Ben Hogan PTx Irons Review Thread

Excited to read the thoughts from the first guys I know to have a chance to put these into play. Really curious if the v-sole had a discernible difference versus your normal irons as it relates to turf interaction.

Also curious as to thoughts around flighting the ball. These irons are marketed to have different trajectories depending on the loft and being one that doesn't flight very well.....were these easier to flight down or did you happen to notice a lower ball flight with the clubs inside 150?

I was able to test these out on the range two days ago and again on the range yesterday before the round. Have tested UST Recoil only so far, but do have both sets (steel and graphite). First look laying side by side the Callaway Apex CF 16, these irons are noticeably smaller in overall size and the differences do not stop there. Both have mass centered directly behind the ball at impact, but while the sole is similar, the beveled shape is very different from the more rounded of my current irons. The leading edge is a bit sharper, but neither are very rounded or dull.

THe look is outstanding, but I will be honest and say I am the guy that just does not care for the loft numbers. I understand others like it, and that's great, however it is not my thing. I also understand the reasons they are doing it, but to me it drives me batty. I hit them well both times, they have a deeper thwack sound to them compared to my current irons. Some will like that, others might not. To me I thought it was fine. Impact was good and I have always felt as though on partial swings especially, the sole design helps with contact.

Due to being at the range, I did not try to really flight the ball much. Flighting it lower was no issue (its not with my current set either) and I think golfers that like to move the ball around will have no issue doing so, like many sets out there. I know the main question everybody wants to know is forgiveness. They are marginally forgiving. I wont have more than that until they hit the course this week (they do that on Wednesday).

To sum it up, they perform as well as I think people expected them to. They look classic and have an elegant design and finish to them and if you like smaller club heads in a tight package, this might be the irons for you when they hit stores.

More reason I want into the Hogan event. Badly.

Thanks for the input Jman! I'm very anxious to try these irons! What better way than at the THP event?????

Im JB. Jman is the other guy, and a more talented reviewer and writer.

Im JB. Jman is the other guy, and a more talented reviewer and writer.

My apologies! Read one thing typed another!!

That's some solid feedback. Having gamed the z545s I like the v sole. The look for these from the in hand pics are pure beauty and I don't have a problem looking at a smaller iron head.

I'm sure seeing the loft vice a number would take getting use to especially since outside of my pw I rarely know,the loft of my irons but I actually look it.

I was able to test these out on the range two days ago and again on the range yesterday before the round. Have tested UST Recoil only so far, but do have both sets (steel and graphite). First look laying side by side the Callaway Apex CF 16, these irons are noticeably smaller in overall size and the differences do not stop there. Both have mass centered directly behind the ball at impact, but while the sole is similar, the beveled shape is very different from the more rounded of my current irons. The leading edge is a bit sharper, but neither are very rounded or dull.

THe look is outstanding, but I will be honest and say I am the guy that just does not care for the loft numbers. I understand others like it, and that's great, however it is not my thing. I also understand the reasons they are doing it, but to me it drives me batty. I hit them well both times, they have a deeper thwack sound to them compared to my current irons. Some will like that, others might not. To me I thought it was fine. Impact was good and I have always felt as though on partial swings especially, the sole design helps with contact.

Due to being at the range, I did not try to really flight the ball much. Flighting it lower was no issue (its not with my current set either) and I think golfers that like to move the ball around will have no issue doing so, like many sets out there. I know the main question everybody wants to know is forgiveness. They are marginally forgiving. I wont have more than that until they hit the course this week (they do that on Wednesday).

To sum it up, they perform as well as I think people expected them to. They look classic and have an elegant design and finish to them and if you like smaller club heads in a tight package, this might be the irons for you when they hit stores.

Excellent initial thoughts JB. Really appreciate it, especially the comments regarding the size. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Regarding the lofts. If these work out for me, I think I'll be removed the paintfill from the lofts and having the iron # stamped on the sole. I'm sure I could adjust over time, but not sure I want to :)

Last edited:
Funny thing, I was showing my wife the picture of the new iron (as their company is in our neighborhood) and she said, "very pretty but why did they put Donald Trumps picture on them?". I said, "no dear, that's Ben Hogan wearing a golf cap".:dohanim:

JB - was feel about the same through the different clubs or could you tell a difference with the different center of gravity or with the long irons being hollow?

JB - was feel about the same through the different clubs or could you tell a difference with the different center of gravity or with the long irons being hollow?

Have not spent a ton of time with the long irons as of yet. That will happen on Wednesday.

Have not spent a ton of time with the long irons as of yet. That will happen on Wednesday.
Thanks. I'm curious about that CG, too. In another thread there was talk of zero CG affecting feel off the face. I was wondering if a similar thing could happen here.

Are these around the same, size profile as the Scor wedges?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Are these around the same, size profile as the Scor wedges?

Similar, yes. Larger sole than the Scors, but not by much.

My best way to sum these irons up was this;

A perfect iron for someone who likes playing smaller irons, that shouldn't be playing smaller irons.

By that I mean... They are more compact than some of the more popular sets out there at the moment, however, they felt very forgiving across the face, and we're just smooth to hit and get up in the air. Didn't notice anything to penalizing with a miss with these.

Solid set of irons that was fun to hit. Like JB, the lofts being stamped there annoyed me as I would prefer just to have the number stamped instead, but i do think it's kind of cool what they are doing with the yardage card etc.

Thats good to hear, since I hit my Scor's very well. Thanks!

War/JB.....are they more on size to the 745's or smaller?

I dont have the 745s so hard to do direct comparison. My gut says larger sole slightly and similar or smaller heel to toe.

A perfect iron for someone who likes playing smaller irons, that shouldn't be playing smaller irons.

By that I mean... They are more compact than some of the more popular sets out there at the moment, however, they felt very forgiving across the face, and we're just smooth to hit and get up in the air. Didn't notice anything to penalizing with a miss with these.

Solid set of irons that was fun to hit. Like JB, the lofts being stamped there annoyed me as I would prefer just to have the number stamped instead, but i do think it's kind of cool what they are doing with the yardage card etc.
That description makes it sound like these will be VERY popular on THP.

That description makes it sound like these will be VERY popular on THP.

I think they might be.
That and combine it with a number of THPers getting to experience that event.

I would say similar in size, larger sole though.

Hi, I think that's me!

I'm one who had problems with the Scors digging on full shots, especially in softer conditions. On the other hand, I had no issue with the sole on the 545s when I tested them but of course they are much wider. Sounds like the Hogans are still pretty narrow - any observations of turf interaction versus the Scors?

I'm one who had problems with the Scors digging on full shots, especially in softer conditions. On the other hand, I had no issue with the sole on the 545s when I tested them but of course they are much wider. Sounds like the Hogans are still pretty narrow - any observations of turf interaction versus the Scors?

No issues whatsoever for me. If you liked the sole of the 545s, you will like the soles of these in my opinion. I should add that they are smaller than the 545s however.

Nice initial thoughts, JB and War. Looking forward to some more insight after Wednesday's round, JB.

Back