Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

Yes. I used to be way too far away from the ball so I've been trying to stand a little closer. The heel miss comes when I'm a little too close. When I rush my set up at address its when it bites me the hardest. Just gotta make sure I go through my routine

And to add, not only is it a heel miss but it's a trap hook and I'm doomed. Set up and takeaway are key for me and I have to make sure I don't rush either
Set the lab on the toe at address, see if that doesn't help.

GBB is set for delivery tomorrow and I am freaking stoked. Rogue Silver and S+ to tinker with as well. To bad this stupid hurricane or what not is bring buckets of rain all week/weekend.

Time to leave no yards behind and smack bombs on the course.

b503a25329c39c4b48150b74a2b328bc.jpg

Welcome to the "badass driver owner" club.

The more I hit this thing the more I am falling in love. It doesn't fix a terrible swing, but the forgiveness offered has been very solid

Man I love my 815 but after reading this I just might have to trade in the 815 at the PGA SS for the credit towards a GBB....

They should just change the tagline to "Leave our friends yards behind".

Making the trip to GolfTown on Sunday to hopefully get swings in with some other shaft options!

Having the 815 Alpha head on the way lessons the "must buy now" urge only slightly.

The more I hit this thing the more I am falling in love. It doesn't fix a terrible swing, but the forgiveness offered has been very solid

Im with you here. Then add that because of the ball speed I am seeing, it is the longest driver I have hit this year as well. That will be partial to different people based on fitting, however I have yet to hit one of the new releases that gives me the ball speed and spin on misses that this one does.

I know a shaft won't make a WORLD of difference, but I am certainly excited to get fully fit for this bad boy. See if I can squeeze out some more yards and a bit better dispersion

I know a shaft won't make a WORLD of difference, but I am certainly excited to get fully fit for this bad boy. See if I can squeeze out some more yards and a bit better dispersion

me too. Even though I was fit for the one I am playing. Having been fit for it, and then seeing what I see on the course, should be able to help some tweaking.

I thought about trying the Tini based on Mini success but made the smart move and ordered mine with the shaft I was into at the #Grandaddy.....Speeder 665 1/2" short.

I thought about trying the Tini based on Mini success but made the smart move and ordered mine with the shaft I was into at the #Grandaddy.....Speeder 665 1/2" short.

You are very smart. I am going to let them tell me what is best and roll with it. No changing. I want weapons of Zoo Crew destruction

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Review Thread

So a funny thing happened today on the range. I was adjusting tee height bc at address this one looks like it has a bigger footprint than the BBA815. Could be and probably is 100% mental, but I started adjusting tee height bc at the height I was using with my BBA815, I wasnt quite catching this one solid.

A few tee height adjustments and boom, solid hits, center of the face with a sight left to right ball flight. Here are the results from my Sc-100

75328310560bfaf14a354cdfb1d57471.jpg

I'm impressed to say the least. As I understand it that is carry distance being displayed and previously I was doing well to see 223 or so carry.

Last edited:
That is big Mike! I should have bought one of those SC100s a long time ago. Would be nice to see that type of stuff on the range for me

I don't know about that ... the guy hands me a 10.5 GBB with Bassara R - hit it all over the place. I said, "give me a 9 and the KKBlack in Stiff "-- 22+ yards and tighter dispersion. Not apples to apples in flex or loft but it would still have a difference. Now I've got a Diamana S+60, Oban Isawa, and the KK Black, and I would bet that once I get on Trackman, I may not see much of a difference - mid launch, mid spin. So I found a Kiyoshi Purple 65 - want to see if 10 more grams offers more control with similar yardage -- or maybe a kick up.

Fine tuning -- now I am +1 to 10 degrees, and my miss is a toe hit. So I asked Callaway how to extend the sweet spot - they told me with toe hits, put the APW to the toe (fade setting) - they found that putting the weight towards your miss will help -- So I am +1, D, and Fade.... need to see what this does in the morning.

I like it Mike!

That is big Mike! I should have bought one of those SC100s a long time ago. Would be nice to see that type of stuff on the range for me

I have mine sitting in my golf bag not doing anything. If you'd like to borrow it till after the Grandaddy, just send me a PM with your current address dude.

I have mine sitting in my golf bag not doing anything. If you'd like to borrow it till after the Grandaddy, just send me a PM with your current address dude.

Thanks buddy! Kang Clause just offered to let me borrow his, but I really do appreciate the offer.

It's a pretty good device for baseline numbers.

It's a pretty good device for baseline numbers.

I'm waiting for the SC200 they introduced at the 2015 PGA Show, but still haven't brought to retail.

Thanks buddy! Kang Clause just offered to let me borrow his, but I really do appreciate the offer.

Any time. That offer is open to any of the granddaddy guys FYI.

Last edited:
So I didn't have the greatest swing going with it tonight on it's maiden voyage, but even on complete misses I left impressed. I hit two mediocre shots on a par 5, one with the GBB and one with my Cleveland Classic XL, and the GBB was further by roughly 20 yards. Both swings were similarly terrible as well.

I did finally put one really good swing on it on the final hole though, and got it out there around 280/285 total. No idea where it landed, but I'm also not used to much run out. So even if it ran for 20 yards that's still a huge deal for me.

In short for my first 9 hole review: Terrible swings = Decent results. And that's a darn good thing to be able to say on your off days.

So I didn't have the greatest swing going with it tonight on it's maiden voyage, but even on complete misses I left impressed. I hit two mediocre shots on a par 5, one with the GBB and one with my Cleveland Classic XL, and the GBB was further by roughly 20 yards. Both swings were similarly terrible as well.

I did finally put one really good swing on it on the final hole though, and got it out there around 280/285 total. No idea where it landed, but I'm also not used to much run out. So even if it ran for 20 yards that's still a huge deal for me.

In short for my first 9 hole review: Terrible swings = Decent results. And that's a darn good thing to be able to say on your off days.

I'm sure the winds today didn't help much either. It was gusting to 40mph at times

Back