Golf Course Membership

Texasbrons

FXDF FatBobs Rule!!
Reaction score
Handicap
My Mouth!!
Maybe this topic has been covered. I searched several times with variations and never saw anything, but if it is feel free to yell at me and move it.

What is the opinion of being a member of a golf club vs just playing course to course?

The reason that I ask is there are several courses in my area that have some really reasonable prices on memberships, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger to do it. Money is and isn't the problem. I easily afford the memberships, the problem comes when I do the math for how many games I would have to play, I can just go there and play for cheaper as opposed to being a member. I also don't live in a neighborhood on a course, but I don't know that I would join even if I did for these reasons.

The other thing is that there are a LOT of great golfing deals in the Kansas City area where a guy can play pretty cheaply and a lot of really nice courses out here that are available to the public. I don't want to feel like I have to play at one course since that is where my money is already going. Plus, it's doubtful that any of my current group would become members. Then that also goes into the number of games that I feel I would have to play to get my money's worth. If I'm golfing somewhere else, that's taking away from that count.

Lastly, that's great if I play one course and become really adept there, and get to single digit handicap, but then when you go to another course you can't carry that same game. Kind of like the bowler who carries a 210 average at his home lanes, but put him in a tourney somewhere else and he can't bowl 160.

I like the experience of different courses and the different challenges and I think that all in all it probably makes you a better golfer in the end.

Am I missing something? I know I'm not the only person who thinks of these things so what are the benefits of belonging to one club? Do you ever get tired of playing the same course over and over and over again? Or do you say screw the monetary side of it and go play other courses anyway?

Sounds like membership isnt for you. For me it works, there are exchange programs with other clubs, so I get to play lots of other courses, but its a personal decision.

First, you'll likely get all the free range balls and use of the practice area you want. People paying per round to play don't, and if it's a private course, they can't even come there unless invited, so in theory, it's less crowded and better maintained than most public courses.

Second, Golf course memberships aren't just about the golf. Most places have other amenities that come with the membership, such as a restaurant, perhaps tennis, perhaps a pool. Again, those things aren't available to the common person.

Even in the situation where it's a public course that offers memberships, you generally still get free range balls and discounts in the pro shop with a membership.

You're right that unless you play a LOT of golf, you often can come out cheaper in the per-round pricing around town. However, you have to factor in the value of the benefits mentioned above. However, if the club you're considering is private, you need to find out if they have food minimums, and also if they do assessments. If they do do assessments, you'll want to have a rainy-day fund. It sucks when the pro announces, "we're going to re-do the #11 green. Therefore, we're assessing all members $9,000 to pay for it."

Finally, it's also about the social aspects. You'll meet a lot more people playing at the same course all the time, probably become friends with some, and others might be valuable as business associates.

But, if it's not your cup of tea, by all means, there's nothing wrong with just playing whatever course has the best deal of the day.

If one is looking at a golf membership as a cost saver or money deal, then most likely it is not for them. Golf memberships to a private facility are much more than that. Having games available, social setting, amenities and the fact that you dont have to play with the public are all reasons to join a golf club.

I like belonging to a club. The course is good and I know it'll be in good condition. The practice facilities are maybe the best in the area and I can just wander up whenever I like. I know people. Sometimes I'll go up to practice, but actually spend more time chatting to someone than actually practising. I can walk into the bar and people will ask how I'm doing. It's a member owned club, so I get to have a say in how it runs and future plans. I like these things.

I like belonging to a club. The course is good and I know it'll be in good condition. The practice facilities are maybe the best in the area and I can just wander up whenever I like. I know people. Sometimes I'll go up to practice, but actually spend more time chatting to someone than actually practising. I can walk into the bar and people will ask how I'm doing. It's a member owned club, so I get to have a say in how it runs and future plans. I like these things.

What club are you a member of? I am a member of 2 clubs now, my main club is Torrance park in newhouse and i have took out a country membership at falkirk tryst which is only costing me £125 from now untill april and then only £220 for the year after that.

What club are you a member of? I am a member of 2 clubs now, my main club is Torrance park in newhouse and i have took out a country membership at falkirk tryst which is only costing me £125 from now untill april and then only £220 for the year after that.

Dang that's cheap! I'm a member of Balmore, it's between Milngavie and Kirkintilloch really.

