Bushnell Tour X Rangefinder Review Thread

While reading the feedback I've realized how much better this unit is than what I use. The V2 has been awesome and continues to deliver accurate numbers for anything I shoot.

I've used KC720'S on several occasions. The fit, finish, and capabilities of this unit are unmatched. The biggest standout to me is speed of acquisition of target and the display color changing option. That alone makes a huge difference depending on time of day you are out.

Keep the info coming and great job so far.

The speed is an interesting subject. It seems silly that instant vs 2 seconds is a big deal, but when using the units side by side it really is.

Speaking about speed. Tour X utilizes the E.S.P2 technology.

From the Bushnell.com

E.S.P.2 provides yardage 5x faster and more accurately than ever before. Not only have we increased the acquisition speed to a lightning fast level, E.S.P.2 is so accurate that from 5-125 yards / 5-115 meters, the distance is displayed to 1/10th of a yard/meter. Whatever your skill level, Bushnell gives you the most accurate technology in the game - and you will have the confidence of knowing you have the exact distance for every shot you will ever hit.

I'll be reading.

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on one now though honestly.

I've pondered it a few times, but I still think 500 dollars is insane for a distance measuring device when there are units selling for 150 that do essentially the same thing. I'll enjoy keeping up with this thread trying to figure out where the extra 350 dollars comes from.

I've pondered it a few times, but I still think 500 dollars is insane for a distance measuring device when there are units selling for 150 that do essentially the same thing. I'll enjoy keeping up with this thread trying to figure out where the extra 350 dollars comes from.
No disrespect to the Tour X, but my thoughts exactly. I just bought my first rangefinder, V3 Patriot Pack non-slope for $219 new (not refurb) and free shipping. Love the speed, ergonomics, and Jolt confirmation. I'm happy there are more advanced models to drive down the price on such a solid rangefinder, yet it's amazing to see the tech being packed into the new units. As long as ease of use remains a priority it's a win-win.

Speaking about speed. Tour X utilizes the E.S.P2 technology.

From the Bushnell.com

E.S.P.2 provides yardage 5x faster and more accurately than ever before. Not only have we increased the acquisition speed to a lightning fast level, E.S.P.2 is so accurate that from 5-125 yards / 5-115 meters, the distance is displayed to 1/10th of a yard/meter. Whatever your skill level, Bushnell gives you the most accurate technology in the game - and you will have the confidence of knowing you have the exact distance for every shot you will ever hit.

This was my issue with my last rangefinder - speed and accuracy. As I pointed out in my 1st post, inside 150yds was usually no issues getting a quick reading. 150-200yds was hit and miss depending on slope, light and pin positions. Outside 200yds was good luck Charlie. Don't get me wrong, I could usually get the laser to hit the flag but would take multiple shots and validations to make sure it wasn't grabbing something else.

Very true and what I wrote in my review. Like anything, features via cost will be decided by each golfer. It's kind of like any consumer product. I can get an iPhone 5 that runs the same as a 6+ just a bit slower, a bit smaller and will lack some of the features. I can get a 70 inch tv by a no name brand for one price, or I can get a 80 inch tv for twice the price with more features.

If someone wants those features, the Tour X is the best device I have used in the class.

I tend to agree on the price point, but using this and the V2 it's night and day. If I was in the market for one and had the funds set aside for a price range of $300...I would wait until the budget could handle the difference. May not be as big of difference between the 6 or V3...but man oh man it sure is from the V2.

Similar to buying other man toys I guess. I go into to get the base model and very happy with the expectations I've set my mind on. Then test drive, look at the top of the line and kick myself for doing it.

I use my V2 to shoot everything and sometimes to confirm GPS units when they are in the golf carts. If one is used to this type of device, I really don't think there is anything better.

Is it worth the added cost...maybe not for someone with a steady hand and has never seen one of these out on the course.

Demoing different units in a store to shoot fixtures, signs, etc I find they perform close to each other. Take them on the course and it's a different experience.

Very true and what I wrote in my review. Like anything, features via cost will be decided by each golfer. It's kind of like any consumer product. I can get an iPhone 5 that runs the same as a 6+ just a bit slower, a bit smaller and will lack some of the features. I can get a 70 inch tv by a no name brand for one price, or I can get a 80 inch tv for twice the price with more features.

If someone wants those features, the Tour X is the best device I have used in the class.

This is essentially what I figured. Having reviewed a few of the cheaper rangefinders over the last couple of seasons, I've been quite pleased with their functionality. As I have not spent any time at all with a higher end unit, I imagine it's just one of those things you'd have to experience first hand to gain a real appreciation for it.

I snagged mward's for a couple pin shoots at the gauntlet and really enjoyed it. Fit in hand is crazy comfortable and shoots the pin distance in a flash. Was very impressed with it even just for those couple distances I needed.

My friend has this and I've used it off and on for a few rounds.

One thing I noticed on more than a few instances the image of the pin was pretty blurry from roughly 170-180yds out compared to my old v2 model. Not sure if you guys have noticed this.

I've never owned a rangefinder and if I do, I think it's something I would probably splurge on. Really enjoying the reviews. The speed aspect is something I'd be looking for. My fat fingers and shaky hands need all the help I can get.

I'm so close to buying one of these its silly.

Ugh.

I'm so close to buying one of these its silly.

Ugh.

before talking to the Bushnell folks at the show this year, I've pretty much thought if you have 1 laser, it's not something that is necessary to upgrade, because hell they all give a distance. This one is different because of the 2 lenses. Not to mention that you can change the display text type. It's certainly a cool device.

My friend has this and I've used it off and on for a few rounds.

