Blind Ball Testing Review Thread

Good vids Hawk! Nice to see that these are performing well.

Just got caught up on this thread and the testers that have had these out thus far are doing a great job. Very interesting that this seems to be consistently shorter off the putter while the same/longer throughout the rest of the set. Looking forward to reading more!

Tim, you did a very nice job for your first write up. Very thorough.

Sounds like you were seeing some pretty good spin as well.

Tim, you did a very nice job for your first write up. Very thorough.

Sounds like you were seeing some pretty good spin as well.

Thanks Hawk,,,yes I did see good action off the wedges with the Ball X especially on those shots you were talking about the 50-75 yarders, I got really aggressive and with a nice low ball flight and I was really seeing the ball bounce once or twice and really put on the breaks!!! Like you said, not as spinny as a ProV1(which is why I don't play those) but nice consitent stopping power.

Love the vids by the way, wish I had a short game area like that around here.

It poured here today and that killed my chances at getting to the practice green. I have been putting indoors and at first the ball felt harsh. But I think I was just not having a good stroke. After about an hour it actually started to feel pretty decent. I compared it to the Cally I(s) and it was pretty comparable IMO in terms of softness. Used 3 different putters and actually liked it best off of the TM Daytona Rossa with steel insert. Felt real nice. Not too mushy but definitely not rock hard either

I love these reviews and reading every ones thoughts on these balls. It deff shows how the same ball works diff for every one

I'm really enjoying reading about this ball and I'm even more interested to find out what kind it is. The only thing that bothers me so far is that I absolutely LOVE the way the Penta feels off a putter, and it sounds like this ball does not have that same feel according to WE. I will be interested to see what everyone elses thoughts are after putting with these balls. Great write-ups guys!
I love the way the Penta feels as well, this ball feels different than the Penta while putting to me. Not better, not worse, just different.

Overall

I didn't see a noticeable difference in distance on my Driver, fairway woods, hybrids or irons...just a little short on putts...but after about 3 holes I got used to that and Ball X rolls very pure. I would say I was impressed with Ball X for my first round...shot 42 front and 44 back for an 86, not bad for a course I havent played in like 5 years.

I'm not ready to say I like this ball better than my ProV1x yet, it's only one round...but the highest compliment I can give it right now is I don't think I would have scored any better with my regular ball.

I have short game practice tomorrow and I will probably play 18 late in the day when there is not many on the course, that way I can play two balls from every position and see how that goes. Hope that wasn't too bad for my first write up, be gentle. :fingers-crossed:

Oh, and I almost forgot....I didnt lose a single ball today:bananadance::blob::clapp:

Great write up Tim! I agree that once getting adjusted to the ball, it rolls very nice.

Good stuff TBT and Hawk, I will probably give these a try when I find out what they are.

Very excited as I got the balls in the mail today and planned to do some chipping and putting tonight but instead it will have to wait until tomorrow. Heavy rains rolled in this afternoon and the threat of lightning is keeping everyone off the course. Looks like the only time I will get to spend with the balls today is with a sharpie.

Should get the chance to do some testing tomorrow if the weather clears. I will take some pix after I get them marked up but everyone else has done a nice job with the initial pix as they arrived from THP.

Thanks for the opportunity to test for THP!

nice write up TBT. the fact that your comparing the ball to a PRO V1x and not favoring the pro v at this point says a lot about the type of ball that Ball X is. keep up the good info

So I finally made it out for a round with these balls. I played the Indiana University course this morning. I shot a 95 which is my lowest round ever at this course. I wanted to try hitting several different balls off the tee each hole, but I had a group behind me, so I couldn’t take too long. (I found the Q STAR’s in stock so I wanted to try those out as well).
I took a few notes during my round while I was waiting for the slow threesome in front of me, I go through the clubs and my thoughts:

Driver: Over the 2 months, I have started taking lessons and the main thing I have worked on was my stance/swing, and trying to straighten out my driver and straighten my slice. The feel of the ball off of my driver felt good. I found these balls to be pretty long. Two tee shots stuck out to me during my round. On the 8th hole, I hit my driver for 234yrds. I ended up with par for that hole. On the 12th hole, I had a 241yd drive. I flied the green and ended up taking bogey. I had a little trouble with my slice today, causing me to lose one ball in the very tall rough down the right side of the fairway. All in all, when I would get a good swing, the ball would fly very long a straight.

