Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Yeah, I think I am falling in love with this thing. Not a bad grouping either. The 12 degree head is giving me a nice ball flight and it's truly a fairway finder.

c6e4ea6a-643b-ea7b.jpg

I'd say that contact looks good!

Yeah, I think I am falling in love with this thing. Not a bad grouping either. The 12 degree head is giving me a nice ball flight and it's truly a fairway finder.

c6e4ea6a-643b-ea7b.jpg

That's a pretty impressive grouping. Distance comparable to your previous setup?

That's a pretty impressive grouping. Distance comparable to your previous setup?

It was crazy windy today, so tough to tell, but I would say I was about 5 yards shorter overall, but far straighter off the tee.

Nice impact there el capitan!

It was crazy windy today, so tough to tell, but I would say I was about 5 yards shorter overall, but far straighter off the tee.

any issues hitting it in the wind?

I would think you were seeing some good distance with that grouping and probably some great dispersion

any issues hitting it in the wind?

Im going to help you since I like you. As I said above, I am far straighter and only 5 yards shorter with heavy wind today. :D

Im going to help you since I like you. As I said above, I am far straighter and only 5 yards shorter with heavy wind today. :D

you are too kind my friend

So nothing significant. I am thinking the 12* would be quite beneficial for me off the tee, and cant help but ponder this driver over and over.

So I have had a chance to gather my thoughts from todays round with this driver and what I can say is that I think with the low spin head, the 12* just fits me well. Into a heavy wind, I lost a few yards of distance. Downwind, I gained a few more (in air longer). Normal conditions, things were similar and I did not miss a single fairway in the 9 holes I hit it.

I am putting it on the launch monitor this weekend to see what I come up with, but I can say that it could be my gamer for quite a while after the Morgan Cup too. Those that know me, know that despite testing every piece of equipment that comes out, I dont change all that often and part of that is because I think there is a comfort that one gets with clubs. You have the honeymoon period, then it fades, and rather than replace, I ride it out. Picking up this one was as if I had passed the honeymoon and the fade period and it was as if it had been made for me (it was) all along.

Some would ask, could that not just be the honeymoon period? Maybe its just me, but I can tell a difference in picking up something that is new and shiny and works, compared to something that just feels like it fits. This was the latter. My swing is goofy, I come over the top, my weight shift is not always perfect, I use too much arms, etc....But when push comes to shove, from 18 inches behind the ball to 18 inches after the ball, the club is pretty square when I come through it and I usually make decent contact. This driver with its gigantic face and good looks (that are better in person), just screams confidence.

I honest to God feel bad for the opponents that I face at the Morgan Cup. Losing to a little man that has Grimmace as his handler has just awoken a beast. Going back to my roots in many things has changed my outlook and going back to the best shaft I have ever played in golf, is something special for me. Call it ego, confidence, trash talk or anything else and I am cool with it. This driver gives me a certain freedom that I have never had before I dont think. Or at least not recently. I have always been a decent driver of the ball, but a few got a way from me each round and it has always been the reason that I have struggled to get to a certain level. My irons have usually worked good enough and I think I have a pretty decent short game, but the driver has always given me a certain fit that no matter what I did I could not tame....until now.

Thank you Cleveland Golf for producing something that makes me play the game differently. I have more to say but will save it for something else. The year of innovation continues and its about going back to your roots Cleveland Classic style.

JB with utter confidence in a club spells bad baaaaaaaaaad things for opponents.

Excellent little write up of thoughts JB, I really need to hit this one.

Wow, what a writeup! I just dropped my Classic off to have the Miya Blue shaft installed in it. Can't wait!

JB with utter confidence in a club spells bad baaaaaaaaaad things for opponents.

Excellent little write up of thoughts JB, I really need to hit this one.

Wow, what a writeup! I just dropped my Classic off to have the Miya Blue shaft installed in it. Can't wait!

Thanks guys.

Good info there JB outside of the trash talk. Ha

Seriously though, I know you guys are seeing some really good performance out of this and it is probably the club I am most excited about hitting in just over 2 weeks.

Outside of what I may have to witness in July, I really am happy to see this performing and the fact that it is 12* intrigues the heck out of me.

Sounds to me that JB has taken all excuses for a loss out of the bag with those wonderful results!

Sounds to me that JB has taken all excuses for a loss out of the bag with those wonderful results!

I dont make excuses. Ever.

Can't wait to see the LM results JB, sounds like you got a winner!

That sure does make me ponder a possible 12* Classic with a good shaft.

So only rough guesstimate is 5 yards loss? From what I have read you typically hit fairways with driver, Is the 12* that much easier to control? Whats the biggest difference between the 10.5 and 12?

So only rough guesstimate is 5 yards loss? From what I have read you typically hit fairways with driver, Is the 12* that much easier to control? Whats the biggest difference between the 10.5 and 12?

For me it was more control. That was the biggest difference. A little higher ball flight as well of course, however I went to a slightly lower launching shaft to fix that.

That sure does make me ponder a possible 12* Classic with a good shaft.

I honestly believe that could do you wonders. Good thing is, I bet you can have a crack with JB's in a couple of weeks dude.

Terrific info JB. Could you compare and contrast what you are seeing with the Classic vs. the J40 you were playing?

I honestly believe that could do you wonders. Good thing is, I bet you can have a crack with JB's in a couple of weeks dude.

I never hit another man's driver! You could be cranking em' dead off the center off the face all day and the second you touch another man's driver, CLANK!!! Sky mark!

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Back