Dang that's cheap! I'm a member of Balmore, it's between Milngavie and Kirkintilloch really.

yes its cheap as the country memmbership is for folk staying a fair distance from the course, its only a 30 minute drive for me and as the course is on sandy soil its playable all year round with no winter tees, fairway mats or winter greens I will only play it once a week but i will get my moneys worth. Its a very good course as well.

I would agree with the general thoughts expressed here. The idea of dollar cost averaging a golf membership just isn't going to pay off. My dues are $550/mth and I play 4-5 times a month, those aren't good numbers however my wife and daughter use the club, junior program and ladies league, we eat there twice a month and have friends through the club so $550 enables us to socialize within a community that we enjoy. If it were purely a golf play I'd probably just sign up for a few associate memberships at good daily fee tracks.

I'm a member at a public facility, privately owned. I like being a member, not too many perks, but at least they know me lol. Really though, it's just to have easy access for practice rounds. I also ended up joining 2 leagues there, so it's nice just going out whenever I want outside of league play to get some practice holes in and test out new equipment or bag setups.

The weekends I save to try and play around at different courses. And TBH, due to the membership I've been practicing a lot this year and shaved 2-3 strokes off my handicap. I'm playing around a 5 the past few months. And with all the practice I already covered the membership fee in mid June. So I would suggest joining somewhere if you're serious about your game.

My wife will never let me join a private club, unfortunately. She sees it as a fraternity of sorts, where you're paying to be a part of something cool and make friends. It's sort of true, people will join to network but I just want to golf.

I like to travel around to different courses as well, and that is the reason that I DID join a country club. Not only do I save money from the number of times I play my home course each year, but I can play quite a few reciprocal courses as well that are all private and all I pay for is my cart. And no matter which course I play I don't have to worry about it being busy and the atmosphere among the people is completely different than going to a public course.

Maybe this topic has been covered. I searched several times with variations and never saw anything, but if it is feel free to yell at me and move it.

What is the opinion of being a member of a golf club vs just playing course to course?

I much prefer to be a member. The atmosphere, knowing everyone, always having a game available, accessibility to the course, no six hour rounds..

The reason that I ask is there are several courses in my area that have some really reasonable prices on memberships, but I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger to do it. Money is and isn't the problem. I easily afford the memberships, the problem comes when I do the math for how many games I would have to play, I can just go there and play for cheaper as opposed to being a member. I also don't live in a neighborhood on a course, but I don't know that I would join even if I did for these reasons.

I definitely work hard to get everything out of my membership, and if you're not a regular, I think you've got a good point.

The other thing is that there are a LOT of great golfing deals in the Kansas City area where a guy can play pretty cheaply and a lot of really nice courses out here that are available to the public. I don't want to feel like I have to play at one course since that is where my money is already going. Plus, it's doubtful that any of my current group would become members. Then that also goes into the number of games that I feel I would have to play to get my money's worth. If I'm golfing somewhere else, that's taking away from that count.

Lastly, that's great if I play one course and become really adept there, and get to single digit handicap, but then when you go to another course you can't carry that same game. Kind of like the bowler who carries a 210 average at his home lanes, but put him in a tourney somewhere else and he can't bowl 160.

Simple solution? Join a difficult golf course. I can easily shoot scratch on an easy pub/muni, but have only done it a few times on my home course. It's extremely challenging and that's a big part of what I like about it.

I like the experience of different courses and the different challenges and I think that all in all it probably makes you a better golfer in the end.

If you want a different challenge at your member course, switch a teebox.. Playing a course design from 6500 is a heck of a lot different than playing it from 6900. Plus, there are always different styles to play (conservative, all or nothing, etc)

Am I missing something? I know I'm not the only person who thinks of these things so what are the benefits of belonging to one club? Do you ever get tired of playing the same course over and over and over again? Or do you say screw the monetary side of it and go play other courses anyway?

I never ever ever get tired of playing my home course (and I have probably played it 65 full 18s worth this year). I am confident in the conditions and the service, have pretty much never had a bad experience on the course, and get to become friends and play with countless people. It's a lot more than just golfing for me. Plus an unlimited range and practice facilites.. I just don't think it can be beat.

