Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

Mine came in yesterday and I hope to get out to the course today and start the bonding process. They sure are nice looking and when I tore into the box, I got a surprise. Instead of the shafts my fitter had ordered they came with the Project X 95 5.5 shafts. They are obviously a bit heavier than the GS95 shafts that I had thought were coming. Anyways I have heard some good stuff about the PX 95s so I hope they perform to expectations.

If you didn't get what you ordered, you shouldn't just settle for what they sent OG.

That being said, I tried these out last weekend with exactly that Proj X 95 shaft, and I really liked them a lot. Felt very good and was seeing some very tight dispersions on the simulator. I may be picking up a set of them myself in a few weeks.

That's what I was thinking as well but I can't find any info. Maybe someone that knows can chime in for a second opinion.

I don't see it stated anywhere, but I would assume the Pros are 0.355"

You may want to tweet @CallawayLuke with the question. He responds well and is the appropriate person I think.

If you didn't get what you ordered, you shouldn't just settle for what they sent OG.

That being said, I tried these out last weekend with exactly that Proj X 95 shaft, and I really liked them a lot. Felt very good and was seeing some very tight dispersions on the simulator. I may be picking up a set of them myself in a few weeks.

Well to be fair, they did call me and said the GS85 was not available at this time and would the "95" be ok? I said sure thinking they were sending the GS95 version. I'm not disappointed as I've heard so many good things about the PX 95 version. I just hope my ball flight, shot dispersion, etc. will be as good for me.

I know you are excited to hit these as far as i am but box those puppies back up and get the correct shafts. Don't take them just cuz they are here.
Mine came in yesterday and I hope to get out to the course today and start the bonding process. They sure are nice looking and when I tore into the box, I got a surprise. Instead of the shafts my fitter had ordered they came with the Project X 95 5.5 shafts. They are obviously a bit heavier than the GS95 shafts that I had thought were coming. Anyways I have heard some good stuff about the PX 95s so I hope they perform to expectations.

Well to be fair, they did call me and said the GS85 was not available at this time and would the "95" be ok? I said sure thinking they were sending the GS95 version. I'm not disappointed as I've heard so many good things about the PX 95 version. I just hope my ball flight, shot dispersion, etc. will be as good for me.

The GS95 is an option correct? I would send them back and get what you were fit for. It is their mistake, and you shouldn't pay for it.

One thing you may see compared to other shafts you've had is that these are flighted, which means that the shaft characteristics are designed to have each club hit a similar peak in it's ball flight, instead of getting progressively lower ball flights as you work up the set.

I couldn't believe how easy they were to hit compared to how sleek they were. Can't wait to hear how you like them Bill.

I know you are excited to hit these as far as i am but box those puppies back up and get the correct shafts. Don't take them just cuz they are here.

Or I could run up to the PGA SS and hit them in the PX 95 version and see if I get similar results huh?

Or I could run up to the PGA SS and hit them in the PX 95 version and see if I get similar results huh?

Sounds like a communication error I'd do this before you hit them. To much money to not get what you want IMO.

That's sounds like a good idea OG, but definitely try some others out before you keep those! Like everyone else has mentioned, that's a lot of money to not get what you want. Good luck!

The GS95 is an option correct? I would send them back and get what you were fit for. It is their mistake, and you shouldn't pay for it.

Yep and the thing I like about them was the graphite like feel and the trajectory was cool. I was getting much better descent spin so the balls would be dropping and stopping better. I think I will run up to the super store today and compare the too. Heck I'll let them worry about shipping the irons back if there is an issue. Man I love the feel of the Pro version of these irons as with those light shafts I was getting really good results. Much better accuracy than I was with my old RBZ irons and better dispersion however I was fit totally different with a 1/2 inch plus and 2 up with the GS shafts.

Bill - If you aren't satisfied at PGA SS with what they have available or the service you are getting there, I was at the Edwin Watts in Buford (near Mall of GA) and they seemed to have a real nice Callaway Fitting Cart setup there with the X Hot Pros available for fitting with different shafts. A man named David was helping me in there the other day. I was really impressed with their setup and service.

If for some reason you can't get them ordered through PGA SS the way you want them, the custom ordering options on the Callaway website appear to be very thorough and top notch. I'm really thinking about just ordering them directly on line when I'm ready.

Bill - If you aren't satisfied at PGA SS with what they have available or the service you are getting there, I was at the Edwin Watts in Buford (near Mall of GA) and they seemed to have a real nice Callaway Fitting Cart setup there with the X Hot Pros available for fitting with different shafts. A man named David was helping me in there the other day. I was really impressed with their setup and service.

