America stinks at golf?

Im not sure. Money plays a role, but athletes at this level want to play against the best competition.

I agree, the competition is a factor, so is the notoriety of playing on a bigger stage. It's just a no-brainer though to come over here and be a field-filling millionaire.

Funny thing is I think St Andrews is on the Open rota because of history and not quality. I don't think anyone would be ripping up the likes of Carnoustie and Royal Aberdeen no matter what tour its on.
I take onboard all your points, great topic,can't wait for the RC as I actually prefer to watch that format rather than stroke play.

Funny thing is I think St Andrews is on the Open rota because of history and not quality. I don't think anyone would be ripping up the likes of Carnoustie and Royal Aberdeen no matter what tour its on.
I take onboard all your points, great topic,can't wait for the RC as I actually prefer to watch that format rather than stroke play.

Sure, but the same can be said for dozens of courses here.

While I do agree with you about the depth, I think the reason you see that is more for money and not competition.

But this proves the point too, IMO.
The best players want to play where there is more money... The PGA has more money, therefore it attracts the best golfers from europe. More good golfers means that the fields are deeper and the competition is better.

While I do agree with you about the depth, I think the reason you see that is more for money and not competition.

While I agree that money may play a part, the reasoning for their choice of tours doesn't really change the fact that there appears to be many good international players come to the US tour and very few good US players choose to play the Euro tour as their exclusive tour.

Ditto, rxgus.

this is a pretty funny comment coming from Westwood considering his history, hopefully it was just playful banter for the Ryder Cup. and comparing the PGA tour to the Euro tour is like comparing the NBA to the WNBA.

FIFY

Kevin

I love this thread.

For those talking about the weather being the only reason a course plays difficult (eg Old Course).....isn't that part of the challenge of playing the game of golf?? I think it's the main thing missing from (the events I see) the PGA, not enough variety in conditions to test the players. This may be a reason that a lot of US stars and great players struggle on this side of the pond.

There's no debate from me on the strength of the tours. Players will always gravitate to where the money is, and the top guys will want to prove themselves against the competition. Top 30 every week in the PGA will have you living in luxury in no time, but struggling to keep up the car repayments in Europe. I get the feeling that there are a few players on the PGA not helping the image by being comfortable in this position. Not that I'd blame them, but if these guys wanted to play to win, they might be better taking a stint in Europe or Asia for experience.

This could go on for ages, and it stokes up some great interest in the Ryder cup! Bring it on, weaklings! :wink:

Europeans dress funny.

Kevin

Canadians talk funny.

Kevin

Just because we sell clothes in a medium size doesn't make them funny! :wink:

westwood's having fun. you gotta have some fun when you blow all your tournaments away like he has

You guys are lucky the ryder cup isnt a 3 way battle against canadians:silly:

I don't think Mike Weir would make a difference

Lee's attitude is great, thats why to me he is much more interesting than Tiger or Phil. Same canned responses every interview, etc. Phil has got much better over the years but he still seems pretty bleh to me.

It's a good job the rankings are loaded towards the PGA if this is the reaction we are going to get when years of dominance starts to come under a little pressure. All this over a throwaway gag at a presentation? Sheesh

Lee is the most consistent player in the world by a mile right now. Rankings keep the US sponsors/fans happy and their eyes dry but real golf fans know the truth. However, obviously the US are far away from stinking at golf, there's a plethora of talent on both tours and golf is growing all the time which is great news. I'm sure it won't be long before the next US generation break through and start taking Majors but I am doubtful the current crop of the best Euros will now. Casey, Poults, Rose, Lee, Sergio et al just don't seem to be able to get over the line and for that I have no logical explanation because they are no different to any recent Major winners. Especially the penultimate one of course.

If anyone is going to get it done it will a young lad from Northern Ireland.

So don't worry, the US doesn't suck, Euros have a sense of humour and a mischevious nature and the Majors will go to more US players than anywhere else.

....I am doubtful the current crop of the best Euros will now. Casey, Poults, Rose, Lee, Sergio et al just don't seem to be able to get over the line...

Pants are too tight. Euro-fashion is holding them back.

Kevin

Pants are too tight. Euro-fashion is holding them back.

Kevin

That could be it - after all these years worrying about ball striking and a good putting stroke too. Such a waste when all they needed was baggy pants - khaki Kevin?

I only ask as when I become their agent and reveal my secret (well yours) I'll need that last detail to seal the deal and my millions. I won't forget you though so don't worry...you'll get your cut bud. I'll make sure they throw away all those Under Armour leggings too, go PJ bottoms!!! It's the way forward.

Back