Graphite Iron Shafts - Thoughts?

Sure do. Just like their driver counterparts. I think that most people on golf websites dismiss standard options as inferior when it is really not the case completely. To quote a great equipment person, there are people that overthink their equipment, and those that do not think about it enough. Shafts fit that bill more than anything.

Do certain OEM's do a better job of pairing the stock shafts based on performance than others? I am sure economics plays a large a role as well and I wonder if that tends to trump OEM's going with a higher quality shaft, especially when it comes to graphite options.

Do certain OEM's do a better job of pairing the stock shafts based on performance than others? I am sure economics plays a large a role as well and I wonder if that tends to trump OEM's going with a higher quality shaft, especially when it comes to graphite options.

I think so, but in the end, that is a fitting thing more than anything else. Every company wants something that fits because it will only make their product look better

Eh, I don't think I'll play graphite shafts for a long while. I see no benefits for me right now compared to steel, except maybe that you can get them lighter. But the cost is too much for me to ever get them. I'll stick with steel for the foreseeable future.

Minus that whole easier to fine tune someone with graphite than steel....

Looks like you can get AXE 0.355 graphite shaft 4-PW for about $120...if someone is looking for a deal.

My shoulder started to hurt a bit lately, and I am more and more intrigued by graphite topic.

YES YES

The aerotechs are amazing, I cant imagine surrendering them for anything else anytime soon. If it wasnt for the MC I doubt I would have ever tried them, so thankful I did!

I don't get why so many amateurs feel the need to play low launch shafts. Heavy steel shafts are not what most amateurs need. Graphite would probably help add clubhead speed, be lighter and easier to swing, and easier to fight a needed launch profile. Why wouldn't somebody at least entertain graphite. I bet it more major tour players, like Phil, used graphite shafts they would be all the rage.

I don't get why so many amateurs feel the need to play low launch shafts. Heavy steel shafts are not what most amateurs need. Graphite would probably help add clubhead speed, be lighter and easier to swing, and easier to fight a needed launch profile. Why wouldn't somebody at least entertain graphite. I bet it more major tour players, like Phil, used graphite shafts they would be all the rage.

I believe a certain player plays a PXi 6.5 in his 2 iron. Could be wrong though

Mine def have after trying the recoils I think I'd def consider graphite in my next set just need to be properly fit. I love how I feel after a range session less wear and tear on my wrists and hands.

I believe a certain player plays a PXi 6.5 in his 2 iron. Could be wrong though

Could you imagine if a tour play after a big early season win, right as new equipment was being released, came out and said, "These graphite shafts in my irons have made all the difference. I can flight the ball easier and they are better for my ailing joints."

Have your thoughts on changed on graphite shafts?

After first reading the testing thread and then hitting the UST Recoils at Demo Day both on the range and the course (thanks Jman) my thoughts were 100% changed.

Would you consider them if price was not an issue (which it is right now for most)?

Not only did I consider them. I now play them and at this point can't see myself going back to steel with the exception of my sand and lob wedge shafts.

I was a big time hater of graphite iron shafts until the recoil testing. The recoils have opened my eyes to what modern technology can do with graphite shafts, they have all the great qualities of a steel shaft with the dampening of graphite. The new graphite shafts are so good I can't see myself ever going back to steel shafts.

I think that graphite iron shafts have come a long way in the last handful of years. I'd be more than happy to game a set if they were the right fit for me, and I could find a set at a relatively affordable price. I'm definitely intrigued by the aerotechs & the recoils, just haven't found a place to hit them.

That said, I do think that the older perception of graphite being for seniors or women only is still very much alive and well. I can think of a good number of people I golf with that may scoff at me pulling a graphite shafted iron. Until I whoop them with it. :D Very rarely, if ever, will you see a demo iron at GS or GG with a stiff graphite shaft in it. Generally only A-flex or regular if you're lucky. I'd go further to say that even some of the higher end (non-big box store) fitters are still very much set in their ways when it comes to iron shafts and don't readily jump into recommending graphite iron shafts. Some of these are the same guys who haven't embraced the lighter weight driver setups yet either.

All of the above is really a shame too as I think that a great many golfers could benefit from graphite iron shafts. If they can afford them.

Love em' want em'. I think you can pack more technology into a graphite shaft than you can a steel shaft. I just need to find something that fits my game and budget. I should also add that for people thinking they are only needed for those who need to reduce pain is a myth.

YES YES

The aerotechs are amazing, I cant imagine surrendering them for anything else anytime soon. If it wasnt for the MC I doubt I would have ever tried them, so thankful I did!
Same here, when I was being fitted to Cobra clubs and they put the graphite in to try I don't know if I would have requested it. I will be from now on.

I've only ever used steel shafts, I've tried using graphite once but didn't like the feel. But I know that they can be tailored to the play a lot better than steel ones. But that price tag is a lot to swallow.

Back