If for some reason you can't get them ordered through PGA SS the way you want them, the custom ordering options on the Callaway website appear to be very thorough and top notch. I'm really thinking about just ordering them directly on line when I'm ready.

Donne the pga super store in Duluth had me hitting the ball beautifully with these irons in the GS series shafts. I'm not sure why the fitter did not slap a PX 95 in the mix. I suppose the stats were pretty good with the GS with my iron swing speed etc. he thought they were spot on. All I know is the irons felt sweet and I was seeing the total package from the performance stand point.

I put the Xhot 6i head to head with the xforged 6i with the same PX 6.0 shaft. And I have to say I could see the subtle differences between the two in performance. Very small difference but the Xhot pros are a 1/2 a club to club longer. They both launch on the same trajectory (to the naked eye) but the Xhot stays airborne just a bit longer. Don't get me wrong the forged are longer than standard, but what is standard anymore. Lets just say you wont be upset with the distance in Xforged. But the length I am seeing with the xhot pros is a head scratcher. I'm not talking tour length but just to be a club longer than your brother (xforged) is immpressive.

The heads on the two are very close in size from the top line. Yes, the Xforged are thinner but not by much and they (xforged) are shorted, heal to toe. This difference makes the Forged look very compact and difficult to hit. I stress the "look", because nothing could be farther than the truth. The Xforged are a joy to swing. Both the Xhot pro and Xforged had great feel, different sounds at impact but great feel in their own way. The best way to describe it is this...If you have pured a forged iron, you know that feel. It's almost like slow motion release of the shaft into the head as the ball melts into the face. Well that is what it felt like with both clubs, just a heavier hit with the Xforged. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being heavy hit with total forgiveness and 1 being nothing but total club head forgiveness. The Xforged are a 10 and the Xhot pros are a 8.5. The Xhot pros are closer to a 'players' iron feel than you might think.

I was also able to hit every other club in the xhot pro line, from the A wedge to the 4i. I want to talk to you about the 4i and how this club launched into the air with so much ease. I have long iron issues and the xhot pros may be the savior of that part of my game. They weren't all perfect shots and only practice can cure what is broken. But practice with the Xhot Pro by my side is like Lance Armstrong riding his bike for the past 20 years on EPO, an unfair advantage. I typically get frustrated with the low liners I hit with my long irons, well the mid/high shots I saw the the Xhot pro 4i will kill that frustration and keep me working on my move. Oh, the rest of the clubs in the set are pretty darn good as well.

After an evening with both irons, I am still leaning the way of the Xhots but I must hit the long irons in the Xforged to absolutely sure. All I know is that Callaway has some serious equipment in their stable this year and if you have a chance, you need to hit it.

Don't settle, the number and feel you got from the other shafts is what you want. There is not rush, make a call and see where the miscommunication came into play and get the correct irons. You will be happier in the long run.

Don't settle, the number and feel you got from the other shafts is what you want. There is not rush, make a call and see where the miscommunication came into play and get the correct irons. You will be happier in the long run.

I agree 100 %. Time is on my side and I truly want these new irons to give me the best possible scoring chance possible.

I loved your review comparing the X Hot Pros vs the Forged. Great job :clapp:. It's funny because I was hitting the regular version of the X Hot irons and the Pro version was giving me better results :confused2:. I'm definitely not a "Player" type golfer like yourself so I can't figure out the deal with the Pro vs regular iron results.

I put the Xhot 6i head to head with the xforged 6i with the same PX 6.0 shaft. And I have to say I could see the subtle differences between the two in performance. Very small difference but the Xhot pros are a 1/2 a club to club longer. They both launch on the same trajectory (to the naked eye) but the Xhot stays airborne just a bit longer. Don't get me wrong the forged are longer than standard, but what is standard anymore. Lets just say you wont be upset with the distance in Xforged. But the length I am seeing with the xhot pros is a head scratcher. I'm not talking tour length but just to be a club longer than your brother (xforged) is immpressive.

