Cleveland Launcher Ultralite Driver & FW

I really like the 3wood buddy but the drivers and I just don't work. At least they haven't in the past. I keep thinking that I want to try the 290 series again but I just can't pull the trigger. There's a bit of doubt in my mind for some odd reason.

I am the same way, I tried the driver at the outing last year for a couple of holes and just could not comfortable with it. I tried the 17* 3W from Cleveland, liked it but it ultimately lost to the Callaway that is in my bag now. Of course now that it is out of the store, the Callaway is deciding to be a pest and not behave so it might have to go back to the store...lol

I hit the 290 at the outing in may and hated it. I couldn't hit it to save my life, I have no idea what has changed between now and then, but I love it now.

Was hoping you guys could help me out here.

I hit a used 12* XL270 Draw version, with C Kua A flex at Golf Galaxy last week. Normally on this monitor I see 195-210 max distance with a driver.
I was hitting the XL270 in the 220-230 range and dispersion was fairly tight. It wasn't a happy monitor either as I hit 5 other drivers that day and they were 210 at best.

The only other 12* version they had in a regular flex had a Graffaloy shaft. This one seemed about 10 yards shorter than the C Kua A flex.

So my question is with my slower tempo, average swing speed of 82mph (85 if the stars align) is the A flex too soft for me or should I be playing a regular flex the C Kua?

Right now I am gaming an Adams 4g Ultralight (Bassara R flex) and I can never seem to the load the shaft.
Same thing with my FT-IQ (Fubuki R flex). The only driver I ever seemed to load was my Nickent 4dx Evolver with ProForce v2 HL A flex.

Also I am sure this has been answered before but couldnt find it. Is the C Kua sold in the XL270 club "a made for shaft" or is it the real deal?

Was hoping you guys could help me out here.

I hit a used 12* XL270 Draw version, with C Kua A flex at Golf Galaxy last week. Normally on this monitor I see 195-210 max distance with a driver.
I was hitting the XL270 in the 220-230 range and dispersion was fairly tight. It wasn't a happy monitor either as I hit 5 other drivers that day and they were 210 at best.

The only other 12* version they had in a regular flex had a Graffaloy shaft. This one seemed about 10 yards shorter than the C Kua A flex.

So my question is with my slower tempo, average swing speed of 82mph (85 if the stars align) is the A flex too soft for me or should I be playing a regular flex the C Kua?

Right now I am gaming an Adams 4g Ultralight (Bassara R flex) and I can never seem to the load the shaft.
Same thing with my FT-IQ (Fubuki R flex). The only driver I ever seemed to load was my Nickent 4dx Evolver with ProForce v2 HL A flex.

Also I am sure this has been answered before but couldnt find it. Is the C Kua sold in the XL270 club "a made for shaft" or is it the real deal?

The miyazaki c. kua shaft is the real deal and from the sounds of it you answered your own question. If you were hitting it that much further than your normal driver on the monitor, I would grab that driver and run to the nearest driving range to confirm your results.

Let us know how it all turns out.

The C. Kua in the Cleveland line is the real deal.

As for your fitting, I would think that based on your success you saw on the monitor, that should answer your question. More distance and tight dispersion. Hard to argue with that.

Absolutely love the kusala black shaft in my tl310. Probably added about 10 yards due to better trajectory and just bombing it. I love :cleveland: so much.

Absolutely love the kusala black shaft in my tl310. Probably added about 10 yards due to better trajectory and just bombing it. I love :cleveland: so much.

You put a Kusala Black in a TL 310??? That sounds badass.

Thanks guys for answering my question.
I am looking around for a killer deal on it as the used one at GG was pretty banged up and they still wanted $155 for it.
Found some pretty clean ones on ebay for under that from reputable dealers.

You put a Kusala Black in a TL 310??? That sounds badass.

Yeah the stock shaft ballooned on me a little and was a tad bit light. Same set up as Keegan Bradley except he has a 10.5 degree.

Just an update even though I know this is getting to be an older driver now, the SL 290 is a canon for me, and I've never driven the ball further with any driver. I've been working on my swing a lot lately and taking lessons and the past week or so things have seemed to finally have clicked for me and I'm driving the ball further than ever. Today it was 32* out and I went to a range that is near my office and I was hitting 240 carry all day today. That is long for me in the summer at that range, let alone in the middle of winter.

This driver is forgiving, sounds great, and just hits the ball a mile. Paired with the Miyazaki shaft it is simply a beast of a driver that could probably start being had for a steal now that Cleveland is going to be releasing the 2012 line.

Oh, and the midsize blue Winn lite grip not only looks good on the club but performs very well for me.

I know this is an old thread but I picked up a 17* fairway today. I'm going to rry the switch to a 4 wood , instead of a 3 and 5. Hope I have some of the good results others did.

i have been seriously contemplating picking up an FL 3 wood. I have come terms with the fact that me and my r11 3wood are not going to be friends and I was absolutely crushing the FL 15* at the store yesterday....the only thing holding me back right now is that im stuck between going with the 15* or 17*. My hybrid is 19* and i hit it about 220, so having the 17* in the 240-250 range might be perfect.....but then again i know i would like the lower ball flight of the 15* off the tee...what to do....what to do...

i have been seriously contemplating picking up an FL 3 wood. I have come terms with the fact that me and my r11 3wood are not going to be friends and I was absolutely crushing the FL 15* at the store yesterday....the only thing holding me back right now is that im stuck between going with the 15* or 17*. My hybrid is 19* and i hit it about 220, so having the 17* in the 240-250 range might be perfect.....but then again i know i would like the lower ball flight of the 15* off the tee...what to do....what to do...