Fairway Wood/Hybrid: The second hole on the course is a par 4 with a very tight fairway. To play it safe, I always hit 3wood from the tee. I hit a nice 220yd shot with a little baby fade; this set me up with about 130 to the green. The pars 3’s on the course are all 200 yards or more, so I end up using my Burner 2.0 3 hybrid for all of these holes. I had a very nice ball flight with the ball; I stuck two of the three par 3’s today. From the fairway and the rough, the ball felt really nice off of the fairway wood and hybrid.

Irons: Lately I have been having trouble with my irons; I have been pulling all of them horrible. I don’t know if it is because I have been working on my stance and swing or what. The ball felt great off of my R7’s though. I did find that I was getting about 10 more yards from this ball than the usual balls I have been playing lately. I also noticed that when I would stick the greens with my irons, I did not get the roll out that I have become use too. I usually don’t get a lot of spin from golf balls.

Short game, Wedges/Chipping: This is the part of the game that I struggle on the most. I can never get a consistent game going. I recently picked up a 60* wedge and this has helped my game a lot. So the mystery ball came off the face of my wedges very soft. I don’t spin the ball much at all with my wedges, just like my irons, but I did notice that I got more spin than usual without the roll out that I was used too. After a couple holes of coming up short, I adjusted quickly and the rest of the round I did very well.

Putting: When I first received the mystery balls, I rolled them for about a half hour on my putting mat in my basement. The balls felt really nice off of my Ghost Spider. Before my round, I rolled a few on the practice green to get a feel for the overall speed for the day. Man, the ball was nice to put today. I have been burning the edges of the holes lately with not many of them dropping. Today, I had great touch with many of my putt dropping, more than I was used to.

Overall: I am playing 18 again tomorrow and I am looking forward to playing this ball again. I should have had a better score today, but I am accounting that for not getting into a good rhythm because of the 5-10 minute waits I had today between holes. The cover of the 2nd ball looked very well today, I never had one kiss the cart path, and so that is a plus for me. So far the durability of the ball is excellent.

I want to thank THP and the Mystery Ball Company again for this opportunity to test a ball and give it some feedback.

DSCN8097.jpg
[/IMG]

Got a full 18 in today, shot a 40/41; 81. Pretty tough course but felt I played quite well.

Today's thoughts on Ball X;

The ball feels really nice off my driver, and just as yesterday, no noticeable difference in length off the tee. Unfortunately I was not having the best day off the tee. One shot stood out today, wind was blowing pretty hard right to left, and I hit it dead straight. The ball flew high, and felt like it stayed in the air for about 20 seconds, just being held up by the wind. Landed left-center of fairway, and although I knew it was short, GPS'd the distance to 203. It really felt as if the ball was just floating. Interesting...

Iron play again today was great, it saved me many times with errant tee shots. Today, just as yesterday, the ball really gets up in the air in a hurry with a high ball flight. Felt as if my ball striking was dead on today with the irons, still feel as if I am gaining a bit of distance with this ball, but with the wind today it was hard to tell for sure.

Short game and wedges, dead on again. This ball preforms great off my wedges and short irons. Was able to get the ball to check up nicely again today. This is where I have seen the most noticeable difference so far. I had a couple holes with either an 8i or 9i into the green, and was able to get the ball to get down and check up right where it landed, where usually I would have it come in at a lower angle land and roll off the back of the green.

I spent a good bit of time on the putting green with this ball prior to playing today, and started to really like the feel. I said yesterday that I felt like I was having to put a little more stroke into it for the longer putts, and it held true again today. I tested it vs a TM Penta, and tried to be as consistent as I could with the stroke on the two balls. Similar stroke, the Penta would roll out about a foot longer than Ball X. The difference is much more obvious to me in longer putts. I had a great putting round today, with 27 putts, and no 3 putts. The highlight of the day was most definitely Hole 8, Par 3, was pin high, but 60 ft out. Put a great roll on it, a dropped a 60 footer for a birdie!

It has a different feel than my regular ball (Penta), I dont think it is necessarily a worse fell, just different, but once I got used to it I was dropping them in for some impressive putts.

The testing has been a great experience so far, dont think I have ever put this much thought into each one of my shots!

Irons: Lately I have been having trouble with my irons; I have been pulling all of them horrible. I don’t know if it is because I have been working on my stance and swing or what. The ball felt great off of my R7’s though. I did find that I was getting about 10 more yards from this ball than the usual balls I have been playing lately. I also noticed that when I would stick the greens with my irons, I did not get the roll out that I have become use too. I usually don’t get a lot of spin from golf balls.

I have felt the same way the past two days. In fact, I said the exact same thing in my review from today.