The heads on the two are very close in size from the top line. Yes, the Xforged are thinner but not by much and they (xforged) are shorted, heal to toe. This difference makes the Forged look very compact and difficult to hit. I stress the "look", because nothing could be farther than the truth. The Xforged are a joy to swing. Both the Xhot pro and Xforged had great feel, different sounds at impact but great feel in their own way. The best way to describe it is this...If you have pured a forged iron, you know that feel. It's almost like slow motion release of the shaft into the head as the ball melts into the face. Well that is what it felt like with both clubs, just a heavier hit with the Xforged. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being heavy hit with total forgiveness and 1 being nothing but total club head forgiveness. The Xforged are a 10 and the Xhot pros are a 8.5. The Xhot pros are closer to a 'players' iron feel than you might think.

I was also able to hit every other club in the xhot pro line, from the A wedge to the 4i. I want to talk to you about the 4i and how this club launched into the air with so much ease. I have long iron issues and the xhot pros may be the savior of that part of my game. They weren't all perfect shots and only practice can cure what is broken. But practice with the Xhot Pro by my side is like Lance Armstrong riding his bike for the past 20 years on EPO, an unfair advantage. I typically get frustrated with the low liners I hit with my long irons, well the mid/high shots I saw the the Xhot pro 4i will kill that frustration and keep me working on my move. Oh, the rest of the clubs in the set are pretty darn good as well.

After an evening with both irons, I am still leaning the way of the Xhots but I must hit the long irons in the Xforged to absolutely sure. All I know is that Callaway has some serious equipment in their stable this year and if you have a chance, you need to hit it.
Great stuff Freddie! I know you put them through the grinder and love the input you had. Anyone that thinks the XForged are going to be as long as the XHotPros will be kidding themselves. But to say that the XForged are maybe a 1/2 club behind is really saying something in my book. This is exactly what I wanted to hear, see and look forward to with this forged set. This gets my excited!

That is some great insight Freddie.

Ummm...am I the only one wondering where the pictures are?

Great info Freddie. I really want to hit the XHot Pro side by side with the Xhot and see which I feel is better for me. I am leaning toward the pros but until I can compare them I will not make a decision.

Ummm...am I the only one wondering where the pictures are?

Great info Freddie. I really want to hit the XHot Pro side by side with the Xhot and see which I feel is better for me. I am leaning toward the pros but until I can compare them I will not make a decision.

haha I'll try to get them up tomorrow good buddy :thumb:

Ok here is the deal. I compared the X Hot Pro irons that I was fit with, the GS95 TT shafts to the the Project X 95 Flighted shafts. I found the PX 95 Flighted shafts to work great for me :blob:! I had to go to my golf course and see the action on the course. I warmed up on the range and the smile :D starting growing. Out on the course is where the real fireworks began! I was hitting low cuts, the high draws, and pured straight shots. Good Lawd have Mercy the fitting with the PX irons fit to a tee. I'm in love with this X Hot Pro irons with the butter smooth PX Flighted 95 shafts :thumb: I can really see my golf game making a huge turn around this spring. I absolutely love the AW in this set. My little buddy Herbie, sit on the side lines all day as I was able to hit so many cool shots around the greens with the gap wedge :bulgy-eyes:. I'm not sure if the new fitting with the 1/2 inch longer clubs combined with the 2 degrees up or what, but it was soooooo easy to pitch and chip around the greens with the AW in this set. Mind blowing kind of good! Yep I'm officially a Cally homer now and looking forward to sleeping with these irons tonight :in-love::guitar::kiss::kissing::kissed::love::zdance::thumb:. To be honest, I was a bit scared prior to the arrival of these irons, that my game would not be suited for them. It certainly looks like a players iron but they performed every bit as well as any GI iron set I have ever owned. Simply blew me away to say the least.

Thanks Freddie and Gray that just cements what I thought I already knew. I'm absolutely dying to get out on the range with these irons!!!!!!

I'm glad they worked out for you Gray, now get your Handicap back down.

Thanks Freddie and Gray that just cements what I thought I already knew. I'm absolutely dying to get out on the range with these irons!!!!!!

You are gonna love em Jason. I don't recall, ever seeing a ball flight quite this good, with any irons that I have gamed. Heck I might even start putting, with the 5 iron in this set :D lol..... Hell throw the driver away and 5 iron it on the par fives :bananadance:

I'm glad they worked out for you Gray, now get your Handicap back down.

Old Indian proverb says, "great iron shots require great putter to compliment them". Putter pondering in SERIOUS mode now!

Gray isn't that what you said about the Rocketballz :bulgy-eyes:

Im glad those work out for you OG. I know Freddie liked the C-Tapers in his xhot pros, but to me the PX95's are AMAZING! Ive been saying it all along!

Tapping away on my S3

Back