I am in the group that is a member at a public course...I only pay $75 per month for unlimited golf and range balls and then I have to pay a $10 cart fee each time...the weekend green fee is $40 bucks here....so I just have to play 2 times a month to get my monies worth.

The drawback is that it is a public course so I still have to deal with long rounds on the weekends and there are no other amenities like grill, bar or pool. I live in a small town 60 miles from Houston....there is only one other course in my town and it's the Country Club...but it's only a 9 hole course.

I like my membership because I can play as much as I want for $10 for a cart and practice all I want for free....then when I feel like it, I get a group and go play a nice course in Houston.

I have a membership to a club that is public but has membership options as well. I have it because it saves me a lot of money. My membership is for this semester and I have already played enough golf to have covered that cost.

Thinking that everyone has made some very valid points for and against membership. Myself, I joined an out of town course last year for a reasonable rate. Its a course that doesn't suit my game so it could only help me improve which I liked. There are reciprocals at other courses at very reduced rates as well.
One other advantage to course membership is maintaining a verified handicap you can use for competitions, whether it's a club championship or an open at some other course. If you've never participated in one of these events that are highly organized with rules officials I recommend trying it at least once. It can be rather eye opening. Having said all that I know some areas also have things like the Public Players Club here in Alberta that allow you to carry a handicap even though you are not a member of any specific course.

Doug

I'm a member at a nice club, its great but you have to want to be part of a club and be a "member". If you just want cheaper golf than it probably isn't for you.

Another benefit is being able to participate in club tournaments.

Right now I am a member at a public course... the golf course is fun and challenging, I have access to 2 other courses, and we have a great group of guys. The drawbacks are 5 hour rounds on weekends and its a long haul from my house (45-50 mins). I've certainly been debating the last 2 years of moving to a private course which is 2 miles from my house, since I have 3 kids including a 2 year old and an infant. The cost would be 2-3x more (higher dues, carts, food), which certainly doesn't compare to what I pay now, but my weekend rounds would be 3 1/2-4 hours vs the 7+ hours I spend now. I really haven't pulled the trigger because the club has serious financial issues, and a deal which could have helped resolve some of those issues fell through. The other issue is I would lose the group of guys I play with now, and there isn't nearly anything close to the level of golfers at the private course (its mostly an older membership). As such I have inquired at a few other local Country Clubs and hope to look at them in the next few weeks.

Well, there has been a lot of really great replies and all of you guys have given me something to mull over. I have to admit, I am a bit of a penny pincher, so that is why I was primarily thinking of it from the financial perspective. And a little bit from the variety of courses as well. I may have to start doing some shopping around in my area and seeing what is out there. I especially like the idea of reciprocal courses with a membership. At least that will change it up a little.

Groupon deals have definitely made golf cheaper, and there is a deal in Kansas City run by Kansas City Golfer Magazine where you buy a package of let's say 20 coupons for $120 where you can go to 20 different golf courses and only pay for the cart fee ($20). I did that the prior 2 years and the courses were all really nice upper end courses. A couple were actually private courses. This year it was only for 10 courses and they were all not nearly as nice. I think that is also in part because there is a new players group that was selling memberships and it got you the same thing at 5 of the nicer courses in Kansas City, once again you only had to pay cart fees and then paid something like $30/month for the full 12 months.

All in all, both of those were great deals money wise, but you are still missing out on some of the benefits of being an actual club member.

Once again, thanks for all of your insight.

One of the main reasons I joined a club was for the club tournaments that are put on. I like the social side of it as well, but the competition in the club tournaments are a blast. Once you join a club and meet the members of the club, chances are they will have a group that you will fit into and play with each week.

Here are some other replies with that same question:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...laying-Different-Courses&highlight=membership

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?25165-Membership-Fees-and-Green-fees&highlight=membership

One of the biggest things I see from people joining country clubs is joining one that has affiliates with other clubs around the area. You join one but get access to others because they are under the same management company (CCA, Palmer, AGC, Troon, etc).

I'm a member at a public course but I didn't play most weekends (just during the week) so it wasn't all that crowded for me
I joined because they had a good student rate and it's the course I would normally play anyways. Also booking is available farther in advance for members than the public

As well included in the price was men's league which I joined because of that and my team ended up winning the league.

The course does have 27 holes so you can get some variety which is nice.

Back