Any way you can demo them both? Do you have any problems getting the 15° up in the air? I think the benefit of the 17° is that it can launch higher and spin a little more for people that need help with trajectory.

Any way you can demo them both? Do you have any problems getting the 15° up in the air? I think the benefit of the 17° is that it can launch higher and spin a little more for people that need help with trajectory.

yea the store i went to didnt have any 17* in stiff, but i definitely need to find one to demo before i make any decisions. Im a fairly high ball hitter so im not too worried about launching the 15*, plus i was getting a pretty good trajectory on the launch monitor with it...i guess im just thinking the 17* might be a little more versatile off the deck and out of light rough...and i do like the idea of more height and spin when attacking a par 5 in two. although, if i could learn from my past experiences, i would know that i should probably just lay up everytime on par 5's.:act-up:

yea the store i went to didnt have any 17* in stiff, but i definitely need to find one to demo before i make any decisions. Im a fairly high ball hitter so im not too worried about launching the 15*, plus i was getting a pretty good trajectory on the launch monitor with it...i guess im just thinking the 17* might be a little more versatile off the deck and out of light rough...and i do like the idea of more height and spin when attacking a par 5 in two. although, if i could learn from my past experiences, i would know that i should probably just lay up everytime on par 5's.:act-up:

My husband and I both had better numbers on the launch monitor with the 17* including better distance (about 10 yards). I hope you get to compare numbers before you make your decision. It would be interesting to see how your numbers compared. Good luck!

My husband and I both had better numbers on the launch monitor with the 17* including better distance (about 10 yards). I hope you get to compare numbers before you make your decision. It would be interesting to see how your numbers compared. Good luck!

Thanks for the info KellyBo! now im definitely interested in seein my numbers with the 17*...

Went to a Cleveland demo day today over on the east coast and one club absolutely blew me away. The FL 3 wood with the c. kua 59 in flex code 5674. Hit this better than any fairway wood I've ever touched, ridiculously impressive. The range was facing into a 15 mph wind and the ball was penetrating right through it like a shark through water. Every single ball was dead freaking straight, zero lateral movement, which for me is unheard of.

The shaft felt perfect, feeling it unload at impact was pleasing and gave me the feeling that every bit of power I had was being transferred into the ball. Hit a few off the grass and the result was similar, lower ball flight that produced a great carry. I kind of wanted to take it home with me right then and there.

Went to a Cleveland demo day today over on the east coast and one club absolutely blew me away. The FL 3 wood with the c. kua 59 in flex code 5674. Hit this better than any fairway wood I've ever touched, ridiculously impressive. The range was facing into a 15 mph wind and the ball was penetrating right through it like a shark through water. Every single ball was dead freaking straight, zero lateral movement, which for me is unheard of.

The shaft felt perfect, feeling it unload at impact was pleasing and gave me the feeling that every bit of power I had was being transferred into the ball. Hit a few off the grass and the result was similar, lower ball flight that produced a great carry. I kind of wanted to take it home with me right then and there.

That's the same thing I felt at last year's demo day when I hit the 5 wood. It was just unbelievable! What loft 3 wood did you hit?

That's the same thing I felt at last year's demo day when I hit the 5 wood. It was just unbelievable! What loft 3 wood did you hit?

The 15*, hit the 17* as well but it had a 39gram shaft in it, went crazy high. There are a few more demo days coming up after new years so I'm going to all I can.

--
tapatalk

I've been pondering that Kua 59 a bit lately, SW and I'm glad to see you got a chance to check it out. Have you ever hit the 310?

I've been pondering that Kua 59 a bit lately, SW and I'm glad to see you got a chance to check it out. Have you ever hit the 310?

Yep, multiple times. Tried again today and I still don't enjoy it as much as the Black, 270, or 290. Little to low for me and its all over the place left and right. No clue what is about it either man, the fitter watched me hit a few and quickly said "yeah that's not the for you."

Wish I could give you better insight about it dude, but I don't get along with it.

--
tapatalk

No worries. Fairways are a different animal than drivers. Glad to hear you had some success today!

I added the SL290 and FL 15* 3wd this year. The C.Kua 43R shaft 7511 flex code is in both and fits me well. I have a 92-95 driver swing speed and a quick transition. The driver has worked pretty well - I think the 45.75" length is a bit long for me and leads to some accuracy issues. The 3wd has been fantastic and is my favorite club right now. It works well off the tee or the deck and is almost as long as the driver. The club just feels "hot".

I've been thinking a ton about a sl 270/290 with a kasula white shaft. The 270 and 290 has a little lower ball flight than the driver I'm working with now. While I enjoy that one very much I am a tad concerned about the weather in myrtle beach come MC time. I know the courses aren't subject to the wind I get down here, I do want to take all the variables into account. Any other Cleveland staffers have input to share?

--
tapatalk

Honestly, SW - I wouldn't worry about height unless it's costing you yards somewhere. If the wind is so bad that you need to keep the ball down you could always hit a low 3W or hybrid. I'd look at what you hit the farthest and straightest first.

Back