Allen Iverson - Sad Example

this dude needs an Excel spreadsheet

Ha, what's funny (not so much), is you could replace his name and increase the figures and you would have one "United States Government"...

this dude needs an Excel spreadsheet

That or one of those programs where they mail you your food every week. Even if he spent a grand a month in that, he's still saving 9 grand right there.

Wow, to think that selling that maybach would only pay one months worth of bills is mind blowing

I am in the same mindset as Jarret on this one

LOL

mini-giraffe.jpg
Awesome!

heh, I don't think anyone is spending the day ripping him up.

You're most likely right about some areas being terribly educated (I don't have the stats on that either) and I think it's awful. Pushing a youth forward due to his athletic skills rather than educating him is downright horrible, and it's one thing that leads me to dislike a lot of college sports. College scholarships for the "allen iverson's" of the world rather than some of the brightest young minds out there.
I agree with the latter in a sense. But those Allen Iversons keep seats in those bleechers which in turn grows colleges. Its needed IMHO. I just think every college sport should require 3 years of play before they can move to the next level.

What an idiot. He is digging himself in to a $250,000 hole each and every month, and does nothing about it. There is no if's and's or but's about it, the guy is a complete idiot.
perfect timing btw
It does not matter to any of us I dont believe Jarret. None of us here I dont believe have a relationship with AI that would allow them to change this at all. But this is a forum where people express opinions (or anything else that they are like) about the posts on the board. The "athlete who earned millions but is now bankrupt" thread is obviously one where some people have various and differing opinions and that is ok. Just like you find it odd to spend your day making fun of people in AI's situation, others enjoy voicing their thoughts about such issues. Neither one is right or wrong, simply both sides utilizing this place for what it is intended, fun banter and conversation on various topics.
I never said you shouldnt voice your opinion.
I am in the same mindset as Jarret on this one
I like you

If only he had practiced..............

Actually, I think AI is a bad example of a bankrupt pro athlete. This information came from a divorce settlement. Naturally, he tries to hide how much money he really makes.

I have read somewhere else than TMZ that AI had 30m dollars put away in a bank account that he has no access to until he reaches a certain age. He does however get the interest of something like 1m Dollars annually.
So he gets $1m/year practically for the rest of his life until he gets access to his "savings". Obviously, we don't know that AI won't blow that money away as soon as he can access it but for now he is one of the "smarter" guys with his mone.

Personally, I would never touch that bank account and live happily off the interest for the rest of my life.

He's helping the economy though.

Actually, I think AI is a bad example of a bankrupt pro athlete. This information came from a divorce settlement. Naturally, he tries to hide how much money he really makes.

I have read somewhere else than TMZ that AI had 30m dollars put away in a bank account that he has no access to until he reaches a certain age. He does however get the interest of something like 1m Dollars annually.
So he gets $1m/year practically for the rest of his life until he gets access to his "savings". Obviously, we don't know that AI won't blow that money away as soon as he can access it but for now he is one of the "smarter" guys with his mone.

Personally, I would never touch that bank account and live happily off the interest for the rest of my life.

If this is true his creditors will be getting some of that now, so he's still screwed.

I agree with the latter in a sense. But those Allen Iversons keep seats in those bleechers which in turn grows colleges. Its needed IMHO. I just think every college sport should require 3 years of play before they can move to the next level.

I see what you mean, and I suppose it's a necessary evil.. They should go a step further though, and actually educate these athletes in the time they have them haha! Maybe AI wouldn't be in such a bad way right now! Who knows how much schooling he actually had to take part in! Certainly not me..

that's disgusting.

I'm certain the 3rd year would not have done him much good.

But I certainly would like to see it go up to 3 years from the 1 and done in BB thats for sure.

Sounds like AI needs to do a huge sell off.

or an intervention. just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it. moron.

I see what you mean, and I suppose it's a necessary evil.. They should go a step further though, and actually educate these athletes in the time they have them haha! Maybe AI wouldn't be in such a bad way right now! Who knows how much schooling he actually had to take part in! Certainly not me..
no doubt....and FWIW...I think its lame the dude can blow through that kind of money. Someone should slap him.

I think this is a prime example of how we can banter and disagree and it not get out of hand.

I'm certain the 3rd year would not have done him much good.

But I certainly would like to see it go up to 3 years from the 1 and done in BB thats for sure.

I agree with both

Seems to be a fairly common story in professional sports. Sign for $1 million bonus doesn't mean you have $1 million. It's more likely $300k after taxes, agent and all lthe other crap. That means don't go buy $300k car.

Don't feel sorry for him one bit.

I don't feel bad one bit for this clown! To much money for these young people to manage in the early years, which often leads to financial irresponsibility.

Saw him in an Atlanta mall in 2003 with a big entourage all carrying shopping bags. Good to see he kept it up!

Pretty soon he and TO will be in the welfare line together.

This is becoming the new "norm" with wealthy athletes. Big checks start coming in when they are young and they think they can live that lifestyle forever. I think every athlete, both college and pro, should be required to take classes on managing money. The leagues need to figure out a way to set their players up for life. Instead of giving them millions up front, give them half and put the rest in an IRA or some other account they cannot touch. Set them up with financial managers that the league chooses, not the athletes. Most of these athletes get caught up with idiots that don't provide any help whatsoever. I know in the end it's their money and they can do with it what they please, but there's a new athlete every few months that made millions and is now broke. I know common sense doesn't come natural to a lot of people, but I think with proper guidance a lot of these athletes could set themselves up for life instead of 10 years.

Back