One thing I noticed on more than a few instances the image of the pin was pretty blurry from roughly 170-180yds out compared to my old v2 model. Not sure if you guys have noticed this.

I've not seen an issue at these distances, but next time I'm out I will shoot multiple distances to see if I see any degradation.

before talking to the Bushnell folks at the show this year, I've pretty much thought if you have 1 laser, it's not something that is necessary to upgrade, because hell they all give a distance. This one is different because of the 2 lenses. Not to mention that you can change the display text type. It's certainly a cool device.

Dammit Dean. My V3 is quaking in its boots now.

Solid point. While I would enjoy slope for casual rounds it doesn't mean as much to me since about half my rounds played are for competition purposes. The Z6 works extremely well for me but this sure is new and shiny with some cool "options" that aren't "necessities".

Dammit Dean. My V3 is quaking in its boots now.

my v2 isn't. But if I were to make a jump, this one seems like the one to go with. Just has it all.

This is essentially what I figured. Having reviewed a few of the cheaper rangefinders over the last couple of seasons, I've been quite pleased with their functionality. As I have not spent any time at all with a higher end unit, I imagine it's just one of those things you'd have to experience first hand to gain a real appreciation for it.

JB mentioned it and I agree with both you and him. There are less expensive models that will give you distance. The Tour X has so many bells and whistles and simple things that make it stand out. It is like a car really. A $18,000 sedan will get you from point A to point B. But a $60,000 sedan has bells and whistles. I could buy a custom Circle T for $7,000 or a simple cast Anser for $90. Why does it matter, they both roll the ball. Similar concept really.

I said it earlier, the Tour X doesn't obsolete any laser range finder. But what it does is make simple changes that really feel like they matter. The switchable red and black display. Including the slope lense. The ergonomic design. The speed and accuracy to a 1/10th of a yard. It's that small stuff that makes sense. I don't know yet if anybody needs to throw their Tour V3 in the garbage and run out and buy a Tour X. But if somebody is looking for a new rangefinder, at least pick up the Tour X and just feel how well it fits in the hand.

Have you used this at a course that does not have the lenses on the flags? My course has the lenses so this would not make much difference at my course, but they are a few courses I play with out the lenses and my old range finder struggles when there are no lenses on the flags and trees behind the green. If this helped with that I would really lean towards getting one. Have you had that experience with this yet?

JB mentioned it and I agree with both you and him. There are less expensive models that will give you distance. The Tour X has so many bells and whistles and simple things that make it stand out. It is like a car really. A $18,000 sedan will get you from point A to point B. But a $60,000 sedan has bells and whistles. I could buy a custom Circle T for $7,000 or a simple cast Anser for $90. Why does it matter, they both roll the ball. Similar concept really.

I said it earlier, the Tour X doesn't obsolete any laser range finder. But what it does is make simple changes that really feel like they matter. The switchable red and black display. Including the slope lense. The ergonomic design. The speed and accuracy to a 1/10th of a yard. It's that small stuff that makes sense. I don't know yet if anybody needs to throw their Tour V3 in the garbage and run out and buy a Tour X. But if somebody is looking for a new rangefinder, at least pick up the Tour X and just feel how well it fits in the hand.

Have you used this at a course that does not have the lenses on the flags? My course has the lenses so this would not make much difference at my course, but they are a few courses I play with out the lenses and my old range finder struggles when there are no lenses on the flags and trees behind the green. If this helped with that I would really lean towards getting one. Have you had that experience with this yet?

I played 9 yesterday. My course does not have lenses. The accuracy is one awesome feature. The speed is a benefit. But it is the entire package that makes the price a little easier to swallow.

I mentioned it earlier and it needs repeating. There is a second button on the unit. It is the "mode" button and is used to access the setup, change from meters to yards and change brightness. If anybody has ever been on the course and found their rangefinder has changed units, on the Tour V3, it isn't the quickest process. On the Tour X, it's four pushes of buttons.

I played 9 yesterday. My course does not have lenses. The accuracy is one awesome feature. The speed is a benefit. But it is the entire package that makes the price a little easier to swallow.

I mentioned it earlier and it needs repeating. There is a second button on the unit. It is the "mode" button and is used to access the setup, change from meters to yards and change brightness. If anybody has ever been on the course and found their rangefinder has changed units, on the Tour V3, it isn't the quickest process. On the Tour X, it's four pushes of buttons.
The fact this one will pick up the flag and not the trees behind the green is a great feature.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

We solved that problem for a forum member the other day. Not that quick or easy to figure out if you haven't experienced it before or read the manual.

This thing definitely has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Is Bushnell doing any trade ins for V3s towards a Tour X? You guys aren't helping this ponder.

One of the things that I was surprised at besides the speed - and this was really just walking around my yard lasering things - was the ability to resolve relatively close distances. Not that I'm going to laser something that's 5-20 yards away, but the fact that this device will return an accurate value from that close says a lot about the quality of the optics versus other, cheaper rangefinders I've used.

We solved that problem for a forum member the other day. Not that quick or easy to figure out if you haven't experienced it before or read the manual.

This thing definitely has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Is Bushnell doing any trade ins for V3s towards a Tour X? You guys aren't helping this ponder.

Not to make this ponder tough on some people, but... They do have a trade in program that uses 2nd swing golf to do it. You send your stuff to 2nd swing, including range finder.. They cut you a check. Hard ponders commence.

Not to make this ponder tough on some people, but... They do have a trade in program that uses 2nd swing golf to do it. You send your stuff to 2nd swing, including range finder.. They cut you a check. Hard ponders commence.
Ugh. That's what I wanted to hear, but not what I wanted to hear. It's going to be a long winter with this sitting on my mind.

Back