Fairway Wood Decision

TMSHACKS

Bridgestone Staffer
Reaction score
Hello all one of my first posts here. For the past few hours I have been browsing trying to find one topic talking about a few different FW and cant seem to find one.

I have always hit drivers well but struggled with 3 woods. I have no 3 wood in my bag right now. Driver is a r11. Looking at loading up the 3 wood of course before season starts and making my decision.

What are your top 5 3 woods on the market right now. Also I will be buying a used 3 wood most likely since I just bought the r11 and will also be re gripping my clubs here soon.

Looking at the R9 tp, Adams Speedline, Titleist 909f2, Burner Superfast, r7 and Nike VR ST8

If I was to make a list for myself it would be (in no particular order):

TM R11
Cobra Rail F
Cleveland Launcher Ultralite FL
TM R9
Cally Diablo Octane

The R9 is a great FW IMO, i love it and it always beat everything else i hit. The R11 is even better lol. The 910 is also a very nice FW, if you mainly use it from the tee i would get the
910Fd. Dont count out the Tour Edge Exotics FW, either the CB3 Tour, XCG3, CB2 ect.

I found that I hit the Cleveland 17* 3 wood much better than a 15* 3 wood. I just ordered their new FL Ultralite and it is very easy to hit for me. I'm excited to finally have one back in my bag.

I found that I hit the Cleveland 17* 3 wood much better than a 15* 3 wood. I just ordered their new FL Ultralite and it is very easy to hit for me. I'm excited to finally have one back in my bag.

love my launcher 09 17 degree fairway. Very forgiving and easy to hit.

I got rid of my 3 and bagged a 4 Wood. I love my R9. But I did like the Nike Dymo.

I think you've got a really good list going there, I liked Cobra Rail F I reviewed here and I also really like the SuperFast I've got in the bag now as well. You'd have to add the R11 and SuperFast 2.0 to your list and definitely the new Cleveland offerings as well. I know I'm missing some, but that just goes to show you how many options are out there right now! Enjoy your testing and let us know what you decide on.

+1 on the Tour Edge Exotics I have the CB2 15* and it is the best 3 wood I have ever hit.

There are a lot of really good 3woods out there right now and I'll try not to include new models since you said you probably had to buy used.

1. TM Burner Superfast - quite possibly the best 3wood I've ever hit. I love the feel, the sound, and especially the results. It's easy to hit off the deck if you want to, it offers a nice, high ball flight without sacraficing length.

2. Nike SQ or Dymo - one of the more underrated 3woods I've hit. I liked both models quite a bit, but the stock grip is not good.

3. Ping G15 - loved the sound, classic looks, easy to hit, but I did find the occassional hook with it, and that's not my typical shot shape.

4. Cobra F-Speed or Rail - solid performer, classic looks, nice low profile, and a good classic sound off the face.

5. Taylormade R9 - one of the best fairway woods out there. Smaller head than the Superfast, classic shape, and it offers that sound and feel that you are use to with TM woods.

I have the titleist 909 and love it. It plays great from both the tee and the fairway. I have it in 15.5* so it plays a little weaker than some 3 woods, but it fills a good gap for me. The stock Aldila shaft is nice as well. My brother has the r9 (not TP) and he likes that one as well. I like the feedback I get from my 909 better than his R9 but different strokes for different folks I s'pose.

Welcome to THP Shacks, head over to the Check In Desk and introduce yourself to everyone!

I like last year's Cleveland Launcher 3 wood.

One that I use now and comes in under the radar is Mizuno MP titanium,first real FW i can hit off the deck

Tied for #1.
Mizzuno MX-700. Its a beast off the tee and pretty good from the fairway.
Cleveland XLS. Great off the tee and great off the fairway. The XLS woods are still in my bag after 3 years.

#2. Cleveland Launcher 09 17*. Very easy off the fairway, pretty decent off the tee.

#3. TM R9. A very close third- but the 4 wood was way better then the 3 wood- and the XLS out preforms it.

Bonus pick! If you can find it. This one is great! I used it for nearly 10 years. If I get some extra cash I may pick one up and throw a nice shaft into it.

stk_x_large.jpg

#3.

TaylorMade Superfast is a great FW wood! Huge and hot face makes it a performer off the tee. It has a nicely rolled leading edge that makes it easy to hit off the deck as well unlike lots of other FW woods out there. Only thing I would tell you is cut a half an inch off the shaft if you get it if you aren't to sensitive to swing weights because the shaft in this thing is friggin' long!

In addition to the other suggestions here, I would include the Nike Machspeed as well

Good luck on your search !! No particular order..

Nike Dymo: Maybe a little bias but one of the smoothest and easiest to hit that I've ever encountered. You can pick them up at a good price right now as well. Not the longest I've hit but definitely one of the easiest. My favorite sounding of all the FW's.

Burner Superfast: Eyeballing distances the 5w was going further than my current 3w. Real easy to hit and the ballflight was pretty nice. It sounds great as well. The looks are comforting at address.

Cleveland DST: I was blown away by the distance. The feel was fantastic too. I don't have as much time with this one as the others but it really is a great club. The new ultralites are going to be worth a look as well!

You're going to have a good time looking at 3w's.

1. TM Burner Superfast - quite possibly the best 3wood I've ever hit. I love the feel, the sound, and especially the results. It's easy to hit off the deck if you want to, it offers a nice, high ball flight without sacraficing length.

The original TM Superfast is amazing, I'm so excited to try the new 2.0. The rest of my shortlist would have to be.

2. TM R11
3. Ping K15
4. Callaway Diablo Octane

I just upgraded my '07 burner 3w/5w to last years Superfast 3W. I ended up getting a 3W that is longer than my old 3W and easier to hit than my old 5W- that's a great combination. If that isn't enough, I actually hit it further off the deck than off a tee!

I would certainly keep an eye on it in addition to all the new ones about to hit the market. The price will continue to drop and you may not see a drop off in performance.

Once the Northeast thaws out I'm gonna give the TEE XCG-4 a good look

I just upgraded my '07 burner 3w/5w to last years Superfast 3W. I ended up getting a 3W that is longer than my old 3W and easier to hit than my old 5W- that's a great combination. If that isn't enough, I actually hit it further off the deck than off a tee!

I would certainly keep an eye on it in addition to all the new ones about to hit the market. The price will continue to drop and you may not see a drop off in performance.

With the release of the Superfast 2.0 the "old" Superfast is like $160ish, great price. I'm still pumped to see how the 2.0 holds up to the old superfast (March can't get here soon enough")

TaylorMade Superfast is a great FW wood! Huge and hot face makes it a performer off the tee. It has a nicely rolled leading edge that makes it easy to hit off the deck as well unlike lots of other FW woods out there. Only thing I would tell you is cut a half an inch off the shaft if you get it if you aren't to sensitive to swing weights because the shaft in this thing is friggin' long!

long shaft will help since im close to 6'5

TM Superfast 1.0 or 2.0
Titleist 909F
Adams Speedline F11
Nike SQ Sumo
TM R11

I myself prefer the Superfast but as you know everybody is different.

TM Superfast 1.0 or 2.0
Titleist 909F
Adams Speedline F11
Nike SQ Sumo
TM R11

The TM SF wood was great when I was originally searching for a 3 wood. Great sound, ballflight and good distance. Tested against the Nike SQ Sumo and the TM R9. Ended up going with the Nike SQ Sumo since it was about half the price and I got almost the exact same performance out of it (Actually a little better from the tee).
I myself prefer the Superfast but as you know everybody is different.

Back