Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

the offset of the original mashies never bothered me at all. I'd prefer them to be less offset because it looks better to my eye. However based on some of the pictures we've see in in this thread, I think the low iron/hybrid offerings of these are very unattractive.

Solid thought. I struggled mightily with the Mashie hybrid offset a few years ago and it is not something I want to go through again.

the offset of the original mashies never bothered me at all. I'd prefer them to be less offset because it looks better to my eye. However based on some of the pictures we've see in in this thread, I think the low iron/hybrid offerings of these are very unattractive.

I'm referring to the Mashie iron set hybrids. Much, much different than the regular mashie hybos.

I'm referring to the Mashie iron set hybrids. Much, much different than the regular mashie hybos.

oh yeah, those had monster offset. That 5 iron didn't bother me though, I still hit it ok

Gotcha, I have never held those so don't know how much they had. The regular Mashie hybrids never worked too well for me but I swing different these days so who knows. I actually did not notice too much offset for my eye when I saw the Altitude's in person.

1st post updated with in hand pictures.

the wedge doesn't look bad. It's in the lower lofts that I didn't like the pictures of.

I can't believe I am saying this but I think they need some kind of badge or design on the back cavity. Looks almost unfinished to me.

Not bad actually. Not loving the material that fills the cavity, but rest is pretty sharp.

Not bad actually. Not loving the material that fills the cavity, but rest is pretty sharp.
It just looks unfinished to me.

Dont look as "big and thick" as I initially thought they were going to be

I saw these in person at GS, definitely not my style. The material on the back seemed like it was just black plastic with a little texture to it. They are HUGE.

Thanks for the in hand photos!

the wedge doesn't look bad. It's in the lower lofts that I didn't like the pictures of.

It definitely gets pretty big once you hit the 6 iron and lower. Interested really in how the 3-5 would perform against the Classic hybrid.....that is what will make my decision.

Thanks for the in hand photos!

It definitely gets pretty big once you hit the 6 iron and lower. Interested really in how the 3-5 would perform against the Classic hybrid.....that is what will make my decision.

I think part of that depends on shaft choice Cookie. I think stock vs stock the Classic hybo will be better all around. That's assuming you choose to go with steel in your irons though. Just my opinion.

I think part of that depends on shaft choice Cookie. I think stock vs stock the Classic hybo will be better all around. That's assuming you choose to go with steel in your irons though. Just my opinion.

I am definitely going steel in my irons but the Altitude 3/4/5 and maybe 6 I look at a bit differently than a conventional iron where I would start leaning toward graphite (especially in 3/4). The stock graphite shaft is 55g which is a bit lighter than I would prefer in an iron personally.

I went with the VS Proto's 85 grams and very nice for me. I have shot my best round in 7 years since I got them last month. With the minimal offset and forged faces, they are a much better club than I was expecting. Probably the easiest club to hit, that I have tried. From a distance perspective. I hit these about the same as my Adams V4 hybrids. I have the 3,4,5 in each. I don't hit the ball long, but, both of these the 3 are right at 190 for me. Sorry, I wasn't watching this I will post a more lengthy review later in the week.

Im wondering if anybody hit the Cleveland HB line of clubs that has been out over the last few years. People are talking about the Hibore sets, but the HB line came out after that and this seems like a nice evolution from that line.

Late to the game here JB, but, I hit the HB's and they were not nearly as balanced nor did they feel as good. This is a major upgrade. I am not a fan of the stock graphite shafts, too light, but, with the VS Proto shafts, I love them.

These surprised the heck out of us today. I know Mward and myself came away darn impressed. To have an iron this large sound/feel like it did was very unique.

These surprised the heck out of us today. I know Mward and myself came away darn impressed. To have an iron this large sound/feel like it did was very unique.

Count me in as one of the impressed as well. If I was in the market for an iron in this category, my search would start and pretty much end with these. They just feel so crisp and are so easy to hit. I was seriously shocked with how great they feel st impact. If you blindfolded me I would have thought I was hitting players irons.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Oh boy, you know how excited I am to hear this!! Already pretty much have my mind made up to at least have these in 3-6. Anxious to hear more from you guys.

I can't wait to hear more, the certainly have that Super Game Improvement style look, but if the performance is there they might find themselves in a few MC bags, which would be awesome, I'd love to see these in person!

Count me in as one of the impressed as well. If I was in the market for an iron in this category, my search would start and pretty much end with these. They just feel so crisp and are so easy to hit. I was seriously shocked with how great they feel st impact. If you blindfolded me I would have thought I was hitting players irons.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

You hit the nail on the head. If you did not see the iron, you would swear they sounded and felt like a thinner cavity and smaller profiled head. It was very interesting.

You hit the nail on the head. If you did not see the iron, you would swear they sounded and felt like a thinner cavity and smaller profiled head. It was very interesting.

Would you ever consider these all the way through the bag or take advantage of a combo set knowing what you know now?

Would you ever consider these all the way through the bag or take advantage of a combo set knowing what you know now?

Through the whole bag? Probably not. However that is just me because I like to play different ball heights with my irons when I get into the short ones when I am inside of 100 yards depending on what was needed.

However if I was a golfer that preferred full swings, and when inside of 100 yards only played "wedges", I would absolutely consider it. I have never struggled with the idea of something is too big, too small or too thick or thin, so for me it would not give me much trouble.

For those that have a rather shallow swing, these could really get the ball up rather nice and provide great forgiveness.

Back