Ok, I got to play with these for a few hours at the short game area today and here's how it went for me, I used no other ball for comparison, I wanted these to have center stage.

Appearance There is nothing that stands out while standing over them, I can't notice the dimple pattern being any different than any other ball.

Putting For me, I found this thing really hot off the putter, I have a Circa62 w/no insert and this thing left me many 2 footers coming back for the first half hour or so, I practice at this place several times a week and know the green speeds well as well as the breaks and they blew by the breaks, All my misses were high for a change lol. Once I got the feel dialed in putting, I absolutely fell in love with this ball! the sound coming off the putter face was bold but not crisp. I hit quite a few downhillers off the toe purposely to kill them a bit and it was as consistant as ever, they came off with a thud and very soft, distance control was wonderful.

Chipping This is where I fell in love! I generally practice from about 30 yds and in, uphillers and downhillers and flat. Downhill chips were suprising, they came in low, hopped once checked a little and rolled out about 2 ft, the suprising part was that they did the same thing every time, you hit it off the toe and it would be a little shorter but would check and roll a little less every time, Uphill chips had check and about 2 ft of rollout. Flat lies were brilliant, I felt confident going after any stick on the chipping green and the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do when I hit it well, mishits were a little short but predictable.

54 degree wedge knockdowns were again, predictable and precise. Once you get used to the ball doing what you want it do, it's exceptional.

I'm taking it to the course tomorrow and and afterwards back to the short game area and will post more feedback afterwards, so far I'm very impressed.

Ok, I got to play with these for a few hours at the short game area today and here's how it went for me, I used no other ball for comparison, I wanted these to have center stage.

Appearance There is nothing that stands out while standing over them, I can't notice the dimple pattern being any different than any other ball.

Putting For me, I found this thing really hot off the putter, I have a Circa62 w/no insert and this thing left me many 2 footers coming back for the first half hour or so, I practice at this place several times a week and know the green speeds well as well as the breaks and they blew by the breaks, All my misses were high for a change lol. Once I got the feel dialed in putting, I absolutely fell in love with this ball! the sound coming off the putter face was bold but not crisp. I hit quite a few downhillers off the toe purposely to kill them a bit and it was as consistant as ever, they came off with a thud and very soft, distance control was wonderful.

Chipping This is where I fell in love! I generally practice from about 30 yds and in, uphillers and downhillers and flat. Downhill chips were suprising, they came in low, hopped once checked a little and rolled out about 2 ft, the suprising part was that they did the same thing every time, you hit it off the toe and it would be a little shorter but would check and roll a little less every time, Uphill chips had check and about 2 ft of rollout. Flat lies were brilliant, I felt confident going after any stick on the chipping green and the ball did exactly what I wanted it to do when I hit it well, mishits were a little short but predictable.

54 degree wedge knockdowns were again, predictable and precise. Once you get used to the ball doing what you want it do, it's exceptional.

I'm taking it to the course tomorrow and and afterwards back to the short game area and will post more feedback afterwards, so far I'm very impressed.

Interesting the different feels we have with the ball while putting. Wonder how much of that is insert vs no insert.

---
- ...just tap it in...

Interesting the different feels we have with the ball while putting. Wonder how much of that is insert vs no insert.

---
- ...just tap it in...

I had no problem with feel off the putter. The Pure Roll insert just felt awesome like every other time. I had some great lag putts that left me easy tap-ins

Just tap it in, just tap it in.

Great initial reviews so far everyone! I get to check these out first hand for myself tomorrow and cant wait!

Great stuff so far! Nice vids Hawk! Survivorman style.

with everyone getting all these positive results so far, im anxious to find out what this ball actually is so i can go buy a box lol

Great write ups everyone, it seems like we are all really loving the controlnthis ball is giving us with our short game, that was the most noticeable with me too...towards the end of my round I was firing at pins with short chips and pitches with confidence that the ball would stick...so far I really liking this ball. Round 2 tomorrow!

Great stuff guys, I am loving all of the info on this mystery ball.

How is durability with Ball X so far?

I played a full 18 with the same ball and no scuffs at all!

Very good. I tore a couple of my shag balls up pretty good today and the worst that I did was some slight discoloration/burns to mystery ball.

Very good. I tore a couple of my shag balls up pretty good today and the worst that I did was some slight discoloration/burns to mystery ball.

Burns?

It's sounding like this ball has everything you could ask for. More distance and more spin. Something you don't often find in one ball along with a great feel off the face of the putter. Great work guys.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Back