Boccieri Heavy Wedge

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
These just arrived to the THP Offices and are a really extremely unique piece of equipment. The name says it all. Would you game them? Do you think heavy wedges will help you, etc...?

829472539_Wry8Q-L-1.jpg

829472649_h9gBF-L-1.jpg

829472573_RUBdT-L-1.jpg

829472627_MJ6bW-L-1.jpg

I'd certainly like to try them out. I would game them in a second if they could help me get the ball on the green. I like the detail on the face.

Ok I gotta ask...Are they actually heavier than most stock wedges and if so then how much? Also what would be the advantage of playing a heavier wedge?

I guess its the same idea as those heavy putters? I dont think Id game a heavy wedge but notice I didnt say never.

I'd be up to trying one once they make it to the shop here, but hard to believe I could sport anything better than my CG14. Saying that is not really very fair, being I've tried very few wedges, I just love whats been working so far. Good looking wedge though.

• Admin
Ok I gotta ask...Are they actually heavier than most stock wedges and if so then how much? Also what would be the advantage of playing a heavier wedge?

The clubhead is only a few grams heavier than standard. But an additional 65 grams of weight is added under the grip. The effect is to raise the balance point up the shaft. That, the company claims, helps lead to a smoother swing and better swing path.

Let me know if you lose yardage on your full shots. I added a 50g counterweight to my 56* to see if their concept works, and lost close to 15 yards on my full shots into the hole. Feel around the green is a different story, easy to control, nice out of the bunkers, but I still need to hit full sand wedge shots into the green. It was nice to be able to take out the weight, but how about the guys who buy this wedge and are stuck with it the way it is?

• Admin
We have already been working with one and noticed no distance loss at all.

I'd at least give it a try...I like a heavier club head as is but if this was too heavy I'm not sure if it'd work for me

Heavy Wedge Ball Shredder

Heavy Wedge Ball Shredder

At the beginning of the season I got three new Boccieri Heavy Wedges (52, 56, 60). In all espects, but one, I like everything about them. However, the one drawback is a possible deal breaker. These wedges absolutely shred the ball - the softer the cover, the more desctructive they are. Yesterday I played with a sleeve of ProV1x's I had bee given as a gift (My usuual ball is the Srixon Zstar). I went throught the entire sleeve in less than 18-holes due to the cuts, abrasions, and flaking cause by the Heavy Wedges.

I've taken them out of the bag a couple of times due to this problem, but have found that I don't hit other clubs nearly as well. Has anyone who uses these wedges experienced a similar problem? Any solutions?

The whole concept is interesting....it's supposed to promote a smoother more natural swing. I would like to hit a bucket or two with them just to check it out.

It does seem an interesting concept all this 'heavy' stuff...i suppose it made sense with putters when the rest of the market is all about making things lighter for more club head spead/ distance....

Certainly with wedge play feel and confidence is more important that pure distance, so i'd certainly be happy to give these a go.

if they performed i dont care how they look, id def give them a fair chance, after the way the nicklaus ml4 is performing, ill never look down on a smaller company again

After a fairly extended adjustment period, I must say now that I am used to these wedges, I wouldnt ever play another wedge weighted differently.

I was forced to play a round with my VR forged wedges with spinner shafts, and I hated it completely. They arent bad wedges obviously, but they just dont make pitches and awkward distance shots as easy. I had a great driving day that day, inside of 120 on every hole almost, and I missed almost every green. Bladed, flyers, coming up short constantly.

But these wedges have really helped my short game. Knockdowns, low and high shots, flops. These wedges can really do it all, and they have made me a better feel player. They dont allow me to decelerate around the greens easily, and they help me play the course without having to know a specific number all the time.

I used to be a robotic, numeric player around the greens. But I dont need to anymore, and I am seeing positive results. There is also much less stress on my putting game because I am much closer to the hole after missing greens. I am getting up and down MUCH more frequently.

I must say though, it took me a long time to get used to these, but the adjustment period and what it did for my game was so worth it.

EDIT: I do not shred the ball with these clubs.

Nice update Thainer, you lovin' you some Boccieri! (and rightfully so!)

Glad you've got wedges you're sticking with.

You know how automatic your hybrid is? Imagine that from 120 yds and in...

Haha, I can imagine it, alas the v-sole has won me over. I will say though the grips Boccieri is going to sell has me super intrigued, getting that backweighting in my wedges could be huge.

I wouldn't ever auto-game one of these without an extensive test, but I'll say this ... I'm sold on the backweighting idea. I am absolutely in love with the Heavy Wood I'm testing. (Thanks THP and Boccieri Golf!) I don't know how well that extra weight in the grip area would work on tough shots, but Boccieri Golf might be onto something.

I wouldn't ever auto-game one of these without an extensive test, but I'll say this ... I'm sold on the backweighting idea. I am absolutely in love with the Heavy Wood I'm testing. (Thanks THP and Boccieri Golf!) I don't know how well that extra weight in the grip area would work on tough shots, but Boccieri Golf might be onto something.

What does the weight have to do with a "tough shot"? Im sorta confused as to what this means.

These wedges came up big for me tonight leading to 3 huge par saves and 2 birdies tonight on my way to shooting a +1 36. I love these wedges!!!!!

Sorry all, I meant "TOUCH" not "TOUGH" ... I fat fingered a quick response. Specifically, those delicate just-off-the-green and short-bounch-stop type shots. Don't get me wrong, I'm drinking from the Boccieri Golf kool-aid, I'm just having a hard time translating full-swing to shorter swings.

After my experience today with the Heavy hybrid; I would try this gladly in a heartbeat! Mr Boccieri is definitely onto something with his club creation!!

Tappin' from my iPad!

Back