I was in Golf Galaxy spring of '11 right before Rickie really began to become a media superstar and everyone began to really talk about his clothes. And I was looking at some of the Puma gear and the flat brim hats. This older gentleman (70's) came up and was looking at the stuff beside me. I had my black monoline on backwards. He said to me, "I really like this kids style, but I just can't wear a hat like that" I responded with, "never know you might look good in it, should try one on sometime". He responded with I might...but I just don't see why people care so much...

And I don't know why I keep getting sucked into these threads, I know how everyone of them will go...

Man I'm glad none of you live by me. I'm not sure I could take all the abuse for wearing flat brims and wearing them backward. I'm 31, and see no issue with wearing a flat brim. I will wear them backwards too. Guess I'm just a thug kid, who doesn't care/respect people and is trying to be too young.

I still don't get why so many people care. Anthony Kim wears a flat-brim, Charles Howell wears a flat brim. No one cares they do and I don't get this obsession people have with going out of there way to be sure the person wearing it knows how stupid they think it is. I was in Golf Galaxy spring of '11 right before Rickie really began to become a media superstar and everyone began to really talk about his clothes. And I was looking at some of the Puma gear and the flat brim hats. This older gentleman (70's) came up and was looking at the stuff beside me. I had my black monoline on backwards. He said to me, "I really like this kids style, but I just can't wear a hat like that" I responded with, "never know you might look good in it, should try one on sometime". He responded with I might...but I just don't see why people care so much...

And I don't know why I keep getting sucked into these threads, I know how everyone of them will go...

To be fair PD. Nobody would ever know that AK or Thurston Howell wears a flat brim because they do not play golf on the weekends. :act-up:

To be fair PD. Nobody would ever know that AK or Thurston Howell wears a flat brim because they do not play golf on the weekends. :act-up:

Zing!!!!

My new hat.

hat1c.jpg

And since flat brims are back, can someone tell me when this will be cool again? I mean seriously. Bring back tight rolled jeans, Z Cavericcis, etc. Anything has to be better than seeing some dudes ass because its cool to not pull your pants up right?

Spoiler
iceLFI1104_468x762.jpg

I used to think there was an age limit. Then, one of our reps came in wearing a flat brim (this is a tattooed, hip looking guy, with long hair). He totally worked it and it looked good. I thought he was about my age, but he has a kid that is in college - so he's older than I am (and I'm in my mid-30s). Changed my mind right there. But, do I think Mr. Blind 9 can rock it? Not-so-much. My dad? Only in the original-Ping-old-man kind of way (Koreans call them ah-ji-shi). I can't imagine my dad with the Puma flat brim. That would be ridiculous (he's 73).

I'll give you that one JB. Well done!

Tight, rolled up jeans are very much back JB. I'd say they're more common than those wearing their pants very low. At least I see much more of them.

Tight, rolled up jeans are very much back JB. I'd say they're more common than those wearing their pants very low. At least I see much more of them.

Not the same thing as I was referring to dude. Those from the 80s and early 90s will know exactly what I am discussing.

JB.. Albatross hat 2013 edition??

Man I'm glad none of you live by me. I'm not sure I could take all the abuse for wearing flat brims and wearing them backward. I'm 31, and see no issue with wearing a flat brim. I will wear them backwards too. Guess I'm just a thug kid, who doesn't care/respect people and is trying to be too young...

the thing is though.... you do live near people who think like some of the posters here.. but they're too polite to say things directly to your face about it.

some of them may be going into the starter and ask not to be paired with you

it doesn't make what they do right, or how you dress wrong, but how you dress will create a reaction amongst other people, no matter how you choose to dress

Not the same thing as I was referring to dude. Those from the 80s and early 90s will know exactly what I am discussing.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. Silly hipsters.

a lot of high school kids also wear their pants so low that their entire rear end is exposed

only a**hole's do that..

The way a man dresses is an opportunity to represent himself. If a guy want's to portray an image, that's his business. How I perceive him because of it, is mine.

Wow, 21 people currently browsing this thread... I had to jump on the home computer to give thoughts :act-up:

In the corporate world it is very important to dress appropriately. Not dressing right for an interview will get you rejected quickly, because people want to see that you take the situation/opportunity seriously. But that's not what this thread is all about... but I wouldn't wear a flat brimmed hat to an interview.... or a hat at all.... or sweatpants.... or a tee shirt.... or bellbottoms.... or ripped jeans.... you get the point.

Personally, I'm 29 and don't wear flat brimmed hats because my noggin is huge enough without one :bulgy-eyes: , but they have grown on me as far as style goes. I think that there is probably an age limit to who SHOULD wear them and look appropriate, but there will always be people wanting to look younger and folks who can get away with anything stylistically ((style-list-tic-ly)--yeah, I think I made that word up). 3 months ago I'm pretty sure I made the comment that they look silly, but now I don't think so. If you wanna rock it, rock it.

I think the more pressing question is, why is Rickie sporting that Magnum PI mustache? He looks like he should be hanging out the side of a panel van offering free candy to children...

31? Boy we need to get a beer sometime. I'm only 45 minutes south of you.

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

the thing is though.... you do live near people who think like some of the posters here.. but they're too polite to say things directly to your face about it.

some of them may be going into the starter and ask not to be paired with you

it doesn't make what they do right, or how you dress wrong, but how you dress will create a reaction amongst other people, no matter how you choose to dress

And thats prefectly fine that they don't want to be and I probably wouldn't enjoy a round with them anyway because, to me thats short sided thinking. I very rarely get paired with anyone anyway because I rarely go at times that will get me paired with anyone. If they don't want to be paired with me because of a hat, then they are missing out on a great time and probably some laughs. It amazes me that people would let something as simple as a hat judge someone.

And thats prefectly fine that they don't want to be and I probably wouldn't enjoy a round with them anyway because, to me thats short sided thinking. I very rarely get paired with anyone anyway because I rarely go at times that will get me paired with anyone. If they don't want to be paired with me because of a hat, then they are missing out on a great time and probably some laughs. It amazes me that people would let something as simple as a hat judge someone.

PD,
You are entirely right. I mean anybody that would wear pants to the THP outing in FL is pretty crazy. I like crazy and you are a great dude. But truthfully, it happens all the time...Right or wrong. Ever seen an older lady on the first tee and thinking I hope I dont get paired with them? They might have crazy good game, but we hear it every week. I mean while its not a hat, its still judging on appearance. Let me preface this by saying that Playdough might love or cherish his time playing with "meemaws" and personally I do too, but some people might judge.

Back